Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'99 Reponse LX - no wake shaper fits

TheOtherSide

Hello All,

Trying to sort out a problem I'm having... I have a 1999 Malibu Response LX... kids started some surfing last season with good results.  This year want to add some ballast and a wake shaper.  However... I have only a 4" high hull area to stick the shaper to... and all the suction cup shapers I've found have a 4.5" suction cup.  I picked up a Ronix Blade 138 shaper... tried to see if I could make it work... but the cups will not stick to the hull as there is too much of a gap letting air under the lower part of the cup.... and it will not stick at all.  There is a step on the hull right above that 4" section also... so I'd have to notch out any shaper to ensure it would allow any suction cups to make contact with the hull if I even found any 4" versions.  And to top it off... I can't see myself running a huge wedge held on with Velcro.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Anyone found anything with a 4" suction cup even for a DIY version?  Cuz I can't find anything besides 4.5".  I'm all about things fitting well, looking proper and doing the job at the same time...  so no wooden wedges screwed to my swim grid either.

Thx in advance!

ahopkins22LSV

What is your target for the wake snapper? Ability to switch sides or do you only surf on one side? Honestly it’s ypur model boat listing the boat is probably the best method. We had a 98 Moomba outback that we listed and surfed that for years. Only surfed it on the goofy side though. 

I picked up a set of Wicked Wake gates from this site for $150 which attach to the swim platform because I struggled with a homemade suck gate on my Echelon, having the same problem as you.  The gates work very well.57dc4f02ed4d5_2016WickedWakegatescompressed2.thumb.jpg.323b44c40dc7e783d4ee0a71bdbdc984.jpg

18 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

What is your target for the wake snapper? Ability to switch sides or do you only surf on one side? Honestly it’s ypur model boat listing the boat is probably the best method. We had a 98 Moomba outback that we listed and surfed that for years. Only surfed it on the goofy side though. 

So far only 2 in the family are surfing... more to come so not sure which sides.  Prefer something I can switch sides with.  We did list the boat last year with decent success.... just looking for more options.

10 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I picked up a set of Wicked Wake gates from this site for $150 which attach to the swim platform because I struggled with a homemade suck gate on my Echelon, having the same problem as you.  The gates work very well.57dc4f02ed4d5_2016WickedWakegatescompressed2.thumb.jpg.323b44c40dc7e783d4ee0a71bdbdc984.jpg

Those are interesting.  Do you know the brand?

I used a homemade suckgate on my vride (08 vlx hull) and had trouble keeping it attached under the "step" in the hull toward the bottom.  I ended up placing it further up on the hull as far down and as close to the "step" as possible but above the step.  I used a lot of ballast which put the gate about 3/4 under water. Water is just under rear rub rail while at surf speeds.  It actually improved my wave and the way the boat handled at idle speeds in that position.  Not sure where your waterline is or if it would have similar results on your hull, but worth a try if you could borrow one for a day.  When underway at surf speeds it would create a bit of a "fountain" type splash that could get the engine compartment wet but i could slightly adjust the gate and it would be fine.  

I upgraded to a wakesurf edge suck gate and no longer had the fountain problem.  I'm now having gsa installed monday, so if you want to pay shipping, id give you the homemade gate to try.  I have no use for it anymore.

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 1

I swear I saw an Instragram post by Nauticurl hinting about one that would fit hulls where there are chines or insufficient height to fit the 4" suction cups...can't find it right now.

22 minutes ago, formulaben said:

I swear I saw an Instragram post by Nauticurl hinting about one that would fit hulls where there are chines or insufficient height to fit the 4" suction cups...can't find it right now.

If you do I'd be thrilled.  I researched till my eyes popped out last night with no results.

The Ronix Velcro is the only thing I can do for sure... but when the Velcro gets all messed up over time, there is a project again.  Plus don't like to rely on Velcro... I dunno what to do.  lol

5 hours ago, TheOtherSide said:

Those are interesting.  Do you know the brand?

There are plans on here to make the ghetto gates/ poorman gates / can't remember all the names they used. It is really not that difficult, and I have seen from ones that strap on to platform to ones that are permanent on hing as surfgate but they deploy manually on a rod.

Edited by kerpluxal

I did some more research on the Ronix Eight.3 Velcro shaper...  lots of good reviews... very few complaints.  I think I'm going to give it a try!

From a DM on Instagram, they are going to be launching a version for the X2, X46 and X45 in April.  I took this to mean it would have a different profile (e.g. smaller cups) but who knows.

I am curious why you wouldn’t just install a set of Lenco trim tabs?

Honestly, I am not overly impressed with the surfgate. Ever since my first surf session on the new boat, I have been pondering a trim tab setup...

11 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Trim tabs mean drilling into the hull, adding switches. electronics etc.    I have an idea for a gate that should work on a Response...  :)

I guess that doesn't bother me. I have installed tabs on multiple boat in the past, although not for surfing purposes. The trim tabs I was referring to are pretty straight forward as far as installing. That being said, I do not know what the transom on the response looks like and if there is a location that they would work.

The problem with a Response is that there is no 5" or so flat area anywhere due to the lifting strake (it is a slalom boat after all).  You have about 3 or so inches above and below the strake.

On 3/14/2019 at 4:49 PM, TheOtherSide said:

I did some more research on the Ronix Eight.3 Velcro shaper...  lots of good reviews... very few complaints.  I think I'm going to give it a try!

I have a clone with the stepped hull block I can sell you.  A lot cheaper than what Ronix is selling.  PM me if interested. 

The Mission suck gate is the smallest I have seen. Not certain if 4" or not, but its a pretty compact unit. WakeMakers has them and could probably give you the measurement details

33 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

The Mission suck gate is the smallest I have seen. Not certain if 4" or not, but its a pretty compact unit. WakeMakers has them and could probably give you the measurement details

Mission is 4.5

IMAG1038[1].jpg

On 3/29/2019 at 6:01 AM, oldjeep said:

Mission is 4.5

IMAG1038[1].jpg

Thanks for confirming. 

I got the Ronix eight.3 velcro one... will fit much better on my hull shape.