Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dogs & Boats

redsoxfan84

On 6/21/2021 at 7:38 PM, dwc032 said:

I am the odd man out, I know that. But no way in hell a dog will be allowed to come on my boat. 

Complete opposite.  No way in hell would I own a boat that a dog was not allowed to be on.

Until justgary's post I had never heard of so much as a single upholstery scratch from a pup. Gonna take a gal pal's and her guys two dogs out in the next week. Got 'em vests. Can't wait. Just kids with 4 legs.

Steve B.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:38 PM, dwc032 said:

I am the odd man out, I know that. But no way in hell a dog will be allowed to come on my boat. 

I’m with you. I have a dog, I love my dog, but he is not allowed in the boat, the house, or our cars (bed of the truck when I take him places).

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

Until justgary's post I had never heard of so much as a single upholstery scratch from a pup. Gonna take a gal pal's and her guys two dogs out in the next week. Got 'em vests. Can't wait. Just kids with 4 legs.

Steve B.

I didn't see the dogs, but they told me the upholstery holes were from taking their dogs on the boat.  I had no reason to not believe them, and it is quite understandable that a dog claw could puncture upholstery.  Maybe they were high-strung and bouncing end-to-end the whole time.

Our dog is always on the boat! No damage here! Also we just got these awesome covers for his nails. They work awesome so far and we’re about 4 weeks to them being on his nails (went on just before Memorial Day). 

9D4B81A9-9354-4C37-BC22-86712025A64F.jpeg

• Like 3

Doodles are great boat dogs!  Love the water and don't shed.  Nails have not been an issue.  

Fozzie needs to learn how to pee on the swim deck though.  Last time out we pushed our luck a bit and he ended up having to pee so bad he went as far into the nose of the bow as he could and relieved himself.  We quickly sacrificed a beach towel and proceeded to intentionally swamp the bow a bit.  But that's the worst so far.  

On that note, anyone have any tips for teaching your dog to relive himself on the swim deck??  

spacer.png

Our 9month old “mini” Aussie comes out with us every time and loves the boat and swimming.  He has actually even surfed with me a few times!  Biggest issue we had was first time out he didn’t know where to go pee and went in the bow…cleaned it up and no big deal!  Last time out he swam to shore and pee’d and swam back…trying to teach him how to go on the swim step.  Also I have learned a shop vac with extension with nylon bristles picks up the dog hair really well.

0A1885C6-5CF8-44D0-AEAD-38648F957533.jpeg

307BFBE9-70D1-40FD-8ED5-F9FBC74346A9.jpeg

D5AAA604-1F4B-42F5-B750-90665CD959C9.jpeg

09206DF5-7579-4B15-8C25-3DEDA0D38274.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I take my 1 year old english springer spaniel out on the boat a few days every year, usually when our crew is light and we don’t expect to raft up to friends and acquaintances.  I absolutely detest boat people who stress out about dogs being around but there are so many of them I would rather leave the doggo at home than risk ruffling some premadonna’s feathers when my dog gets too close to them or their boat.  Always funny when I remind them they are outside, in public, and if they don’t like it (here) then they are free to venture somewhere else on the River.  If my esp didn’t shed so much long wispy cat like hair he would probably be out a lot more honestly.  Even with the hair he makes way less of a mess than my 3 and 5 year old daughters lmao.

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately, no more boat rides for my dog. I had to put her down last night at almost 13 years old. She loved the boat rides and of course the lake, she was a lab. She was a good girl. Going to miss her.

IMG_2466.thumb.jpeg.5a19b53cf55d30db80f8b69cae19fd96.jpeg

IMG_2135.thumb.jpeg.e318aecc33a896267cab92652afcad1b.jpeg

IMG_1103.thumb.jpeg.889c1083335000b9b66f82458296e05c.jpeg

IMG_2599.thumb.jpeg.d46bf2b2392835e32568aedb715e6236.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

She was lucky to be part of your family!  Speaking as a vet, 13 is a wonderful long life for a lab!!

I agree, she was lucky and so were we. She also had EPI so with that she definitely outlived the odds. I could have filled up the “most recent purchase” thread with monthly medicine, a corn cob removed from her stomach and an eye removed. She was tough. I told my wife that God chose that dog for me because he knew I would take care of her. A lot of people would have put her down or dropped her off at the animal shelter a long time ago.

• Like 2

Pet owners like you make me happy to be a vet - treat them like family, great job. And nice  job working with your local vet. I would have to give them a big pat on the back for being a part of her great life!  If/when the time comes for a new pup, please check out insurance.

So sorry, we had to put our 13 year old chocolate down a year and a half ago and a 9 year old Golden a few years before that.  Hardest thing we've ever done.  

3 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Unfortunately, no more boat rides for my dog. I had to put her down last night at almost 13 years old. She loved the boat rides and of course the lake, she was a lab. She was a good girl. Going to miss her.

IMG_2466.thumb.jpeg.5a19b53cf55d30db80f8b69cae19fd96.jpeg

IMG_2135.thumb.jpeg.e318aecc33a896267cab92652afcad1b.jpeg

IMG_1103.thumb.jpeg.889c1083335000b9b66f82458296e05c.jpeg

IMG_2599.thumb.jpeg.d46bf2b2392835e32568aedb715e6236.jpeg

I'm so sorry @Hemmy   We had to do the same a few years back and we were just crushed.  Hardest thing I've ever had to do.  We had a lab as well.  Anyone that has had a lab in the family knows the unconditional love, support, energy and antics they bring into our lives.  Much love to you & your family.  Never thought we would have a dog that compared but after some time we reluctantly decided to get another lab.  Best thing we ever did was bringing another loving and entertaining soul into our lives.  Really helped with the loss, yet reminds us constantly of the great pal we lost in the most positive way.  

On 6/22/2021 at 8:56 PM, mk2driver said:

Our dog is always on the boat! No damage here! Also we just got these awesome covers for his nails. They work awesome so far and we’re about 4 weeks to them being on his nails (went on just before Memorial Day). 

you guys are better pet owners than we are.  Well, actually just me.  Linds would love to have Iggy on the boat.  But as the official Cleaner of Boat in this household, I have a firm No Shedding Dogs policy on the T220.  and our dog sheds worse than Mudge on a car ride to the vet.