Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sinking Boat- AAR (After Action Review)

Chappy

Oldie but a goodie. See how many errors you can identify with this situation! Watch the Malibu that pops up in and out what the ... was this guy doing/thinking? Disaster strikes just past the 7 min mark.

Edited by Chappy

Dude in the jet boat just handling it like a boss.  Point the bow into the wind and just relax... no clue what that dude was thinking.

Breaks my heart to watch this video.  Who would want to be out on the lake on a day like that.  Very scary.

My question to the group:  Can you all point out all the things this guy could have done differently so as to not sink his boat.  For example, Bilge Pumps ON, place people in the back of the boat, etc?  Any other thoughts?

Why was someone in the bow driving around with the windshield open, is one of many. That boat had to be full of water before even getting close to the ramp.  Hats off to the guy driving the MC, he could have come in a little hotter but under the circumstances excellent job.

• Like 1

What a reminder to know the weather forecast before launching, so you can be off the lake before this kind of mess. 

If the weather is a surprise then find a cove on the windward side of the lake and you'll just have to wait it out. 

We all know this can happen and the one guest on your boat who complains about missing their hair appointment just got uninvited next trip.

Reminder - if you start to take water over the bow slam the boat in reverse. 

So many things wrong.... his boat appears loaded with ballast or lead as well, let alone his wreck less driving.  King of the power turn in high winds and white caps doesn't normally end well.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
  • Like 3

This guy kept going in circles and then heading back into his own wake with some speed.  He kept swamping himself by being an idiot.  Initially he probably thought it was funny getting the girls wet.  All I can think of is "what an idiot."  This most likely could have all been avoided.  This guy brought it on himself.

Wondering if there was lead in the bow on that boat.  That thing was riding super low in the front.  Even with someone in the front it shouldn't have been riding like that.  Both those MCs are lower profile boats and are much more level.  That's one of those times you don't obey the 'no wake' and just ride around at surf speeds with the bow up.  

• Like 2

Being 100% honest and actually asking this question... How would you avoid it? I have never been in that situation before and here in Oklahoma I should know how to handle it. I am very weather aware so I have that covered. If I was to get stuck on the water in high winds I would probably take cover by a sheltering cliff on our lake. Other than that what should be done?

Any tips? 

Very weird that water would stay in the bow.  If you take water over the bow, usually as soon as you hit the throttle, that water moves to the back, especially since there were about 5 people in the back and 1 in the front.

Yes, find a sheltered area. Trying to get on a trailer in those conditions is ROUGH.

If you must get off the water, bow up with throttle, people in the back of the boat. IF you have lead, move it back. If you have taken water on, get the bow of the boat up and get the bilge working.

1 minute ago, kstateskier1 said:

Very weird that water would stay in the bow.  If you take water over the bow, usually as soon as you hit the throttle, that water moves to the back, especially since there were about 5 people in the back and 1 in the front.

Yes, IF you remain with the bow up it will rush back. As soon as you let off, and the bow dips down, the water will slosh back forward. And when you let off, of course you're at risk to take more water over the bow, exacerbating the problem.

Lucky Peak Res. Boise ID is the location

the weather report called for STRONG winds that day.  We stayed home.  

This is a long narrow canyon and the wind can funnel through it but it’s a 5 - 10 min run to get around a corner.  

There is an inlet just across that water body that would’ve provided protection.   

I’ve been there when it’s done this and survived in a ski nautique.  I believe inexperience was the biggest culprit.  

• Like 4

yes, if you get caught in conditions like that the captain should order everyone to jacket up. That could have happened 100 or 200 yards out. Then what.  

3 hours ago, browneye253 said:

Dude in the jet boat just handling it like a boss.  Point the bow into the wind and just relax... no clue what that dude was thinking.

totally!

3 hours ago, P6Expert said:

Breaks my heart to watch this video.  Who would want to be out on the lake on a day like that.  Very scary.

My question to the group:  Can you all point out all the things this guy could have done differently so as to not sink his boat.  For example, Bilge Pumps ON, place people in the back of the boat, etc?  Any other thoughts?

Clearly he had ballast or lead in the boat, why is there someone in the bow, why is he driving so fast and powering through the waves, no bilge on, no life jackets..... this list goes on and on!  He would have been better of idling and letting the boat bob in the water.

2 hours ago, Hemmy said:

This guy kept going in circles and then heading back into his own wake with some speed.  He kept swamping himself by being an idiot.  Initially he probably thought it was funny getting the girls wet.  All I can think of is "what an idiot."  This most likely could have all been avoided.  This guy brought it on himself.

Totally could have been avoided!

2 hours ago, CBray4 said:

Being 100% honest and actually asking this question... How would you avoid it? I have never been in that situation before and here in Oklahoma I should know how to handle it. I am very weather aware so I have that covered. If I was to get stuck on the water in high winds I would probably take cover by a sheltering cliff on our lake. Other than that what should be done?

Any tips? 

I have been in this situation a few times on Lake Chelan in WA where the wind can pick up any moment and the waves get huge. Make sure all ballast is drained, bilge is on, move everyone back and give it just enough throttle to keep the nose above the waves. (And of course life jackets if the pucker factor starts to escalate!) I had to stand up to see where I was going but the hull broke the waves.  You will still get some side spray and everyone in the boat will be soaked but nothing like what happened here.  

From my experience with my XTi, those boats sit nose low due to the engine being midship. Throw someone in the front and it's a recipe for disaster. When I had my XTi and had my wife up front, the bow tip rub rail was but 8-9 inches off the surface.  

What I would have done, 

1. everyone to the rear, very rear, the XTI has mid and rear seating.

2. Pumps on, even if you have auto

3. Turn against the waves at a 30-45 degree angle so the boat rolls over the waves, not bound through them as you can scoop water pretty easily that way.

4. Go up against the wind for a minute or two at speeds fast enough to keep the boat level. Turn around and go fast enough to stay on the tail edge of a swell. Turn around and repeat. 

5. Get someone ready to storm the beach, turn toward the beach, as soon as the swim platform is down wind, they have to go (with jacket on), hopefully you can get it in about 3 feet of water. 

6. Trailering the boat, come in at a 45 to the trailer, about two boat lengths out, come about parallel to the trailer but a boat width up wind from it and the wind will push you side ways to alignment as you get to the trailer. I've trailered a boat many times in heavy current and think this would be similar.

7. Stop on the way home and pick up a six pack and a real dog. What was that thing??

• Like 2

Painful watching.  Looks like he just swamped himself, and had weight in the bow, pushing the bilge water into the bow.  They are all very lucky no one got hurt.  I've been caught in a squall before and it's not fun, but I wouldn't even try to trailer in that mess.  Like it's already been said, find a nice cove and wait it out.  Bilge pump on, bring everyone towards the stern, make everyone wear a life jacket, and keep the bow in the wind to reduce the rolling and tell stories about it around the campfire.  

I had a buddy there watching from the parking lot above the ramp.  He pulled his boat out before the wind got bad and was in the process of wiping it down.  He said by the time he got down there to help the people were safe and boat was sunk.  He said he talked to the driver/owner and was told they had a "ballast" malfunction.  Pretty obvious it was due to brain malfunction?!"  They are lucky no one got injured or worse.  So many things wrong with that video!  Knowing no one was hurt, I only feel bad for the dog and the boat!

• Like 2