Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Guage Bouncing

My 98 Response LX gas guage “bounces” and doesn’t display correctly.

Oddly my tow vehicle did the same thing, my mechanic replaced the fuel pump under warranty and it still doing same thing! He suggested the instrument cluster is the issue. 

My response runs excellent! Is this a instrument failure and likely not a fuel pump problem ? I appreciate everyone’s help. 

Edited by Robert2018
Spelling error
On 3/14/2019 at 11:13 AM, Robert2018 said:

Yep, I’d start at the sending unit like kerpluxal suggested. Here is a step by step...

On 3/14/2019 at 11:13 AM, Robert2018 said:

Oddly my tow vehicle did the same thing, my mechanic replaced the fuel pump under warranty and it still doing same thing! He suggested the instrument cluster is the issue. 

My response runs excellent! Is this a instrument failure and likely not a fuel pump problem ? I appreciate everyone’s help. 

On my 99, one wire off my sender goes to the engine block to ground, one goes to the MDC and one powers the sender. The ground wire must be grounded for some number of seconds before the gauge will work. Supposedly the delay is provided by the MDC to avoid the bounce problem. Check to see if you have good ground connections. I’m assuming that all other gauges are working correctly and you have no water pushed up the pitot tubes into the MDC.

7 hours ago, Bozboat said:

On my 99, one wire off my sender goes to the engine block to ground, one goes to the MDC and one powers the sender. The ground wire must be grounded for some number of seconds before the gauge will work. Supposedly the delay is provided by the MDC to avoid the bounce problem. Check to see if you have good ground connections. I’m assuming that all other gauges are working correctly and you have no water pushed up the pitot tubes into the MDC.

This is a very good point ! In fact one of my speedometers does not work so water into MDC is a possibility. I will find out in a couple more weeks when get boat out of storage 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, Robert2018 said:

Does it bounce when the boat is not moving, sitting on the trailer?

Edited by MadMan
15 hours ago, MadMan said:

I’m not sure?! I’ll know when get boat out of winter storage, but from what I remember even with boat idling on calm water guage bounced 

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2019 at 5:34 AM, MadMan said:

Yes it does bounce when boat sitting in driveway, fake a lake attached running