Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible Malibu Purchase: 2004 Model Question

toyosuprablue

Hey Malibu Crew,

I'm looking into purchasing my first Malibu and have done some research, but was hoping to also get opinions / clarifications.  Owner says it is a Wakesetter, but I went through the 2004 catalog and a 25' Wakesetter is not an option.  Based on photos in the catalog I'm confident it is a Sunscape 25 LSV with the illusion tower.  Would it be that model with a wakesetter package or something?  Does that make sense?

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what exact model it is, but I'm curious what your thoughts are.  Anything specific to look out for when checking mechanicals?  It is equipped with the 8.1L Vortec.

Also, thoughts on whether it is a good deal are appreciated.  Assuming no mechanical and cosmetic issues.  It has 500 hours and all upholstery has been replaced a year ago.  Interior looks like new in photos.  Price is firm at $29k

The difference between the LSVs and Wakesetters of that era was built in ballast (for the Wakesetters).  If it has a center ski locker then it is an LSV - which may actually be preferable since you can put a nice ballast bag in place where a Wakesetter would have a hard tank there.  And skis too if your not using the ballast.  Also likely more room for aft ballast bags too.

I think it sounds like a good price.  Would suggest you do a compression test on the engine, and run it on a hose a bit if you can't test drive it.  Also make sure the prop shaft is straight by turning it.  Steering and rudder too.  Hard steering is an easy fix if it's binding but would be good to know.

Several good threads on this site regarding purchasing used boats.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:46 AM, MadMan said:

This is around the time Malibu/Indmar had bellhousing alignment issues, which caused damper failures.  Could effect the price.

Big block motor, which I don't believe is impacted by this.