Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dogs & Boats

redsoxfan84

6 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

Do you grind it up yourself and how much does it cost, roughly. Per month. I assume chicken, what else do you use? I have read about that, interesting.

It is a lot more complicated than one would think.  Look up BARF diet, and Dr Karen Becker.  My wife does all of the prep, probably spends an hour a day for the 4 dogs.  We supplement what we buy with some wild game, but it is expensive.

This little guy love being out on the boat, not a huge fan of the water. It is hilarious to watch the mental dilemma of jumping after the ducks swimming by or getting wet.

6mtNk2Dh.jpg

I can't wait for his new "little" brother get to come out on the water.  It should be interesting...Pretty sure hes broken in this pic at 15wks old

2BgOgrrh.jpg

martinarcher

Someone assembled that dog incorrectly.  :lol:

That's funny with the water dilemma....out Lab/Australian Shepard is exactly the same way...pawing at the water and all uptight.  Funny to watch.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Our dog was the same way and still is at points. I think he argues with himself each time because the lab is like, “WATER! GO SWIM NOW!!!” Then the mastiff is like, “Nope.” Once he is in though he loves it. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Never had any issues with my boy on our families 02' Wakesetter. I would put towels down in the front bow area as an added precaution but never had any issues. Just lots of hair to clean up, but worth it to have him on the water all day. 

I was going to attach some pictures, but it won't let me :cry:

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, MalibuRyan said:

Never had any issues with my boy on our families 02' Wakesetter. I would put towels down in the front bow area as an added precaution but never had any issues. Just lots of hair to clean up, but worth it to have him on the water all day. 

I was going to attach some pictures, but it won't let me :cry:

You can host to a 3rd party, or better yet become a supporting member and you can upload straight from your phone or computer. Plus you unlock discounts to lots of sites that you can buy lots of goodies for your new boat and easily make the supporter fee back in :) https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/supporttmc.html/

@twitchee2 that is awesome! I bet he soon learns the boundaries of the boat and you won't have to worry so much any more.

39 minutes ago, mniba1 said:

onto the swim platform if in the water?

Our dog puts her front paws on the swim platform, we then push lightly on the back of her neck/head, that gives her the leverage needed to board.  This occurs many, many times, as she like to retrieve tennis balls.

• 2 years later...

Any issues with claws on the vinyl?

We have two 60 lb boys and would LOVE to have them on the boat, but I’m a little concerned with their claws causing damage. 

1 hour ago, Trizzil said:

We have two 60 lb boys and would LOVE to have them on the boat, but I’m a little concerned with their claws causing damage. 

None from us and Lilly, but she's 25lbs. My brother has had his golden doodle out, not sure on weight, he's pretty big... but no issues on their 2019 lsv. 

6 hours ago, Trizzil said:

We had a Jack Russel that was out with us every weekend for 15 yrs. all over the boats. Never had a problem. Our friends have a Sheppard that is probably 100 lbs. and they have no issue. 

For us, the dogs are a significant part of the family, they go and do everything with us. As for the claws and nails, it has never been much of an issue for us. We have had a couple small marks from the bigger dog's nails, but nothing that doesn't fade away. Not overly concerned about the upholstery, as it can be repaired. Enjoy your boat and take your dogs if you want to, they won't cause any more wear and tear than the rest of your crew.

Wyatt.jpg

Bow Surfing.jpg

Chillin.JPG

• Like 3

My english springer is a regular on our boat but I only bring him if I don't expect extra guests, just because even a smaller dog seems to take up 3 people worth of space lmao.  practice the basic "sit, lay down, stay" commands while the boat is operating so they know they have to follow orders even with the extra noise and commotion.  After a few trips they get a feel for what they are supposed to do.  That said, if your dog is even remotely unpredictable around strangers/other dogs or prone to aggression in any way just leave it at home.

On 6/14/2021 at 1:59 PM, Trizzil said:

No issues yet but I cringe every time they get on the boat.  

223A5169-DA81-44F6-A6A8-9A302CD2BC83.jpeg

21 hours ago, dwc032 said:

I am the odd man out, I know that. But no way in hell a dog will be allowed to come on my boat. 

I have to agree.  When I bought my Malibu (used, but well kept) it had several dog claw punctures in the upholstery.  They had put clear tape stickers over the holes, but it would have been a lot better if they had just left the dogs at home.  The upholstery is original and otherwise really good, and I'm not going to change it because of some holes.

My wife and I agree that animals stay outside.  We only bring them in if it is below about 40 outside, and then they go in the bathroom for the night.  The local shelter refused to sell us a dog a long time ago because we mentioned that the dog would be really happy in our huge, fenced back yard.  She said, "I can usually tell you people from the others, but you seem so nice."  It's OK for me to be outside during the summer here, but apparently not for a dog.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, justgary said:

I have to agree.  When I bought my Malibu (used, but well kept) it had several dog claw punctures in the upholstery.  They had put clear tape stickers over the holes, but it would have been a lot better if they had just left the dogs at home.  The upholstery is original and otherwise really good, and I'm not going to change it because of some holes.

My wife and I agree that animals stay outside.  We only bring them in if it is below about 40 outside, and then they go in the bathroom for the night.  The local shelter refused to sell us a dog a long time ago because we mentioned that the dog would be really happy in our huge, fenced back yard.  She said, "I can usually tell you people from the others, but you seem so nice."  It's OK for me to be outside during the summer here, but apparently not for a dog.

Agreed, I grew up on a large farm. We had working dogs. They didn’t come inside unless it was 0 out. And they’d go in the garage in kennels. If They stayed outside they had large dog houses and heat lamps.