Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Axis owner looking for prop insight A24

I am new to the forum and a new axis owner. The boat is an 18 a24. The prop on it at purchase was an Acme 2755 which is a 17" diameter x 14" pitch. 409 engine. 700 ft elevation here.

This prop pitch make for cruising/wakeboard speed rpms to be too high...even the surf rpm at 11.7mph is running at 4000 +-.

Ballast setup with everything full is as follows;

Rear PnP 750's

Front Pnp 625

Front pop bags under bow sack 600lbs

Pop Bags under side seats in rear, 300 lbs per side.

5 adults and 4 young children in boat most of the time. Everyone rides in back 90% of the time.

This was a starting point as far as ballast configuration.

The boat will pull all of this up to 24 mph really fast.(used to an old overweighted VLX with a 15" x19" prop taking for ever to get on plane and settled.)

Has anyone run weight in this ballpark with a 17" x 17" prop like the Acme 2569? How sluggish was it?

I know I can go up in pitch, but go to an Acme 3077 only buys 1.5" of pitch...

Edited by MFknK

After a long talk with acme, they have recommended that I jump to a 2805 for a weighted test run, but they feel I will probably like the 3077 better overall. With the extra cup on the 3077, it helps keep rpm down. 

Will give it a shot and report back.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MFknK said:

After a long talk with acme, they have recommended that I jump to a 2805 for a weighted test run, but they feel I will probably like the 3077 better overall. With the extra cup on the 3077, it helps keep rpm down. 

Will give it a shot and report back.

Going from 2755 to 2805 is a big jump.  I think the crew at ACME are correct and that you should go with the 3077.  That's what I'm running on my 25LSV.

1 hour ago, Dfowkes said:

Going from 2755 to 2805 is a big jump.  I think the crew at ACME are correct and that you should go with the 3077.  That's what I'm running on my 25LSV.

How are your surf and wakeboard rpms with that prop? 

In all reality, I think you are right, but wishful thinking wants to try the 2805 first.

I am very good with picking outboard props. I have never had to change one on a wakeboat, but have dealt with difficult planing conditions on another boat.

Geeze. Yours are much lower. You have a 2:1 trans in that boat, correct?

Surfing at 11.7 its right at 4000 rpm. 

Wakeboarding at 24 its 4150.

if I didnt feel like I was launching out of the hole completely loaded, I would not worry about the prop. But I have some torque to give up.

Edited by MFknK
55 minutes ago, MFknK said:

Geeze. Yours are much lower. You have a 2:1 trans in that boat, correct?

Surfing at 11.7 its right at 4000 rpm. 

Wakeboarding at 24 its 4150.

if I didnt feel like I was launching out of the hole completely loaded, I would not worry about the prop. But I have some torque to give up.

Yes 2:1 transmission.  I have not checked wakeboard RPM's.  Are your numbers with the 2755 prop?  Also what altitude are you?

7 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

@Dfowkes Did your rpm's drop a couple hundred with surf right?

RPM's pretty close on both sides.  I still have only been able to be on the water the one time.  Too much rain.  This weekend is my wife's birthday and unless I was to sleep in the boat it will stay in storage this weekend also.  @Sparky450 have you tried the 2805 yet?  

42 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

Yes 2:1 transmission.  I have not checked wakeboard RPM's.  Are your numbers with the 2755 prop?  Also what altitude are you?

Yes numbers are with 2755. We are at 700’ elevation

6 minutes ago, MFknK said:

Yes numbers are with 2755. We are at 700’ elevation

I'm still betting that the 3077 is the right prop for you.  It will lower your RPM's and still have a good hole shot.  Like I said earlier I ordered a 2805 to be my spare prop but I have not tried it.  I'm still trying to find time to put hours on my new boat.  Only 3.6 so far.  Between the rain and family commitments getting out has been a challenge.  

15 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

I'm still betting that the 3077 is the right prop for you.  It will lower your RPM's and still have a good hole shot.  Like I said earlier I ordered a 2805 to be my spare prop but I have not tried it.  I'm still trying to find time to put hours on my new boat.  Only 3.6 so far.  Between the rain and family commitments getting out has been a challenge.  

I hear ya. What elevation are you at?

1 hour ago, Dfowkes said:

RPM's pretty close on both sides.  I still have only been able to be on the water the one time.  Too much rain.  This weekend is my wife's birthday and unless I was to sleep in the boat it will stay in storage this weekend also.  @Sparky450 have you tried the 2805 yet?  

No, And even though we are getting nice weather this weekend, It will probably be another week. :badmood:

1 hour ago, Cboom12 said:

Dfowkes what motor does your boat have? If your boat makes significantly more power couldn’t that be part of the difference??

M6DI

3 hours ago, Cboom12 said:

Dfowkes what motor does your boat have? If your boat makes significantly more power couldn’t that be part of the difference??

Even if it had significantly more power, it wouldn’t make a difference in rpm with same prop, except that its a different hull. Ratio’s being equal mean the theoretical prop pitch will move the boat foward the same distance per rotation. 

It would however make a difference it the pitch of prop it could turn.

That being said, The 25 LSV with 400hp appears to be a great hull to compare my a24 to. 

Hopefully I can get a crew together early next week to try out the 3077 and I will post some numbers.

18 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

@CBray4 what setup, rpms and prop are you guys running?

Well we don’t wakeboard, only surf. But we have the factory torque prop(2755). We done have the PW2. We drop the manual wedge and fill all the ballasts and go! Simple!

As far as ballast go we have 750’s(I think) in the rear and a 625 up front. Fill the rears until they burst and fill the bow until it pushes the cushions up. Usually have at least 6 people in the boat. Usually a kid or 2 up front with an adult and whoever else in the cabin. We never tell anyone to sit in any certain spot. Our wave is super consistent no matter what(unless we have 10 people in the cabin and nobody in the bow). 

I(6’4” 210lbs) like my wave right at 10.8-10.9 but my wife(5’4” 110lbs) likes her wave at 11.2-11.4. We both ride on the regular side. And I honestly have no idea where our RPM’s run at those speeds. To be honest I don’t care enough to look. 

1CC1700E-A529-4332-A342-C694DF94E115.jpeg

Not much of a change in subject, but on my A24 my speed is 12mph.  We are skiing on the river (if you gotta ask, don't), that has about a 3-5 mph current (usually surfing upriver).  Do you think because of the current, my speeds (for the whole family) tend to be higher.

So here r the stats for the 3077 just for comparison we are pretty much at sea level, we have the 750s in the back and the 650 in the bow. Today we only had 2 adults and 2 kids in the boat. I also have 150lbs of lead under the spotter seat and 100lbs to move around the boat. The first pic is cruising speed, turning just over 4K at 27 mph. I  noticed immediately when I got the boat that top speed wasn’t going to be great but it’s not that big of a deal as we don’t generally have to drive too far to ride. 

The second pic is surf setup. Everything full wedge at 2 and 11.6 speed. 3200 rpm seems pretty good to me. I meant to take a pic of the wave but I must have got side tracked and forgot to snap it.

Last pic is just because it’s 75 deg here and I’m pumped it’s time to ride finally. 

16BD511A-83B0-417F-A459-749951F2661C_zps9D000178-B986-46BC-BB6C-9711E9976E37_zpsA2936635-393B-4DF3-9565-6400CEA9D02C_zps3C81A29F-5FD3-4C1B-AEB0-27BF9E6EB5AC_zps

• Like 1
On 3/18/2019 at 9:33 PM, Cboom12 said:

So here r the stats for the 3077 just for comparison we are pretty much at sea level, we have the 750s in the back and the 650 in the bow. Today we only had 2 adults and 2 kids in the boat. I also have 150lbs of lead under the spotter seat and 100lbs to move around the boat. The first pic is cruising speed, turning just over 4K at 27 mph. I  noticed immediately when I got the boat that top speed wasn’t going to be great but it’s not that big of a deal as we don’t generally have to drive too far to ride. 

The second pic is surf setup. Everything full wedge at 2 and 11.6 speed. 3200 rpm seems pretty good to me. I meant to take a pic of the wave but I must have got side tracked and forgot to snap it.

Last pic is just because it’s 75 deg here and I’m pumped it’s time to ride finally. 

16BD511A-83B0-417F-A459-749951F2661C_zps9D000178-B986-46BC-BB6C-9711E9976E37_zpsA2936635-393B-4DF3-9565-6400CEA9D02C_zps3C81A29F-5FD3-4C1B-AEB0-27BF9E6EB5AC_zps

Thank you for posting that.

27mph at 4k~ is so much better. Your surf rpm is also much improved, though I think I will still be higher due to pushing more weight with the prop slippage at that speed. 

I just got back from a long trip, but hoping to be able to pick up a 3077 and give it a go next week.

Great real world data there.

I will posted back as soon as I run it with number for comparison. Also some wave pics with a fully loaded boat. I have a lot more bow weight. 

• 3 weeks later...

I too just switched from the 2755 to 3077. With the 3077 i was running around 4300 rpm at 21.5 fully loaded. 

FYI we were running full stock, oversized 950 bags in the rear, 1000 lbs of lead, plus 1100lb center sac for good measure. The wake is one of the best i have ever been on and many people i ride with agree. But the rps were too high.

I ran the 3077 with all that weight except the 1100 lb sac because we didnt have time. Even still the hole shot was still easy and the rpms are now at 3900 with is just right. I will report back tomorrow after we ride with all the weight. 

I still haven’t been able to try the 3077, yet. Actually only had the boat out for a quick set... 

6 hours ago, Plilernator said:

I too just switched from the 2755 to 3077. With the 3077 i was running around 4300 rpm at 21.5 fully loaded. 

FYI we were running full stock, oversized 950 bags in the rear, 1000 lbs of lead, plus 1100lb center sac for good measure. The wake is one of the best i have ever been on and many people i ride with agree. But the rps were too high.

I ran the 3077 with all that weight except the 1100 lb sac because we didnt have time. Even still the hole shot was still easy and the rpms are now at 3900 with is just right. I will report back tomorrow after we ride with all the weight. 

What motor do you have?

Where do you have your lead?

and I agree the wake is sick. We ran what I had posted above with 9 adults sitting in the back. It was dope.