Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Roswell vs Nauticurl vs DIY or other

ptagher

I’m having trouble dropping $400 on a wakeshaper that I know I can make myself. 

I have all the woodworking tools and ability to diy one but have seen so many I’m not sure which is the latest greatest diy one or if I should just buy one. 

I have a 2000 LSV and although we tried wakesurfing when we bought our boat about 10 years ago I haven’t tried since. 

I have no ballast as of now but will be “bagging” up some used chain in 50lb sacks since I can get that for free. 

I know someone that has the Roswell and loves it but have been seeing a few out there that have some slots along the outside edge to clean up the wake supposedly. I figure I could cut those out with a router if it does in fact help 

Any advice is appreciated. 

I’ve seen a lot of examples but haven’t seen any since some manufacturers began slotting, funneling, and flaring their designs. 

7 minutes ago, ptagher said:

I’ve seen a lot of examples but haven’t seen any since some manufacturers began slotting, funneling, and flaring their designs. 

All of the homemade versions I have seen have a pretty basic wedge shape.

At the boatshow I purchased a Mission Delta 2.0  which is supposed to have some improved suction cups.  If you are looking for a somewhat cheaper alternative, the Delta 1.0 seems to be selling out for under $300

One example

https://www.amazon.com/MISSION-Boat-Delta-Shaper-Solution/dp/B07NZV4KVW

Or the Swell is only $250

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K5Y6KQI/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01K5Y6KQI&pd_rd_w=SGigL&pf_rd_p=733540df-430d-45cd-9525-21bc15b0e6cc&pd_rd_wg=obfJh&pf_rd_r=V27RQ8BSJHH8P9FXV1BN&pd_rd_r=5aa8b394-4728-11e9-84ba-832727955b09

Edited by oldjeep
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like the consensus is they all work fairly well. I think I’m going with the Nauticurl since I like the looks and construction, and the design allows it to be placed as far back as possible. 

Now I need to make my weighted bags. I about killed myself picking up a 5 gallon bucket of used chain from work. 125lbs!

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty good video comparing a few commercially available suck gates. There are also lots of videos of people posting the wave made with home made suck gates too

• 3 months later...
On 3/29/2019 at 3:09 PM, ptagher said:

Now I need to make my weighted bags. I about killed myself picking up a 5 gallon bucket of used chain from work. 125lbs!

Mission also makes empty bags for weight.  A little pricey but they seem pretty nice. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, ptagher said:

I’m having trouble dropping $400 on a wakeshaper that I know I can make myself. 

I have all the woodworking tools and ability to diy one but have seen so many I’m not sure which is the latest greatest diy one or if I should just buy one. 

I have a 2000 LSV and although we tried wakesurfing when we bought our boat about 10 years ago I haven’t tried since. 

I have no ballast as of now but will be “bagging” up some used chain in 50lb sacks since I can get that for free. 

I know someone that has the Roswell and loves it but have been seeing a few out there that have some slots along the outside edge to clean up the wake supposedly. I figure I could cut those out with a router if it does in fact help 

Any advice is appreciated. 

About 7 years ago after those first teaser surfgate videos came out I fabricated one that clamped to the swim platform of my ‘01 for about $100 in stuff from a Lowes. OMG it was awesome what it did.   There’s a lot of suck gate how-to’s out there now.  The nice thing about DIY is its fun to invent and experiment.  It eats up a lot of time though.  So if you’re a bored engineer like me then go for it.  If you’re time from work or family is Worth a lot then just buy one.  They’ve advanced A LOT.

• Like 1

1/4” HDPE plastic ($6), 1/8” aluminum ($5), stainless hardware ($3) & Harbor Freight suction cup lifter ($8). I welded together. I tie a fender to it and set the fender in the boat. Works great. 

21BBFF80-70AA-46F6-BDCA-5BAB21903F9E.jpeg

13B1CC56-5446-4A34-B17F-498179497BD3.jpeg