Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

bovhica

GSA install?

Recommended Posts

bovhica
Posted (edited)

I'm taking my boat in on Monday to the local dealer to have go surf assist installed (2011 VRide.)  I've watched the videos for install, talked with ryan at GSA and read numerous threads here.  It seems to be a consensus that the tab angle for a malibu of this era (08 vlx hull) is better installed with less angle than the target 12* described by GSA on their website.  If so, at what angle did you set your tabs when installed.  I would like to have some wave adjustablity with GSA because I have floating wedge not PW.  My understanding is that when engaging the system, the tab will deploy to max angle and then adjustments with the dial can be made to lift the tab?  At default (max angle) will the wave be shorter and steeper?  By lifting the tab will the wave get longer?  I'd like the default to be close to ideal with only a few "clicks" of adjustment necessary depending on rider preference.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  For crew members with GSA, what angle would you tell the installer to target and why? 

Edited by bovhica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hyperryd

I don't have GSA, but I deal with a bunch of MB Sports guys.  GSA is the factory surf system for them.  They used to have adjustability but all that ever did was mess up the wave.  They have gone to a default setting and taken away all of the variability.  Now they are like Surfgates, in or out.  They also took off the rear hinged section and went to a straight plate.  That also helped a bunch.  Too much adjustability isn't always a good thing.  Guys love them now.  It only took two years of everybody adjusting them every direction and getting frustrated.  I'll see if I can find out what angles have been the most successful for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica
14 minutes ago, Hyperryd said:

I don't have GSA, but I deal with a bunch of MB Sports guys.  GSA is the factory surf system for them.  They used to have adjustability but all that ever did was mess up the wave.  They have gone to a default setting and taken away all of the variability.  Now they are like Surfgates, in or out.  They also took off the rear hinged section and went to a straight plate.  That also helped a bunch.  Too much adjustability isn't always a good thing.  Guys love them now.  It only took two years of everybody adjusting them every direction and getting frustrated.  I'll see if I can find out what angles have been the most successful for them.

I got the GSA delivered to me today and the controller definitely has an adjustment dial.  Ryan from GSA said it will influence the wave length and height on my hull. I forgot to ask him exactly how the dial worked and the position of the tab as it correlates to type of wave?...(tall and short vs longer and less height)  I appreciate the info on the MB guys, but im not sure its an apples to apples comparison because of the different hulls.  At least I hope not. That would be very disappointing if I couldn't tune the wave like was advertised.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hyperryd

No problem.  I've just been watching them working on dialing in their wave.  Besides the tabs you still have nose weight and speed to help adjust the wave shape.  Good luck man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Hyperryd said:

No problem.  I've just been watching them working on dialing in their wave.  Besides the tabs you still have nose weight and speed to help adjust the wave shape.  Good luck man!

Well, if nothing else....my expectations of the system have been lowered.  Now I can focus my enjoyment on having surf setup at the touch of a button with gsa and my newly installed integrated ballast.  No more placing a suck gate or pumps over the side of the boat!  I was just thrilled at the prospect of having push button wave tuning (Power wedge envy.) Still holding on to a sliver of hope a malibu gsa user chimes in with good news...lol.

Edited by bovhica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcon44

I played with adjusting the tabs and have moved them to different mounting points on the tabs as well. Each time it made little different to the actual wave. The reasons I moved the tabs around was more for spray when not surfing which I eliminated by moving them up further. Like others have said I don't think you will need to do much adjusting, part of the reason they took away the hinged tip in the newer tabs. I played with those as well since mine are older and didn't see much of a difference. The wave was really good for me out of the box, lots of weight in the back and go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerpluxal
11 hours ago, bovhica said:

Well, if nothing else....my expectations of the system have been lowered.  Now I can focus my enjoyment on having surf setup at the touch of a button with gsa and my newly installed integrated ballast.  No more placing a suck gate or pumps over the side of the boat!  I was just thrilled at the prospect of having push button wave tuning (Power wedge envy.) Still holding on to a sliver of hope a malibu gsa user chimes in with good news...lol.

So.... Install as Ryan states... trying to play with adjustments that should not be played with is not the right path as it was designed to operate in parameters in which GSA designed it to be installed... 

Ryan installed mine (2010 LSV)  and I have set the wave that I liked it to be which is max angle (all the way down setting). I don't know the angles.. but they are at what he installed it to be. There are many  variables that will change height and length of wake besides the dial.... 

I don't know why your expectations have been lowered before you have even used it... 

First thing first.. no replacement for displacement.. My malibu loves weight and rewards when she is slammed.. weight placement is way more important than the angle of the dangle.. No matter what surf system you use.. proper setup is key...

More weight in front longer wave, less weight in front shorter wave.. a shorter wave is taller.. a longer wave is shorter in height..

Speed.. slower speed = shorter wave.. faster speed = longer wave.

Wedge deployed = shorter wave Wedge stowed = longer wave (depending on crew size there are times that I don't even deploy the wedge).

GSA dial.. mine is first generation and different than the new ones.. I believe there is pic next to the dial now that shows wave.. where it is thinnest you will have a longer wave, Where it is the widest will be the shorter wave... 

You have to find the balance of all above to create the best wake... and this is for all surf systems...

I like a long short wave and surf  between 11.6 to 12.6 mph

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica
1 hour ago, jcon44 said:

I played with adjusting the tabs and have moved them to different mounting points on the tabs as well. Each time it made little different to the actual wave. The reasons I moved the tabs around was more for spray when not surfing which I eliminated by moving them up further. Like others have said I don't think you will need to do much adjusting, part of the reason they took away the hinged tip in the newer tabs. I played with those as well since mine are older and didn't see much of a difference. The wave was really good for me out of the box, lots of weight in the back and go!

Thanks for the info.  Do you remember what angle your installation was set for full deployment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica
Posted (edited)

@kerpluxal Thanks for all the info.  I'm going to have the installer call ryan about the angle and make sure they know anything that is hull specific before install.  That will give me peace of mind.  I just want it done right the first time.

P.s. Nice wave!👍

Edited by bovhica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrothwell
1 hour ago, kerpluxal said:

First thing first.. no replacement for displacement.. My malibu loves weight and rewards when she is slammed.. weight placement is way more important than the angle of the dangle.. No matter what surf system you use.. proper setup is key..

How much weight are you considering "slammed"?

I'm only running a 20ft boat vs your 23, and I need less weight to sink it, but curious what I could expect if I went the GSA route vs Gate route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica

Im running 750 bow bag, 500 center, 300 bag under surf side seat and 1900 rear + wedge with suck gate.  I think @kerpluxal is running a similar setup with a bit more weight in the bow.  My wave with the gate is great....hope it translates to an even better wave with gsa.  I also have 500 lbs of lead to work with if needed. My boat is 21.5 ft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerpluxal
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mrothwell said:

How much weight are you considering "slammed"?

I'm only running a 20ft boat vs your 23, and I need less weight to sink it, but curious what I could expect if I went the GSA route vs Gate route.

 

38 minutes ago, bovhica said:

Im running 750 bow bag, 500 center, 300 bag under surf side seat and 1900 rear + wedge with suck gate.  I think @kerpluxal is running a similar setup with a bit more weight in the bow.  My wave with the gate is great....hope it translates to an even better wave with gsa.  I also have 500 lbs of lead to work with if needed. My boat is 21.5 ft.

Almost ;)   2300 rear up to 1000 front. will show pic and she is not nude lol

20180729_141556_zps0kharkyn.jpg

Pretty much down to rub rails

Edited by kerpluxal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica
5 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

 

Almost ;)   2300 rear up to 1000 front. will show pic and she is not nude lol

20180729_141556_zps0kharkyn.jpg

Pretty much down to rub rails

Lol....she does look nude!  Epic pic and wave!  Im also down to the rub rails so our displacements and ratios are probably pretty close for each hull.  

Did you list before gsa or use a gate?  Just curious as to a difference in your wave if you used a gate vs gsa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerpluxal
3 minutes ago, bovhica said:

Lol....she does look nude!  Epic pic and wave!  Im also down to the rub rails so our displacements and ratios are probably pretty close for each hull.  

Did you list before gsa or use a gate?  Just curious as to a difference in your wave if you used a gate vs gsa?

I don't know if I have pics of that.. I listed... had a gate on platform (predecessor to the suck gate) but could not get it dialed in.. GSA was installed for my xmas present on year I bought boat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrothwell
49 minutes ago, bovhica said:

she is not nude lol

Well Duh.... I can clearly see that she is wearing a knee brace, and a hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcon44
3 hours ago, bovhica said:

Thanks for the info.  Do you remember what angle your installation was set for full deployment?

No, one thing I would do differently if installing again is not spending hours looking at angles... In the end I don't think it matters that much. I push button for surf right grab a board go, surf left for all the other who do it backwards... its that easy.  That is after playing with what ballast I liked, but that's with any system of gates or listing. For me it was a way to easily surf with just my wife and I who like different sides, I got sick of moving water around and wanted to spend the little time I had on the water surfing not fn with pumps and bags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica
6 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

No, one thing I would do differently if installing again is not spending hours looking at angles... In the end I don't think it matters that much. I push button for surf right grab a board go, surf left for all the other who do it backwards... its that easy.  That is after playing with what ballast I liked, but that's with any system of gates or listing. For me it was a way to easily surf with just my wife and I who like different sides, I got sick of moving water around and wanted to spend the little time I had on the water surfing not fn with pumps and bags.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease!  Im just going to put the installer in contact with ryan at gsa and let them do their thing.  Ive dialed my wave with a suckgate and lots of ballast and have been very pleased with it, so ultimately this install is about convenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kerpluxal

@jcon44 agreed... and really agree with " I push button for surf right grab a board go, surf left for all the other who do it backwards." I am trying to convince Ryan that I need a "Right" button and a "Wrong" button :rofl:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001
bovhica

That must be my problem..... Im doing it "WRONG."🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica
6 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Wonder why this template didnt come with the kit?  Maybe i just missed it?  I have the template for the controller.  Thanks for the link.  I will print it off for the installer.👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcon44
17 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

@jcon44 agreed... and really agree with " I push button for surf right grab a board go, surf left for all the other who do it backwards." I am trying to convince Ryan that I need a "Right" button and a "Wrong" button :rofl:

 

That would be great!!! The wave is better on the "right" side as well and everyone but me hates it!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica

Update:

Picked up the boat from the dealer yesterday.  GSA installed!  Dealer did a great job and installer was in contact with Ryan from GSA about hull and boat specific details.  It was his first GSA install so I was a bit nervous, but  he went above and beyond making sure everything was right.  The tabs max deploy to 8* and retract almost touching the swim step.  They had to notch out a portion of the hinge to keep it above the bottom of the hull where the bump out for the swim step bracket is located.  Im going to water test it Saturday.

20190327_184650.thumb.jpg.281fd32fef7d9eaf5fa3f11c40ec020c.jpg20190327_184604.thumb.jpg.f2e1cd886eddf8483b1fa66eaf21a1ba.jpg20190327_185008.thumb.jpg.ef43bda0cfa28f76d84e429bfd096d3a.jpg20190327_184532.thumb.jpg.a1d9cdce0fc9b99bdb95f14353cef85b.jpg20190327_184351.thumb.jpg.12fb9d5aa909cd0ee086b87ecd9c15ff.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlindSquirrel

Looks good! Subed to hear your water test results. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bovhica

I will get some video and photos.  Too cold to get in the water and actually surf the wave.  Probably another 3 weeks before i brave the water with my spring suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...