Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dogs & Boats

redsoxfan84

Hi Everyone

I am still newer to the forum and my new Malibu arrives in a few weeks so I thought I would throw out a controversial topic here. I see a lot of people who bring their dog in their boat, which I think my dog would love but I am worried about his nails (even though they get trimmed often) tearing up the upholstery. I know this is a controversial question but do y'all bring your dog or not, and why?

I have a large Labradoodle in case anyone is wondering since that factors into the discussion. 

READY...GO

Have two labradors that have been regular passengers since pups. Down to one now, as the elder is too, well, elderly for long rides. Never had probs with their nails on the Malibu upholstery as long as you exercise moderate caution - hair has been the primary PITA. 😉 And you’ll want to keep an eye on them around the gel coat too. That to me is the greater risk. You can always lay down towels for your dog to lay on / walk on, which is what we do. Just my $.0002.

ahopkins22LSV

Black mastiff lab mix. 110-120lbs, zero issues with nails on anything over 4 years in our response TXi. Only reason we didn’t have him out last year is because we had our very young daughter and friends young son with us. Hair is everywhere but that’s what you get with a dog. He loves the boat I felt bad we didn’t take him last year. 

C8E3598D-EEDD-4054-B3AE-C291C6F68D82.thumb.jpeg.e22fd9840fe0d651d0501c5b2ccc1b11.jpeg

6BEB3515-4767-412F-8F64-AB36C9B70170.thumb.jpeg.56f5e05fe48f4eeda64d1dda27eed860.jpeg

I have a labradoodle, no issues on 20+ year old (starting to get tired upholstery) .  He doesn't shed at all which is the reason we got a labradoodle.  My biggest problem is the barking when we are swimming off the boat... can't seem to train it out of him.  So he doesn't come out with us 100% of the time.

Jack Russel. Albeit small but You know how crazy they are. 3 years in the Brendella 10 years in the Bu. Never a problem. My cousin has a large labradoodle. He also has never had a problem. As stated above. I worry more about the hair. 

No dogs in the boat. To me,there is enough going on to worry about a dog. Not to mention hair and toenails. We are dog people just to be clear.

kaEhsBd.jpg

Edited by carguy79ta
22 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

No dogs in the boat. To me,there is enough going on to worry about a dog. Not to mention hair and toenails. We are dog people just to be clear.

kaEhsBd.jpg

I do agree about there being a lot going on. We only bring the dog if we just go out for a cruise. The first time I brought the dog while I was out surfing, I fell and she jumped in after me. She was also a spaz the entire time I was surfing. My wife did not like that while driving the boat.

On the old boat about once a month or so at most. A lot to look out for and they don’t respect the speed, “squirrel” and over the side if we are not careful. They get their nails trimmed and are only 20ish pounds so easy on the upholstery but we do use towels. Wires coats for both and my wife sheds 10x more than both of them put together. 

E7E057F0-B326-448E-810E-BD90527B2B84.jpeg

24 minutes ago, RyanB said:

To me, dogs and boats go hand in hand.

I've had Weimaraners and boats for 21 years now.  Knock on wood, never any problem with the upholstery.

YyNkJoL.jpg

Ha Awesome! Where do you put the humans?

3 hours ago, redsoxfan84 said:

Hi Everyone

I am still newer to the forum and my new Malibu arrives in a few weeks so I thought I would throw out a controversial topic here. I see a lot of people who bring their dog in their boat, which I think my dog would love but I am worried about his nails (even though they get trimmed often) tearing up the upholstery. I know this is a controversial question but do y'all bring your dog or not, and why?

I have a large Labradoodle in case anyone is wondering since that factors into the discussion. 

READY...GO

No controversy in my opinion. It is your boat and do with it what you like!!! 

I have a Pit that comes out with me from time to time... She does not like water but loves riding in boat. She does get nervous when I get in water but has not jumped out to "rescue" me lol... She does has her seat and does not like it if someone else sits there (she does not bite or bark... just keeps nudging until they move).

My ex had Rot and came out on boat. Daughter fell off knee board, Rot jumped in water, me jumping in after the Rot (no stupid life jacket) and ex was scared of water so she just watched... Needless to say never again with Rot.. and she is my ex lol..

Only you know your dogs and how they will react and again.. your boat.. so what does it matter what others think ;)

We love to bring our dog on the boat, nails never a problem, but he can be distracting at times!  Only real problem is we can’t keep him in the boat!  The minute he sees someone jump in he is right behind them...which is fun until he starts swimming away from the boat and I have to swim after him!  

FE6E56DF-D596-4811-A2F8-326E576CB4CA.jpeg

2F6048E8-D885-406F-B5AE-B9C1EAA0A653.jpeg

5 hours ago, Txstoj said:

@RyanB just curious, how many pounds of dog food do you go through a month? I buy prob 50lbs a month between my two labs.

We feed raw.  About 210 pounds/month.  :(

6 hours ago, RyanB said:

We feed raw.  About 210 pounds/month.  :(

Do you grind it up yourself and how much does it cost, roughly. Per month. I assume chicken, what else do you use? I have read about that, interesting.