Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust tips without baffles?

Chatty21VLX

Would it be a bad idea to install some 90 degree turndown exhaust tips that don't have any baffles? My obvious concern is water backflow into the motor when stopping. 

My current Response has the STE tips. They have no baffles inside.

My previous Responses had the straight Stainless tips - w/o baffles as well.

No issues in over 1600 hours (all my BU’s combined).

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Chaabo said:

My current Response has the STE tips. They have no baffles inside.

My previous Responses had the straight Stainless tips - w/o baffles as well.

No issues in over 1600 hours (all my BU’s combined).

You sure on the STE’s? Mine had baffles and every set I’ve seen have them as well. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

You sure on the STE’s? Mine had baffles and every set I’ve seen have them as well. 

Depends on your definition of baffles. Do you mean flappers or anything at all that sits inside the tips?

Admitted, English is not my native language (I’m from Germany originally) but the straight stainless tips on my first two Responses had NOTHING at all in them, just a straight piece of pipe through the transom. (I even have a close up picture of it somewhere on my old computer).

My current STE tips look like the above picture. So there’s something inside them, but no flappers (baffles?) to prevent backflow.

(Thought that was meant by “baffles”, sorry if I got something wrong here!)

Edited by Chaabo
ahopkins22LSV
8 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

Depends on your definition of baffles. Do you mean flappers or anything at all that sits inside the tips?

Admitted, English is not my native language (I’m from Germany originally) but the straight stainless tips on my first two Responses had NOTHING at all in them, just a straight piece of pipe through the transom. (I even have a close up picture of it somewhere on my old computer).

My current STE tips look like the above picture. So there’s something inside them, but no flappers (baffles?) to prevent backflow.

(Thought that was meant by “baffles”, sorry if I got something wrong here!)

No worries, but yes typically what MB showed above would be called a baffle. 

Ok, then I stand corrected.

But the straight tips definitely had no baffles in them. With a flashlight I could see right into the muffler. I even asked the dealer about it when I took delivery of my first BU in 2005. Was worried about getting waterlogged.

ahopkins22LSV
28 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

Ok, then I stand corrected.

But the straight tips definitely had no baffles in them. With a flashlight I could see right into the muffler. I even asked the dealer about it when I took delivery of my first BU in 2005. Was worried about getting waterlogged.

That boat had to sound AMAZING! :woot:

14 hours ago, Woodski said:

@Chatty21VLX:  Verify that the ones you are looking at don't have internal baffles, many do.  They are inside and are stainless.

I am 100% sure they don't have baffles. I bought them last year some time from someone on the FB group, and they've been sitting in my garage since. They are 90 degree bent, but have nothing inside.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:09 PM, onamission said:

Malibu used to offer them.

977704475_SSWedgebracket.thumb.JPG.c1c440b30d9f3d5e7f3820a16adf1cfd.JPG

Those are straight pipes inside? That's what mine look like, but I'm certain there's nothing inside the pipes for backflow prevention.

3 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

Those are straight pipes inside? That's what mine look like, but I'm certain there's nothing inside the pipes for backflow prevention.

Yes those are straight pipes with nothing inside, the 90 degree design stops the back flow.  The baffles are used for noise.

6 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That boat had to sound AMAZING! :woot:

At low speeds that exhaust bounces back off the water and rumbles like the old boat use to.

20 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

I am 100% sure they don't have baffles. I bought them last year some time from someone on the FB group, and they've been sitting in my garage since. They are 90 degree bent, but have nothing inside.

If you decide not to put them on your boat, message me. I will buy them.

4 hours ago, Chatty21VLX said:

@onamission do the tips reduce noie and/ or help with emissions smell? 

This is how Malibu describes the tips.

Turn Down Polished Stainless Exhaust Tips.
Add style and function to your Malibu boat with the new turn 
down polished stainless exhaust tips designed to lower exterior 
noise levels in your Malibu. 

To be honest I've never heard my boat or any other with them from shore.  (At slower speeds I think the interior noise level goes up, that old school rumble).

As far as exhaust smell, the only time I'm back there is when I'm putting ski on and it's no different then one without them.

Edited by onamission
martinarcher

I had Stainless Marine make some 4" tips for my Sunsetter (you can see the while project here).  They have a stainless flapper.   I'd be concerned about water backflow without flappers more if the tips didn't have a turn down.  Mine are straight.  If you had a rookie back you in hot I can see some water being forced up the exhaust.  I know most of the people here are pros at launching so it's probably less of an issue.  

The tips I put on my boat have a baffle in them, but no flapper.  The turned down end keeps water from flowing in like it would if they were straight pipes. 

They are definitely lower noise than the rubber flappers.  The flappers make a popping sound that is higher pitch. 

I can't imagine how fast I would have to go in reverse to push water into the tips, through the mufflers, and over the risers, all while the exhaust is pushing back. 

Maybe without the engine running, but then how do I go fast in reverse? 

1 hour ago, justgary said:

I can't imagine how fast I would have to go in reverse to push water into the tips, through the mufflers, and over the risers, all while the exhaust is pushing back. 

Maybe without the engine running, but then how do I go fast in reverse? 

The way it happens is when you are going , dump down to neutral and then shut the engine off before your wake catches up with you.

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

The way it happens is when you are going , dump down to neutral and then shut the engine off before your wake catches up with you.

Yep, even I/O's, with through the prop exhaust, have a flapper in the exhaust before it exits the transom.