Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Your Boating/TMC History

ahopkins22LSV

So cool...I kneeboarded behind a Jon boat with something stupid like 25hp.  He had to move to the middle seat with arms reaching back to the tiller in an effort to lower the bow and get it up on plane!  A barefooter guy in a Mastercraft watching this fiasco came up to us and actually congratulated the effort!

ahopkins22LSV

I love that picture of the Chris Craft. Same color scheme as the 16’9” one we had. We only had an in-line 4 in ours though lol. This reminds me I need to dig up pictures of my dads old boats. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I love that picture of the Chris Craft. Same color scheme as the 16’9” one we had. We only had an in-line 4 in ours though lol. This reminds me I need to dig up pictures of my dads old boats. 

I loved that boat. My friend had the 169 with a 4 cylinder and it was a dog. The 200hp would pull you right up with 2 or 8 people in the boat once we propped her down. 34mph skiing was 5500rpm, though. Huge wake wasn’t so great.

My dad isn’t so great at maintenance and it killed me to see her degrading. I wanted to rebuild her but my wife (wise beyond her years) said it would not be a good idea.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, braindamage said:

I loved that boat. My friend had the 169 with a 4 cylinder and it was a dog. The 200hp would pull you right up with 2 or 8 people in the boat once we propped her down. 34mph skiing was 5500rpm, though. Huge wake wasn’t so great.

My dad isn’t so great at maintenance and it killed me to see her degrading. I wanted to rebuild her but my wife (wise beyond her years) said it would not be a good idea.

It was definitely a dog! I learned to deep water start behind that boat though!

My grandparents lived on the water in the "Northern Neck of Virginia" - where the Potomac River empties into the Chesapeake Bay.  I would spend my summers there as a child.  We had a 14' or 16' runabout that I learned to ski behind.  However the jellyfish were so numerous that we wore sweat shirts and pants (we couldn't afford a proper wetsuit) to keep from getting stung.  We didn't ski that often given the jellyfish problem, but it was a great introduction to boating.

It wasn't until college that I met a guy who was a serious waterskier.  His family had a '87 Mastercraft Prostar 190 (this was in the early 1990s) and he taught me to drive an inboard boat and slalom ski (course and free ski).  We both ended up teaching waterskiing at a summer camp for a few years.  Those were great times.  I think we put about 800 hours a summer on their inboard boats.  The camp bought 4 new boats every year.  One year we had Ski Brendella's (a piece of junk) and the next year they had Mastercrafts.

A couple of years after graduating from college, his family moved from the area, but my parents retired and bought lakefront property on the same lake I was use to skiing on.  We quickly bought a '93 Mastercraft PS 190 which we had for many years.  It was just a couple of years ago that we moved up to a '04 Malibu Response LXi.  My kids are now teenagers and we are definitely blessed that we live about an hour from the lake/my parents.  It has taken a while, but my kids are finally to the point where they enjoy waterskiing.  For a while, I thought I wasn't going to get them to do anything but tube!  

Edited by sic0048
23 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Definitely a theme going here.  I also grew up in and around boats.  My family has owned property on the same lake in Northern Wisconsin since the 1940s.  When "my" first boat was new in 1973, it was a damn hot-rod in those parts.  This was my Grandpa's boat.  He had 7 kids, all pretty active types.  The old 65 HP Johnson was a finicky thing to keep running, but it got the job done.  It looked just like this only with a Johnson instead of a Merc.  Mean Green.

glastron-v-156-1909562.jpg

My dad decided after I was a few years old that he needed his own boat since he wanted to learn how to barefoot (off a kneeboard, long line...).  So, through friends at Mercury (we lived in Fond du Lac WI at the time) he bought a 1985 Four Winns Horizon 190 with a 5.0L 230HP Mercruiser.  It was a beautiful, solid, nice-riding boat, but it was a dog out of the hole.  Still is.  My uncle still owns it and it still looks practically new.  Looked exactly like this.

ud0861-p.jpg

After three years of struggling with a boat that wasn't fast or hot enough for barefooting, and one that made a monster ski wake, my dad bought his dream boat (at the time).  This 1988 Concord Mach 1 with Merc 175 would rip your arms off out of the hole, top out at 70+, and made a ridiculously small slalom wake.  The performance-oriented hull wasn't the straightest-tracking, but if you had it trimmed in with the hammer down, you could make turns like those ridiculous jet boats you see on the YouTubes racing down in Australia.  Just insane performance.

24772165_IMG_20160831_093521_012.thumb.jpg.64585293806648078ace6d679d8706c0.jpg

One thing the Concord didn't like... at all... was running below 25 MPH.  Since my younger brother always catches on to the latest fads, we started wakeboarding around 1998 or so.  The Concord didn't like that.  Around that time, a guy on the lake with a Concord similar to ours flipped his over.  We towed him to shore, helped him bail his boat out, and unknown to me (a dumb college kid at the time, with an even dumber younger brother) put the Concord up for sale.  Mom's orders.  Can't have wreckless boys driving a boat that can flip that easily (I did almost lose it end-over-end in a headwind once).  That all worked out well when the next spring we went up to the lake, pressed the button to open the garage, and this was sitting inside.

IMG_0544.jpg.eaf54e11e82accafde24b38f1534bbb1(1).thumb.jpg.4d4f4bd71169f276f680bce3079e5476.jpg

This boat is the ultimate crossover, and will be the last ski boat my dad owns.  He's bought a bunch of fishing boats since then, but he LOVES his Malibu.  So does everyone in the family.  They simply don't make them like this anymore.  Malibu's attention to detail around this era was unlike any other.  Little things.  For instance, the observer seat hinge is upholstered so you don't have an ugly bare metal hinge sitting there.  The industry doesn't have a disruptor in it like Malibu was at that time.  The seats are far more plush and the whole cockpit feels far more luxurious than newer boats.  That and there's just something to the lines of the older boats.  So, I joined MBO shortly after it launched, then moved over here when that whole thing went down.  I'm a sponge for knowledge about stuff I like like boats, sleds, etc.  Since I've built up a near encyclopedic knowledge of these older boats... and since I love the lines of the older boats so much, I decided I needed my own.

IMG_20180830_175250.thumb.jpg.576e5b3891e57094597de1546314b3b1.jpg

Here is my '01 last fall that I found in Oregon parked at casa de @NWBU staging for her journey to her new home

SC_2018-09-25_at_11_16.54_AM.png.4da6e08bf7a1e9fa562f9354992d88dc(1).thumb.png.671819020992902aaea5036caa17dc2c.png

Gratuitous action shot with @kdspindl at the wheel... I think...

I totally agree on the older boat styling.  They're simply flat out sexy machines!!  I nearly bought a SSLXi when I found my RLXi.  Had I not found the RLXi, I would have purchased the SSLXi and would still own it today.  I'm kind of crazy owning 2 Mailu boats right now, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.  We love the RLXi (Gen1 - Killer ski wake and sexy lines) and we also love our 22VLX.  Now....if only the weather would cooperate so I can use the hell out both of them, all would be well in my world.....

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, inlandlaker said:

I totally agree on the older boat styling.  They're simply flat out sexy machines!!  I nearly bought a SSLXi when I found my RLXi.  Had I not found the RLXi, I would have purchased the SSLXi and would still own it today.  I'm kind of crazy owning 2 Mailu boats right now, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.  We love the RLXi (Gen1 - Killer ski wake and sexy lines) and we also love our 22VLX.  Now....if only the weather would cooperate so I can use the hell out both of them, all would be well in my world.....

Nothing crazy about having a real ski boat and a wake boat, especially when the former is holding its value so well

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV

Guys, this thread has some great posts in it. I know we are all passionate about our past stories and boats but we can’t have the swearing. Please remember that swearing is not allowed per the TOU. 

I haven't paid the site membership yet so I can't really post pictures directly. But I will try to describe as best as I can. My grandparents lived on a lake (same house where my mom grew up) but didn't have much money. Often had to try to enjoy the lake on a budget when I was growing up. The first boats I remember with them were one of those old tan deck boats with the under powered I/O engine and a "pontoon" boat. This pontoon was so low level you literally had to bring lawn chairs on it to have a place to sit. It was just a floor covered in that crappy grass green outdoor carpet and some light aluminum railing. The driver would have to stand and the thing wasn't super stable (kind of felt like attaching a motor to a boat made of cork) but it got the job done for lake fireworks days.

The deck boat was...interesting. It was old even for the mid 90s standard and was that tan color that I assumed came out of a 70s aesthetic and somehow survived for a while in the 80's. It was missing the windshields and the engine was always having trouble and we were always trying to find cheap ways to fix it. This lead to fun shenanigans like the throttle being reversed at one point and we only discovered it when my dad almost ran over my mom when attempting to launch the boat. Had only a couple of fun memories on this boat but basically any kid will have some fun memories on a boat thatis functional and can pull a tube. We eventually got rid of this money pit because we were sick of sinking money into a boat that needed to be fixed every other month. Made it difficult to enjoy.

Que probably my favorite boat of all time: This boat was everything the previous boat was but was smaller and actually worked. It was a 16 ft Rinker Wedge. It was that exact same tacky tan color as the previous boat. It had no wind shields like the previous boat. It was an underpowered I/O like the previous boat (a "120Hp" engine that I am convince made about 90 Hp). The speedometer didn't work like the previous boat...but that sucker was RELIABLE...once you knew its quirks. The main one was the starter was going so about 3 in 10 attempts to start the engine would ever actually work. Once we learned how to use a screw driver to bypass the faulty starter and just hotwire the engine to the battery directly that boat was pure, cheap, care free joy. We beat the heck out of the thing constantly and it always started up and worked. Tubed and skied for hours. I learned how to trim the prop a and turn at just the right radius to make a giant wave at the center of a half circle that I could hit at just the right time so the tubers I was pulling would launch a good 6-8 ft in the air...this was not easy on the hull. We left the boat in the water (no boat lift) and I don't remember ever seeing 1 osmotic blister. The downsides to the boat became sort of endearing after a while. Sure it took a solid 10 seconds to plane out when I was trying to slalom ski behind it but you can bet my deep start form quickly became immaculate! Heck, probably the funniest time was when the thing literally sank. I was going to meet a friend at the "lake house" (grandparents had passed away at this point) and he called me up and had to send me a picture of it under water in order for me to believe he wasn't joking. Said he saw some fish swimming around in it. Fortunately it was in shallow water so a high volume pump easily raised it (it was pumping water out faster that water could come in). The rubber "boot" around the I/O rotted out and the battery eventually died from gradually pumping out water for a week straight. You would think this would spell the death of this boat: HECK NO. Sure the engine refurbishing wasn't cheap...but it was A LOT cheaper than getting another boat and it arguably ran better after all the little tune ups. It was back to its old self (screwdriver hotwire start and all) in no time and we were back to beating the hell out of it. My favorite thing about it was probably how laid back we could be with it. If the driver bumped into the dock while docking it I didn't really care (the dock was all wood anyway so it wasn't going to scratch much). Probably my only real gripe with it was it was a pain to cover. Since it had no wind shield I had to stack garbage cans in the driver and passenger seats to keep the boat cover elevated so it wouldn't collect rain. For this boat though almost all of the down sides turned into fun characteristics to laugh at and its reliability made everything easy and fun. We had to sell this boat when we had to sell the lake house during the economic down turn. Really sad times.

8-10 years later...

Finally, my wife and I manage to get back to Michigan after living in PA for 5 years. We find a lake house in Brighton area and start saving up and looking for our boat. Initially I wanted something like a old cheaper '95 Response or something. Something to get on the water in a respectable price and do some skiing. We could also have a pontoon if we wanted. My wife was having none of that. She wanted a 1 boat solution that would do what we wanted and look awesome doing it. Tough to argue with that I suppose. With the direct drive out the window (for friend and room purposes) and super old Vdrives being non existent we committed to spending quite a bit more if we could find the right boat. One day in 2016 or so she found a listing for a tricked out '08 VTX that had literally all the options you could get for that year. This is the add photo for the boat we have: https://tinyurl.com/y5hlvt37

It even had a full exile sound system. The guy selling it was loaded. The hull was in immaculate shape and it was serviced every year (sometimes the oil was changed during both winterizing AND summerizing the boat). He was only selling it because he decided he wanted a bigger malibu with a touch screen. Really hard to say no to that one. I genuinely love this boat but I will say that there is a certain freedom in having a boat you can both enjoy AND neglect that makes me miss that old Rinker Wedge.

Edited by LateNightSalami
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I guess my story would be that I grew up on Oahu surfing all my life.  I became competitive, but was SOOO sick of the crowds, especially the line-ups on the surf breaks on North Shore.  Got so annoyed I gave up and heard about wakeboarding in 93.  I used to travel to my friends house and wakeboard on the Mainland in AR.  Started to get good at wakeboarding but it was always distant to me since I had not known the sport to be in Oahu.  Left for college (Oklahoma - OU) in 95 and was able to ride more during college.  Came back to Oahu in 99 and found a skiing club on Hickem Air Force base, Oahu.  Ski'd for them for a few years until I found a Malibu dealer on Kauai.  Flew over with my dad and bought their demo boat they used on the Wailua river.  2000 Sportster LX!  Shipped that back to Oahu and then found the Oahu Water Ski Club.  Became a member and pulled all my rookie driving and screw-ups at the club, but they taught me a lot.  Eventually I became reputable driver for tourneys.  Won a few wakeboarding tournaments at the "Hawaii Wakeboard Pro-Am" tourneys and finally got sponsored as a CWB Team Faction rider.  I found out quick about this site when I had to do all my own repairs on a Malibu.  Kauai Malibu dealer wanted me to rep Malibu for Oahu.  Then flew me back to Merced Plant in 2004 and Malibu told me to pick out my boat to have out in Oahu as the rep.  The orange VLX in the pics below was the Flagship boat they built specifically for Brostock or US Open I can't remember.  Shipped that back and had fun on that boat in the islands until I moved to Arizona and shipped her with me in 2005.  2007, before SquareOne inc. started up (Ronix/Radar), Paul Obrien invited me to come to Radar Lake and test out a new product with my best friend Grant Kalkoske (former global director of Sales for them) which was the "Ronix One" months after I tested it.  Got in big with AWA (Arizona Wakeboard Assoc) competing and driving for them.  2012 I moved to MI and then bought the 08 VLX.  Now I'm getting old, take one exhibition run and get crazy in the air, then take Ibuprofen and several beers to go hangout at a local sandbar with island style music blairing!

BOOMER!

• Like 1

Started out with a 1974 FiberForm - 1998 (I was 18years old, bought it with a buddy.  I learned a lot from this boat!)

2001 - Bought a 1997 SeaDoo for 2 summers during college

2003 - 1995 Bluewater Eagle

2009 - 1999 Centurion Elite V (bought during recession for $15k.  Put 300 hours on it, sold 8 years later for $19k)

2017 - 2006 Malibu 23 LSV

Barring something catastrophic, the LSV should be our last family boat.  The boat is big enough for our family and friends and will do all the water sports we are interested in.  The electronics and shiny paint on newer boats is cool, but we don't make payments on toys.

• Like 3
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, kylesullens said:

The electronics and shiny paint on newer boats is cool, but we don't make payments on toys.

agreed on that for sure.  Plus I can't get the motivation to drop $100K+ on a boat that my 08 VLX can basically do.  Sure I have to slap on a wake shaper if we surf, but we don't surf often.