Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear Ballast bag size

Safety3rd

My 2019 T23 has been delivered and the dealer is installing the rear plug and play with auto vent. What size bags should I go with? 750's, 900 or 1100? This is my first time with the power wedge. In my 17 I had an extra 400 up near the front in the walk way to add bow weight but the wave was money. Any input would be great. 

-Patrick

ahopkins22LSV

Malibu recommends 550’s or 750’s. I’d probably go 750’s and the standard bow bag. I don’t recall what size that is but it’s a good size bag. The length of the T23 will significantly help bow rise, probably don’t have to run any additional bow weight. If you went 900 or 1100’s, I wouldn’t be sure they will actually fill to potential, you might have to run additional weight in terms of lead or a different bag above the seats. In the past few years Malibu has really made improvements for weight and ballast, and hull design for wave performance. You no longer have to insanely slam the boat to get a great wave. You will actually hinder the the wave if you have too much weight because the surf gate will be under water. So especially with PW3 you don’t want that because the wedge gives you huge adjustability with adding or moving weight. 

18 hours ago, Safety3rd said:

My 2019 T23 has been delivered and the dealer is installing the rear plug and play with auto vent. What size bags should I go with? 750's, 900 or 1100? This is my first time with the power wedge. In my 17 I had an extra 400 up near the front in the walk way to add bow weight but the wave was money. Any input would be great. 

-Patrick

750's for sure. PW and the hull improvements have improved the wave on the T-series making the extra ballast (walkway, etc..) unnecessary. Congrats on the new boat!

• 3 months later...

Thanks guys, they actually installed the 900's on their own. I've got 50 hours on it now (and a high altitude prop). I've added 150 lbs of lead in the nose under the plug and play up there, as well as 100lbs directly to the left of the drivers seat to offset the drivers weight. The 900's dont fill all the way because I have the auto vent package and the water gets above the drain ports before the bag is completely full. I've got about 3 inches of empty bag at the top when the ballast begins working its way out. Not sure how that works... but I "seent it with my own eyes" lol. 

• Like 1
On 6/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, Safety3rd said:

Thanks guys, they actually installed the 900's on their own. I've got 50 hours on it now (and a high altitude prop). I've added 150 lbs of lead in the nose under the plug and play up there, as well as 100lbs directly to the left of the drivers seat to offset the drivers weight. The 900's dont fill all the way because I have the auto vent package and the water gets above the drain ports before the bag is completely full. I've got about 3 inches of empty bag at the top when the ballast begins working its way out. Not sure how that works... but I "seent it with my own eyes" lol. 

How do you like your 19 wave compared to the 17, Are you using pw3?

• 4 weeks later...

I like it, not much of a change until you use the Pw3, but I only use that when there are 4 or less people on the boat. Ideally we have ten people (I know it crowded!) worth of weight and no wedge and its money. The lip is cleaner without the wedge down. However for me the wedge on 4 for the regular side and 2 for the goofy side when we just have a few people on is pretty comparable. It does send the RPM's above 4k though which for me seems a bit high vs 3.5 plus.  

So do you get any more weight out of a 900 lb bag vs a 750 since it dosnt fill all the way? I’ve noticed with my 750’s and auto vent that they don’t seem “full” either. On my 2016 my rear bags would fill full and be hard. Looking for more rear weight in my 19 t23

Just to add to it I have the 550's in the rear and am extremely happy.

They fill fully, I still have a little room on top w/ the rear deck closed to lay a few things on the top and I love my wave (T22 but you get the idea)...