Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 230 vs 2018 21vlx

MalibuV7

A good friend of mine is looking at a 2018 21 VLX vs a 2015 Nautique 230. He is mainly surfing and then general boarding, etc. 

I haven’t had any experience with either of these boats for surfing and wanted to get some opinions. 

He is coming from 2004 VLX so any will be an upgrade. 

I'm not familiar with the 230 but spent a lot of time in a 2018 21VLX last summer.  It will be a huge upgrade from his current 2004.  It will also have 4 years of warranty.   With 550s in the rear, it surfed really well.  It has all the modern conveniences of Malibu with a lower sticker and less bling.  If Malibu offered a 22VLX package/pricing similar to the 21VLX/MLX, I would be all over it (I understand why Malibu doesn't)...  I was coming from an Axis so bling was already stepped up but I couldn't go from a 22' boat down to 21'. 

My only complaint about my cousin's 21VLX is I was constantly running into the bimini when I would step off the rear sunpad onto the cabin bench seat.  It was one of the first things I checked when we were looking at our 22VLX.  The extra 1' makes it so I'll be clear of head injuries, at least from the bimini.  It has never bothered my cousin but he is 4" shorter than me and it's his first boat so he doesn't have anything to compare it to.  It may not bother your friend either @MalibuV7 since the 2004 size is very similar.