Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

One Way Pick-up/Truck Rental to tow boat

spinxt

So, I'm potentially looking to purchase a Malibu in Texas and tow it back to Pennsylvania.   I'm having trouble finding a place to rent a pick-up or moving truck that will allow towing.   Most all of the common rental car agencies don't offer one-way pickup truck rental and the ones that do don't allow towing.  Does anyone have an idea for me?   I don't want to ship it....I wan to tow it back with me.

I would think uhaul would but not sure what kind of truck you would get.   Or make sure your own insurance covers towing with a rental and just rent a pickup truck.  I end up with trucks sometimes for rentals when I travel and I would never think whether to ask if towing was okay or not.  

I looked at doing the same from Florida to Utah, but found a shipper who would do it for cheaper than it was going to cost me.  What I found was that National Car will do a one way rental for trucks and SUV. I couldn’t find anything in the agreement that said you can’t tow with their vehicles (disclaimer: don’t take my word for it and read it yourself). Even if it did I was going to chance it anyways.

I looked online at their used car sales in the Florida area and saw that most trucks had a tow package and all the large SUVs did so I rented an SUV to be safe. When I made the reservation I didn’t tell them what I was doing and had no issue. When I arrived at the airport they had a row of SUVs and told me to take my pick. I chose a Ford Expedition with the ecoboost.

The dealer was going to throw a tow hitch in for free for me but after driving to the dealer and test driving I finally got a call back from a tow company that ended up doing it for $1200. I figured with the rental ($1900 one way) and gas/food/hotel I would be into it $2500.

Edited by vaporbluebu

Complete understand the desire to pull it home yourself but a few years ago I used uShip and got connected with a guy who exclusively tows/delivers boats/marine stuff around the US. He and his brothers have 3 big F350’s they use and they were fantastic. These guys loved and understood boats as much as the people on TMC and they understood they were towing something special. Communication and speed of delivery was unbelievable and every 4 or 5 hours the guy would snap a photo of his truck with the load and text along with an update. I was super impressed. In my case I was actually trying to get a new G3.2 tower delivered from Tennessee to Seattle... so not actually a boat but they were able to bring it with a boat they were towing this way. They knew exactly how to wrap up and protect the tower and how to get it to me safely. I chatted with the guy when he arrived and learned a little more about their little business.  I’m trying to find the guys name but haven’t found it yet... I’ll post back if I find it. If I needed to move my boat I’d wouldn’t hesitate to use them.

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

Enterprise has trucks f250’s

Can't tow and they only rent with the same pickup and drop off location (no one-way)

I looked high and low for this last year. Wanted to rent in PDX and drop in PHX. None of the rental companies allow towing cross country. Ended up getting connected with a transporter who was driving empty from the NW to collect a boat in LA suburbs. Before finding him, I was having decent luck on U-Ship. 

Edited by UWSkier

Hm, enterprise has no issue with me towing. I've towed long distance with their trucks, but did return to same location. Theyve always provided the receiver for me. 

Steve B.

Enterprise has f150s for rent with a different drop off location. Stupid expensive but you can do it. Probably be cheaper to buy a truck and sell it, or realistically have someone ship it. 

4 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Hm, enterprise has no issue with me towing. I've towed long distance with their trucks, but did return to same location. Theyve always provided the receiver for me. 

Steve B.

For same location that's fine. I had an enterprise Silverado 1500 in Portland for the day when I bought my boat. They wouldn't let me drop it off anywhere else though. 

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue recently. I have in the past rented a truck that could not be driven 1 way, and then told the rental company that something came up amd I would not make it back to the same location. The last time I think they charged me $175 for not returning to the same location.

I have a number for a great shipper similar to one mentioned above. They run 1 ton trucks with 300 gallon fuel tank plumbed from the bed of the truck. It was cheaper and they called me often with updates. 

I recieved my boat in 25 hours on what google said was a 21 hour straight trip. Ifyou want their info, pm me and I will find it

I did the buy in Texas ship the boat to California thing last year.  I did the math and I was able to fly to Texas, drive the boat, pay for boat and fly home in one day, then have it delivered to my house for about the same price as going to get it.  You have to figure in gas, lodging, time off from work for the round trip, not to mention a passenger/co driver that you should take with you.   Those numbers were figuring using my own vehicle to haul the boat.  A rental makes the math slant even more to delivery.   The transport was about a buck a mile and it was fully insured to my house.  If something happened in transport they had to fix it, not me.  It all worked out great.

Edited by Hyperryd