Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
mmbrew

Tower overhead lighting suggestions

Recommended Posts

mmbrew

I would like to improve the interior lighting on my 2018 VLX.  I don't boat a lot at night, but when I do I wish I had better lighting when I am cleaning out the boat.  I was thinking adding overhead lighting from the tower.  I really only find spot light type lights for the tower.  

Has anyone installed overhead lighting from the tower?  Would like to see what others have done to improve interior lighting.  Please share photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcon44

I stuck an LED puck light on the underside of my tower. Its got two aaa batteries and you just press to to turn on and off, simply replace each year as it gets worn out or the battery's die...

https://smile.amazon.com/Zxlightled-Battery-operated-Stick-Light-Wireless/dp/B01ABS2DPU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1IGLV3L89ATV8&keywords=puck+lights+black&qid=1552314981&s=gateway&sprefix=puck+lights+bl%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mmbrew
21 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I made these courtesy lights to go in the mounting location for a second pair of speakers. The LEDs shine down at a 30 degree angle to light up the interior. They are switched from the Tower Light icon on the 7” screen. I’ve made them for my last several boats. Made a few sets for local friends. (Speaker brackets are mine as well).

6A23D8FD-6A7A-468E-947C-FDA6CBE56755.jpeg

F910BE1A-8645-4395-BFA5-C00F0BD89F37.jpeg

That is sharp.  I will investigate something similar with my stock speaker mount.  Any where particular you got the light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mmbrew
10 hours ago, jcon44 said:

I stuck an LED puck light on the underside of my tower. Its got two aaa batteries and you just press to to turn on and off, simply replace each year as it gets worn out or the battery's die...

https://smile.amazon.com/Zxlightled-Battery-operated-Stick-Light-Wireless/dp/B01ABS2DPU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1IGLV3L89ATV8&keywords=puck+lights+black&qid=1552314981&s=gateway&sprefix=puck+lights+bl%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-5

 

That is quick and easy.  I may use until I get something I really like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie
5 minutes ago, mmbrew said:

That is sharp.  I will investigate something similar with my stock speaker mount.  Any where particular you got the light?

Pactrade Marine

They are probably available on that site in a pair if you look. I have found several others available, some even on Amazon. I haven't seen any more wth the 30 degree down firing light angle though.

The light bracket for the courtesy light is made out of ABS plastic. It machines with normal router bits and drills. I painted them with plastic adhesion promoter and the best grade of paint I could find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mmbrew

Thanks for the idea and information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shammy
On 3/11/2019 at 7:02 PM, Ronnie said:

Pactrade Marine

They are probably available on that site in a pair if you look. I have found several others available, some even on Amazon. I haven't seen any more wth the 30 degree down firing light angle though.

The light bracket for the courtesy light is made out of ABS plastic. It machines with normal router bits and drills. I painted them with plastic adhesion promoter and the best grade of paint I could find.

Ronnie,

Those look great! I may have to try making some. How thick was the plastic you used? Thanks for the idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie
18 minutes ago, Shammy said:

Ronnie,

Those look great! I may have to try making some. How thick was the plastic you used? Thanks for the idea

1/2"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...