Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Insurance

eubanks

Who are you guys using and at what annual premium?  Quotes on our 2019 23 LSV seem to run in the $700-800 range per year.  Deductibles all over the board.

Skisafe for 2 years now. Mine might be cheaper do to my age 57 but for my 2019 LSV. M5DI / 350hp for $120k for the boat, $5k for the trailer and a lot of other coverages with a 6 month lay up and option to activate for a day or 2 if I wanted to will be $441 a year. Vanishing $1000 deductable goes to $0 after 4 accident free years.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

I also use ski safe. Their customer service has been good through a few questions, but we’ve had no claims. They are very competitive rate and coverage wise. 

I’ve also used boaters insurance agency and they were very helpful too. Just couldn’t compete with ski safes rates. 

I have not shopped for insurance for our 2019 on order but I had Skisafe on my boat that burned.  The boat burned the end of November and claim was settled the beginning of Jan with not too much back and forth with questions.   Very happy with the way ski safe handled it and the premiums on my Axis were as low as any of the others.

1 hour ago, carguy79ta said:

BoatUS...cant recall premiums.

They are the Geico partner.  They quote just under $800 which I thought was a little high.  We have home and auto with Geico so made sense to start there.  

Appreciate all the feedback.  Going to get quotes from Ski Safe and Malcolm.

2 minutes ago, eubanks said:

They are the Geico partner.  They quote just under $800 which I thought was a little high.  We have home and auto with Geico so made sense to start there.  

Appreciate all the feedback.  Going to get quotes from Ski Safe and Malcolm.

Keep in mind... it’s tough to compare premiums across state lines. I found when we moved to Texas all our premiums went up (house, car, boat, etc). 

5 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Keep in mind... it’s tough to compare premiums across state lines. I found when we moved to Texas all our premiums went up (house, car, boat, etc). 

True.  About lost my mind when I saw what happened to my auto insurance moving from WI (where it's slippery a lot) to AZ (where it's not).  Still trying to figure that one out.

For my boat, skisafe was a great deal.

9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Good point.  And so far, it all seems to come down to the layup time.  SkiSafe is $700 for a 0-3 month layup but drops to $550 for a 4+ month layup.  I hate the idea of not being able to use my boat for 4 months at a time, and dropping to only 3 months doesn't save me any money. 

SkiSafe Quote.jpg

ahopkins22LSV

You can call ski safe and probably other insurances companies if you want to use the boat a day or two during the layup period. 

And btw, not having a layup period is a good problem to have and I’d gladly pay $200 more a year for it!

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Good point.  And so far, it all seems to come down to the layup time.  SkiSafe is $700 for a 0-3 month layup but drops to $550 for a 4+ month layup.  I hate the idea of not being able to use my boat for 4 months at a time, and dropping to only 3 months doesn't save me any money. 

SkiSafe Quote.jpg

I may be missinterpreting the liability limit in that table, but that seems low. I’d be looking for $500k so that it coordinates with my umbrella policy. 

• Like 2

Progressive in Alabama.

I use a $1000/$2000 deductible on my boat of significantly less value.

$267 premium.

I agree, the liability seems low at $25k, I'm $100, $300, $100 and feel a bit low. I'm much more worried about somebody getting injured than a collision.

4 hours ago, UWSkier said:

True.  About lost my mind when I saw what happened to my auto insurance moving from WI (where it's slippery a lot) to AZ (where it's not).  Still trying to figure that one out.

For my boat, skisafe was a great deal.

Living in California I have “Two words”

Fraudulent Lawsuits!!! 

Another SkiSafe. 

My insurance agent is my dads buddy. I have 3 cars and my house though him and he couldn't touch SkiSafe. 

423 a year for my 2010 LSV. Named my coverage for complete loss of boat and trailer. And one thing I found out, they cover the max amount the government can come after you if it sinks for environmental fees which is damn near a million bucks. 

Insured Property: 2010 23' Malibu Boats Wakesetter 23 Lsv
Hull Coverage: $60,000

Horsepower: 350
Outboard Motor (if any) Included
Towing $1,000
Trailer $4,000

Standard: $1,000
Windstorm: $3,000
Disappearing Deductible Starts Date: March 26, 2018
PART E: Liability Coverage $300,000
PART F: Medical Payments $25,000
PART G: Uninsured Boaters Liability Included in Part E Limit
PART I: Personal Property $5,000
Deductible Applicable to Part I: $250
Full Premium: $423

This policy is subject to the vessel being laid-up on land from: October 15 to March 15

Edited by Ryan1776

I have SkiSafe with the same coverages as Ryan ^^, except $2500 on personal property instead of $5k (figure my boards float, lol). $80k stated value on my 2014 boat and $5k on the trailer. I opted for zero layup since we are able to go out all year if we wear a light wet-suit and you don't mind some initial shock when you jump in, lol. Think it was about $100 difference to remove the 3-4 month layup period for me and I wanted to be able to go whenever I wanted without risking an excuse to get out of coverage tho all the reviews I have seen on SkiSafe when it comes to claims are pretty top notch. Cost is $554yr, I have no claims history on boat, or on vehicles in last 7-10yrs. Price does vary state to state. BOATUS and Progressive were both $800+ for same coverage and some places (like State Farm) where much higher and around $1300 and some companies don't do stated value which I think could be a risk on machines like this that hold value so well when used and many times sell for more than the "blue book" values since many options cant even be added when you blue book. Kelley BB for boats actually seems fairly reasonable and accurate, I love that in the last 2yrs, my 2014 has only lost roughly $2k is listed value according to BB.

Something I liked about SkiSafe, is there are only around 8 pages of clearly written policy terms (their fine print) and they provide it upfront. Many companies either dont provide it unless you ask, only provide a link so if you are not looking for it you can easily miss it or the fine print is 50 pages long with tons of legal mumbo-jumbo that could be translated several ways depending on the attorney. I do a lot of work for insurance companies and they vary greatly when you look at the fine print, I constantly see people with the exact same damage to their homes (take a house fire for instance) and while 1 insurance company bends over backwards to help them and makes sure that they get what they deserve and pay ACTUAL replacement value....the next company will be trying to screw them every which way and will bring up all kinds of "fine print" items in an effort to get out of paying. Some of it obviously comes down to getting the right coverage since a lot of people don't edjucate themselves on the fine print in case something bad like fire or water damage happens, but much of it is also tied to the insurance company providing the insurance. Some are great companies, some are good and some are downright crooks. Its not always tied to how much you pay either tho obviously your history can greatly effect the premiums. 

FYI....There are some discounts SkiSafe provides if you are member of some of the forums. For instance, my initial rate was $588 and for being a member of the PN forum, I got a $34 discount down to $554. I did not know that when I signed up in March of 2018, I just renewed my policy for 2019 and the bill was the same as last year ($588), I emailed them to ask about the discount since it was something I recently learned and within 48hrs they had replied and sent me the adjusted renewal @ $554.

#following...  Left USAA/Progressive in the fall and about to sign up with SkiSafe depending on other opinions and facts on this thread

3 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Progressive has been great to me.  Reasonable premiums and two claims that couldn’t have been more hassle free!

my only issue with Progressive is they don't truly have a layup period.  You still pay, they just raise all the deductibles as high as they can go and toggle a few other things in the policy.  They also were nearly $200 more than my quote from SkiSafe in the fall when I was pondering the idea of switching.

I like the no layup thing so I don’t have to worry about it.  I haven’t shopped their price in years but can’t speak highly enough of the service I have got front them so I am happy.  You can pick the deductibles, etc and of course, the price changes based on that.  Super easy to use online too - I added the new boat to my account within probably 5 minutes all online after business hours.