Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Insurance

eubanks

12 hours ago, Whitecap said:

The agent today told me that progressive does not offer any freeze protection, or “winterization mistake protection” at all.

Why would you need it when all the experts here (especially those in warmer states) tell you that all you need to do is drain the water from the engine and that all the other members here using anti-freeze in their engine blocks are kooks/morons/heretics and should be banished to jet skis on Antarctica in springtime?

• Like 2
On 9/18/2019 at 9:15 PM, jwl019 said:

Anyone used or heard about Markel Marine Insurance?  So far, the online quote I hsve thru them has the best rate and coverages.  Progessive/USAA is in 2nd at around $150-200 more.

My Skisafe renewal came in the mail yesterday and went from $650 (+$100 winterization) to $911 with less coverage amounts and no winterization.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:48 PM, psb0424 said:

Coincidentally I got two quotes today for my new 2019 23 LSV that I am taking delivery this Saturday; one from Skisafe and one from Markel.  My Malibu dealer recommended Markel. Markel quoted 10% deductible for hull value, diminishing deductible and $300k liability for $658. Skisafe quoted $631 for same hull coverage and deductible but $100k liability for $631premium. Markel American is an AM Best A rated insurance company who has been providing coverage for more than 20 years. I will probably go with Markel. 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:02 PM, jwl019 said:

My current Skisafe policy doesn't expire until 10/26 on my '18 23 LSV so I have been rate shopping.  Rates go from $555-$1,398, so a pretty big swing between companies. 

So far, I have quotes from:

Markel

Boater Ins. Agency 

Skisafe 

USAA/Progressive 

BoatUS/Geico

Waiting to hear back from NBOA on their quote.

My advice is to stay away from Markel. 

They insured a houseboat I was partners with on Lake Powell. We had a total loss and they were absolutely terrible to deal with. I don’t care how much less the premium is i wouldn’t use them. 

18 hours ago, asnowman said:

Boat us / geico its an add on you need to specify, but if i recall correctly, it is $30 a year. Not having that coverage would be a total no go for me.

SkiSafe it is an add on and I'm pretty sure it was an add on when I had state farm.

This thread reminds me that I need to get some quotes.  Personally I don't carry freeze protection, I winterize the boat so I know it can't freeze.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:23 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

My ski safe policy just renewed and didn’t go up at all.

Out of curiosity what is your rate/coverages? Mine has been $264 for the last 3 years for 58K of agreed value coverage on the boat, 3K on the trailer, 300K liability and a 1K deduct.

When I went through their estimate tool it looks like mine will go up substantially this year - if the tool is correct.

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Out of curiosity what is your rate/coverages? Mine has been $264 for the last 3 years for 58K of agreed value coverage on the boat, 3K on the trailer, 300K liability and a 1K deduct.

When I went through their estimate tool it looks like mine will go up substantially this year - if the tool is correct.

578/year. 85k agreed value, 4500 on trailer, 300k liability, freeze protection, 1k deductible. Layup November through March. 

This coverage and price was right in line with others who were taking delivery of 2019’s and was less than my TXi coverage through boat us. I can’t complain. 

• 1 year later...

I know that once you validate your vehicle(s), Liberty Mutual can automatically apply a discount to your offer based on the standard features of your car. You can also view the safety features and select the parts your car has. If your vehicle has the listed safety features, you may be eligible for additional discounts from Liberty Mutual. You will also be asked to provide other information about your car, including fuel type, date of purchase, and the approximate number of miles you drive your car each year. If I were you, I would review the information in detail at https://joywallet.com/review-of-liberty-mutual/

Edited by bajorjoevel