Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ahopkinsVTX

Your Boating/TMC History

That Guy

I grew up on boats as well, never fished just water sports. Parents had a late 80’s early 90’s chaparral I/O that I learned to ski on then in 96 we got a Malibu sunsetter LX  and my dad had that for 20 years, so many good memories. I bought my first boat in 2015, a new Axis T22 and the old Malibu only saw the water once that year. Crazy how much they’ve changed. Sold the Axis in fall 2016 and ordered a 2017 Moomba Craz. Considering upgrading again sometime soon, crazy how my dad had the same boat for 20 years and I can’t keep one more than a couple years. 

AussieSkier

Great read, love the photos.... Need to get financial so I can post pictures and have my 2 cents worth. Any discount for Australian members?....hehehe

TallRedRider
10 hours ago, truckjunky87 said:

We've always had a boat while growing up.  The first one I remember was a 19-20' outboard.  I don't even know what brand or model.  To me at the time all boats looked the same.  Spent many evenings at a small reservoir  (Pineview) where somehow my dad earned the reputation of always bringing the rain/wind with him.

DayFamily_1113.thumb.jpg.fae968413871ae08330d080f9ffd8f50.jpg

Usually took 2-3 trips down to Lake Powell a year where it I have many memories of him leaning over the outboard trying to get to run.  But also have many great memories as well. 

That's me helping wash the boat.

DayFamily_0857.thumb.jpg.5ede552bcb48b00759d5458acf787882.jpg

My dad owned a business in power equipment and began talking with a boat manufacturing back east who was looking for dealers in the west.  My dad got interested and manage to buy a 1985 or 86 Thundercraft 1960ls I/O at dealer cost while exploringThundercraft2.thumb.JPG.9855cd14e9af747e890b9a421315fd1c.JPG

That top boat looks just like the one that gave me my first faceplant on dual waterskis.  We never had a boat growing up, but a girl from the rival high school basketball team invited me on a date to Pine View reservoir.  She was always self conscious of her height being somewhere around 6'4" tall (not your sister is it?).  Being 6'9", I was the right fit.  I managed to get myself up on 2 skis on one of my first tries, but was wobbling all over the place and eventually faceplanted as we turned the corner.  I remember being surprised how much water could hurt, and also that she was laughing hysterically for about 10 minutes straight.   I am sure that my lanky self wobbling around, almost falling, and then finally crashing in epic fashion was pretty entertaining.  The relationship never took off.   

Now I laugh hysterically whenever someone has a faceplant.  

Ryan1776
18 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I was thinking about the stories my kids would tell even at their young ages if they were asked this same question, and they've already got some good stuff to share.  Which reminded me of a project I am working on.  Our school is K-12 all in one building, and it has property just beyond the parking lot on Bear Lake, which is a 450 acre lake which connects to Muskegon Lake, which is a 4,000 acre lake which connects to Lake Michigan.  It is wooded and undeveloped, pretty rough.  Which is great for science classes, and they just built a large deck (30x40?) for classroom stuff and made some winding trails.  I am going to push for putting in a seasonal pier that kids could use to tie off to, and arrive to school via boat.  How cool would that be?

OH man! I didn't put that in my stories, but my dad would take his MiniMax hydro to school!!! Beach it at some guys house and walk though his property and go to school. Then blast home after! :yes: I love it. 

Ryan1776
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Raimie said:

(I started there in the fall of 98). I immediately signed up for the team and was instantly in love with inboards. Upon graduating in Dec '03,

Man! we went to school "together"!!! I was in the aviation program though so was NEVER on campus. 

Actually my roommate and still close buddy was on the team until 00....so close 

Edited by Ryan1776

ahopkinsVTX

@Raimie others who “get you” aka go out in January driving to multiple lakes trying to find open water and not ice. Just to surf to say we did it  :rofl:

Raimie

Found a couple pics of the boats I grew up on ..missing the first 2 still.

IMG_20190315_172855510.jpg

IMG_20190315_172907738.jpg

IMG_20190315_172850077.jpg

IMG_20190315_172844568.jpg

jrvs23
Posted (edited)

It started with my family having a boat when I was young. A 1978 Sea Ray Sr200 or close to that. Great boat! We would hit the Rock river in town or go to Lake Geneva mainly for day trips. When I say a day trip I mean all day. Get there by 8 AM and off the water at dark or after. I dont know how we did it, six people in my family and sometimes another family, all day in the sun no bimini. I later in life learned how my dad coped, and that was to drink all day and then drive us all home on back country roads pulling a boat and everyone holding on for dear life. I was too young to be aware. I learned how to ski and knee board behind that boat. We were never allowed a tube. Back in those days there were no portable pumps so there was never room. My older brother was allowed to take the boat with his high school friends and I got to tag along rarely. I dreamed of the day I would be old enough to take it out on my own. That day never came. My parents divorced and after a few more years when I was a freshman my dad had to sell the boat. I was heartbroken to see the boat go.

I did become good friends with a girl whose very well to do parents had a house on Lake Geneva. Friends would cruise up there and hang out for a day or two. Her parents had a 24' Steblow wood boat and a wave runner. Later the parents upgraded to a 28' Steblow with 2x 454's got rid of the jet ski and bought a 21' Cobalt for the kids to bum around in. Whenever I was there I drove that boat because my friend was not a good driver at all.  Her dad could tell I respected the boat. I always helped him clean it up after all the kids neglected it and whatever else I could do to help. He told me whenever I wanted to come up and use it I was welcome too even if his daughter wasn't around. Once we were out of college and working he offered to sell it to me but I couldn't. I should've looking back.

My older brother bought a brand new Sea Ray 195 signature in 2001 and a lake house in 2003 in MN where he lives with his family. I couldn't get up there a lot working on golf courses. A job that required 7 days a week 9 months out the year. I talked with the wife here and there about getting a boat. She told me I worked too much and would never have time to boat. I no longer work in golf. 

Fast forward  several years with my wife a 6 year old boy and 3 year old girl later I really started to push for a boat. Looking all the time on-line dreaming of owning my own boat. I new what my brother boat was worth at the time was around 10k and thought that was where I would go. A 10k Sea Ray. We were a Sea Ray family there was no other kind of boat. Looking at boats on-line and putting in 10k price range other boats start to fill the search results, ski boats. The idea started to creep in and the budget started to creep up. We all know how it goes. We've had our '01 vlx four years now and put a little over 100 hours on it. My son is really just getting going on skis so the hours will start to pile on. I spend a lot of time with new hydrofoiling friends on their boats which are better rigged to fly. I still like my boat the best but someday may upgrade to what will be a new to me but 15 year old boat.

I love to be on the water, I am happiest there with friends and family. 

20180813_102605.jpg

FB_IMG_1536177299020.jpg

Dismount gainer(let go of rope and go) working on rolls now.

Streblow.jpg

Stock photo from streblow but it is their current boat. Feel like a million bucks on that boat. Everyone is looking.

photo1.jpg

SEA RAY similar to our original boat except this one is closed bow.

Edited by jrvs23
Addition

Ryan1776
8 hours ago, kayt425 said:

Sorry for the rambling.

Certainly not rambling, if you read my post! That was rambling.:rofl:
That's awful about that boy..... I couldn't imagine knowing someone that that happened to. My 13th birthday party a guy on our lake was draining his boat....no bilge pump so he was driving, and left the helm to take the drain plug out....hit a wave, wheel went to lock threw him out, and the boat came around and hit him. He was taken by ambulance and we assumed he was OK as we never heard of him being more seriously injured. Certainly not the level of your story but that jogged my memory.  
I'm happy it didn't cause you to leave the sport/hobby. Summer is coming up fast! Hope you get a new boat locked down by then!