Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maintenance on subscriptions

WakeGirl

Hey all,

I'm doing some work on the subscriptions system, partially in preparation for a large upgrade that we'll need to do this spring, partially because it has become a mess over the span of the last 14 years & multitudes of upgrades. The impact right now is on purchasing Paypal subscriptions, both recurring and non-recurring. I've had to disable the Paypal gateway while I migrate our existing subscriptions to a new system. You can still purchase a subscription through good old check-by-mail (and I've even updated the address to be correct), or if you want something sooner please contact @Ronnie and he'll take care of you.

I'll update this thread as I progress on this.

• Like 3

Is this going to fix the non recurring purchasing issues? I haven’t renewed because it wouldn’t let me and its a little frustrating to have to ask a mod anytime I want to support the site. 

Yes it will. That’s one of the problems we’ve been chasing. When you guys had an issues like that, we didn’t get notified. The only way we knew was when the member told us about it. 

@Pnwrider yes, I hope so. Question for you: when you try to renew, are you going through the store, or through your client area? I'm not implying that you're doing anything wrong in this process (because you're not), just trying to understand where the system is falling down.

When it goes to expiration, yes you'll need to set it back up. We're working on getting some better options in place so that we don't run into this again. Paypal's billing agreements were, well, less than ideal to put it mildly.

Ha, not in the plans anytime soon. I've kinda got to have a crew to share it with & that isn't the case at the moment. That's okay though, I made my peace with that a long time ago.

Part of the work that we're doing right now is to make things easier for community members to renew their memberships. One of the consistent issues that we've seen is that people will go to the store link to renew, but cannot check out from there because an invoice has already been generated in the system as part of the lead up to the expiration of a subscription. So at that point the user gets an error that they already have that item in their cart (or something similar) & doesn't allow them to check out. My guess is that people didn't know where to go to find that invoice to pay from (I certainly didn't), especially if they lost or never received the renewal email that the site sends out.

So after some digging, I think that I've found the solution. Anyone experiencing these issues can go to the "Account" tab. In that menu under Orders, there should be a pending invoice that you can pay from. There are other options to view the status of billing agreements, other purchases made through the store and personal information, but the Orders option is where you need to look for any pending invoices.

We're learning on this too, so if something doesn't look or function as we expect, let us know & we'll work through it with you.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:05 PM, WakeGirl said:

@Pnwrider yes, I hope so. Question for you: when you try to renew, are you going through the store, or through your client area? I'm not implying that you're doing anything wrong in this process (because you're not), just trying to understand where the system is falling down.

Through the store. 

5 hours ago, WakeGirl said:

Ha, not in the plans anytime soon. I've kinda got to have a crew to share it with & that isn't the case at the moment. That's okay though, I made my peace with that a long time ago.

Part of the work that we're doing right now is to make things easier for community members to renew their memberships. One of the consistent issues that we've seen is that people will go to the store link to renew, but cannot check out from there because an invoice has already been generated in the system as part of the lead up to the expiration of a subscription. So at that point the user gets an error that they already have that item in their cart (or something similar) & doesn't allow them to check out. My guess is that people didn't know where to go to find that invoice to pay from (I certainly didn't), especially if they lost or never received the renewal email that the site sends out.

So after some digging, I think that I've found the solution. Anyone experiencing these issues can go to the "Account" tab. In that menu under Orders, there should be a pending invoice that you can pay from. There are other options to view the status of billing agreements, other purchases made through the store and personal information, but the Orders option is where you need to look for any pending invoices.

We're learning on this too, so if something doesn't look or function as we expect, let us know & we'll work through it with you.

Was able to renew after the fix! 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, WakeGirl said:

Cool beans. So you were able to find the invoice to pay from in the Orders section?

I’m on mobile skin so not sure if it’s different, but clicked on subscriptions and was able to purchase there. 

Quick update:

I did a cleanup this morning on old pending invoices/transactions, so it's possible that some of you received a notification about that. Anything very old that was pending was cancelled.

Classifieds are now available through the subscriptions link. It made the most sense to set it up this way as a subscription rather than a store product.

Once we get things completely squared away with the subscriptions, we'll tackle the store items.