Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eagle Trailer: welding

Ryan1776

Hey everyone, my 2010 LSV came with a pretty beat Eagle trailer. 
One of the drive on guides was rusted off, the other is on its way out. Hanging on by a thread. 
I emailed Eagle and they at least send me two new weldments for the drive on guide tubes. 

I'm also taking off the old tongue jack and putting on my Fulton from my other boat. I don't want to use the U clamps on the Fulton because I want it to be cleaner. 

What do you stuff in the trailer to protect the wiring when welding? Maybe some convoluted tubing around the wire in the area of welding? Just to give a 2nd layer of protection?
What process after welding to help with rust? Standard prime/top coat? Por 15 with UV protection? But that probably won't match. 

Mercury outboard Phantom Black paint? 

Thanks guys

Ryan 

Unless the wiring is touching the side of the tube you are welding to I wouldn't stress about it.  Otherwise just stick a wet piece of 1x2 or whatever fits between the rail and wiring before welding.

Por-15 only works when applied to rust, it just peels off clean metal.  For clean metal just use some regular rustoleum primer and black spray.

Edited by oldjeep
21 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Unless the wiring is touching the side of the tube you are welding to I wouldn't stress about it.  Otherwise just stick a wet piece of 1x2 or whatever fits between the rail and wiring before welding.

Por-15 only works when applied to rust, it just peels off clean metal.  For clean metal just use some regular rustoleum primer and black spray.

Cool man. Thanks. 

Fwiw, in dealing with my eagle trailer's stress crack, I was told by eagle not to fret the re-galvanize (after repairs) as their production is not hot dipped, so the inside of tubes are NOT treated.  Had I known that I would not have purchased an eagle as a replacement trailer.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, tvano said:

Fwiw, in dealing with my eagle trailer's stress crack, I was told by eagle not to fret the re-galvanize (after repairs) as their production is not hot dipped, so the inside of tubes are NOT treated.  Had I known that I would not have purchased an eagle as a replacement trailer.

I can attest to that as well. There's actually a lot of rust on the trailer. Pretty sh*tty if you ask me. 
I remember posting/asking on here last year when I was looking at it and quite a few people said that that trailer was pretty crappy. 

The pin for the swing away tongue was so rusty it took about 2 weeks of twice daily soaking of anti corrosion and some serious smashes of a 10lb sledge to break free. 

Edited by Ryan1776
On 3/13/2019 at 1:31 PM, tvano said:

Great, worthless !!!!!!!!!!!! In the brack or salt, cold spray is for repairs not galvanized production , if that’s not in the specs, o would demand a partial refund back to non galvanized price because you own a non galvanized trailer 

4 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Great, worthless !!!!!!!!!!!! In the brack or salt, cold spray is for repairs not galvanized production , if that’s not in the specs, o would demand a partial refund back to non galvanized price because you own a non galvanized trailer 

I agree with you and @tvano I'm REALLY unhappy with this trailer. My 86 Supra trailer (don't know brand) is in FAR better shape than this one. 

Not one intersection of metal to another is rust free. Everything is bubbling. The fenders, the swing away tongue was awful, the bunk supports to the frame and to the bunks, obviously the guides are destroyed. Just a horrible trailer. The tongue jack is awful. The brakes don't work. 

Edited by Ryan1776

It’s those I beam or closed wall intersections that fail, they literally break at those welds when a metal trailer fails , if  your a big user/trailer weekends then it will fail on the road , mine did 

Edited by granddaddy55
2 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

It’s those I beam or closed wall intersections that fail, they literally break at those welds when a metal trailer fails , if  your a big user/trailer weekends then it will fail on the road , mine did 

I'll tow once maybe twice a year to my dads marina about 75miles one way. 

And I tow 3 houses away to my launch beginning and end of the season and a few times to clean it though the year, so no. Not that often. 

After you repair the the welds , Then don’t worry it probably will never be an issue, drive slow on 75 mile and don’t go over rail road tracks or other  at speed, brakes not working isn’t too bad with your situation as long as your cautious and drive slower than limit with spacing  ,

I hate ridiculous online reviews in google or yelp cause of effect on good business people , but this was fraud and I would never let up on reviews , I would send them email links of it every week daring them to respond , one determined customer with a actual major beef can do a lot of damage until the company takes action

attempt to obtain internal ceo, cfo , owner email and they may feel differently when presented with public evidence of your displeasure posting the specs that say galvanized 

Edited by granddaddy55
28 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

After you repair the the welds , Then don’t worry it probably will never be an issue, drive slow on 75 mile and don’t go over rail road tracks or other  at speed, brakes not working isn’t too bad with your situation as long as your cautious and drive slower than limit with spacing  ,

I hate ridiculous online reviews in google or yelp cause of effect on good business people , but this was fraud and I would never let up on reviews , I would send them email links of it every week daring them to respond , one determined customer with a actual major beef can do a lot of damage until the company takes action

attempt to obtain internal ceo, cfo , owner email and they may feel differently when presented with public evidence of your displeasure posting the specs that say galvanized 

I'll be fixing the guide posts this spring along with the brakes, replacing the tongue jack with a Fulton. Checking the bearings etc. 

I agree. I don't know if mine was supposed to be galvanized, if it was, that would just irritate me even more, and maybe I'll press harder. But for @tvano I'd be REAL upset. 
I will say, Eagle did send me 2 new weldments for free. 75 bucks each was the cost. But still. 

Edited by Ryan1776
1 hour ago, sChamblee said:

WD40 has a rust removing product, check out their site.

I'm gonna need a vat big enough to dip the whole damn trailer in. 

I’ve actually demo’d with a customer at a steel plant as far as spraying on and drying off.    May try a cup brush on a grinder. Then again cut it off and weld or have someone at a weld shop to weld it on for you. 

Massive vat. Ha