Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller replacement 2018 T22 409 monsoon

Anyone do an impeller replacement on a new 409 monsoon yet... 2018 crusader 409..I have 90 hrs on it.says change every 50, so I guess it's time... I see the details in the manual, but confused if I need to adjust tension pulley and remove cam wheel, or do I use the 3 holes in the, pulley to unscrew the 3 bolts?  I just don't see how, after removing the bolts, I'll be able to remove the impeller with the front pulley wheel on?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thx

So assuming you have the PCM pulley driven raw water pump (and not a shaft driven johnson style)...

take the belt off (loosen tensioner, remove belt).  EASY.

Leave the pulley on, but use an allen wrench to remove the three allen bolts from the raw water pump housing (IIRC, your wrench will go through the holes in the pulley to do this).  The three bolts are held in by little rubber washers and will "dangle" there on the pump face.  That's fine.  You don't need them all the way removed from the front side of the pump.

Once the bolts are loose, wiggle the pulley back and forth and the pulley and the front of the water pump will start coming out with the impeller on the pump shaft (which is attached to the pulley).

So unlike an indmar 350 engine, where the cover reveals the pump cavity with an imeller on a shaft, the whole shaft will pull out, with the impeller on it.  No need for an impeller puller.

It's REALLY easy and I've probably not explained it well.  Mucho easier than the johnson style water pump.  

• Like 2

Just a post impeller follow up, whole job took about one hour, most time was spent removing belt cover and such.  The 3 bolts holding pump are 10mm and came right out. The impeller did however remain in the cavity when I pulled the pump off, no biggie, pair of needle nose, came right out.  I had 91 hours and the impeller was a bit deformed, but no too dry rotted.  It may have made it another season, but why risk it, so I'm glad I replaced it.  Thx shawndoggy..

• Like 3

Really glad I saw this...will pull this back out mid-late summer as I'll be doing the same thing for the first time.  Thanks to all for sharing the knowledge!

I read this post about an hour ago and decided I had nothing to do. I bought a spare impeller last fall and figured I’d wait til the off season to change. It was seriously easy. Took about 20 minutes. My impeller had a little wear but not bad. This is the first impeller change at 125 hours. Thanks for post this info. 

10 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Where did you guys purchase your impeller from? Looking to pickup a spare.

Nautiqueparts.com is a good source especially if you are going to buy a fuel filter too. 

• Like 1

Bakes. Part number is RP061022. No puller needed. Comes with new large O ring and the 3 smaller ones. I reused my originals. They looked fine. Kept the new ones in the boat tool box. That part number is a OEM PCM part btw. I’m sure there is another brand but this is the one i found through bakes. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

might be a silly question, but my buddy has the same engine with closed cooling system would there be 2 impellers? ( one for exhaust and 1 for cooling system?)

23 minutes ago, WAKEMASTER said:

might be a silly question, but my buddy has the same engine with closed cooling system would there be 2 impellers? ( one for exhaust and 1 for cooling system?)

nope, just one impeller.  the cooling system is closed (like your car) and the engine water pump circulates the coolant past the heat exchanger (a water-to-coolant radiator) just like the engine water pump circulates the coolant past your radiator (an air-to-coolant radiator) in your car.  The impeller circulates the water past the heat exchanger and out the exhaust in the closed cooling setup.

• 1 year later...

So first time winterizing my 2020 (that has a 410 monsoon); it mentions removing the impeller as part of this.  

How many people doing that?  I store in a heated building; that could freeze if a freak occurrence happened; but not likely.  I've owned 2 other boats for the past 25 years and never pulled an impeller....

Thoughts?

I did find the (4) blue plugs; but it took some special contortion on my part 

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know if the Monsoon 409 and 450 impellers are the same?  I would imagine so but want to confirm.  I have a 2019 22LSV

33 minutes ago, Anthonytsc said:

Does anyone know if the Monsoon 409 and 450 impellers are the same?  I would imagine so but want to confirm.  I have a 2019 22LSV

Assuming you have a PCM motor, yes, the PCM impellers are the same on the GM 6.0 motors. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, shawndoggy said:

Assuming you have a PCM motor, yes, the PCM impellers are the same on the GM 6.0 motors. 

Hey can someone help me here I have a 2019 pcm 450 just pulled the impeller and it doesn't match the impeller RP061022 I bought to replace it with. The new one is slightly shorter and doesn't have the same pattern where keyholes are for shaft. Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks guys

I patiently wait in my hot a** garage in Havasu lol.

1 hour ago, Hightom said:

Hey can someone help me here I have a 2019 pcm 450 just pulled the impeller and it doesn't match the impeller RP061022 I bought to replace it with. The new one is slightly shorter and doesn't have the same pattern where keyholes are for shaft. Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks guys

Is the sea pump on your engine belt driven and located on the starboard side of the engine?  Maybe you can post a photo of the pump.

I haven't figured out how to upload photos but yes the pump is belt driven had to pull the belt and pulley to remove. It's located on the starboard side understeer oil filter.

On 4/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, shawndoggy said:

Thanks guys

46 minutes ago, csleaver said:

@hightom

Is the center of the replacement impeller you bought round with two flat sides like the pump shaft, or what does it look like?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1hktaey33pfind/rp061022_impeller_5.jpg?dl=0

I figured it out. The service guy at nautique took a look at it and broke out the same box with same part as the old impeller.

Looks like the online store put the wrong impeller in the right box. Thanks for your help.