Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Tire Jack

SCMike

I’ve been reading that the jack from my F-250 might not work if I get a flat on my trailer.  Anyone have any experience here?  If the F-250 jack won’t work, what do you guys recommend?  I hear the Andersen rapid jack works, but I’m reading is has mixed reviews.  Works on some trailers and not on others.  I’ve got at least 5k of towing ahead of me this summer and want to make sure I’m prepared.

thx!

I would be surprised if the f250 jack would not work. Take it out and try it. I know multiple times with a tandem trailer I have been able to either find a block for the good tire or a hole for the flat one. Basically float the flat one way or another. 

ahopkins22LSV

I have one of these: Trailer-Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp, The Fast and Easy Way To Change A Trailer's Flat Tire, Holds up to 15,000 lbs, 4.5 Inch Lift (Yellow) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I4JPZE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M-7FCbPQVJ7QV

Honestly haven’t tried it yet, suppose I should before our next long road trip. I think a jack for a 250 would probably work but I know my dads jack from his 1500 mid 2000’s wouldn’t lift our single axle trailer and our 98 Moomba outback. Ended up calling for a wrecker n

• Like 3

I always carry this and a few blocks a scrap 2x6 when we head to lake.  Lifts my boat with ease and takes up little space.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-T91207A-Stubby-Hydraulic-Bottle-Jack-12-Ton/52597888

I'm sure my F250 jack would lift my boat but when we're heading to the lake, I've got a packed truck with two kids in booster seats so unloading the cab to get to the jack isn't a viable option.   I've had this bottle jack for about 8 years now and still works great.

4 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I have one of these: Trailer-Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp, The Fast and Easy Way To Change A Trailer's Flat Tire, Holds up to 15,000 lbs, 4.5 Inch Lift (Yellow) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I4JPZE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M-7FCbPQVJ7QV

Honestly haven’t tried it yet, suppose I should before our next long road trip. I think a jack for a 250 would probably work but I know my dads jack from his 1500 mid 2000’s wouldn’t lift our single axle trailer and our 98 Moomba outback. Ended up calling for a wrecker n

I just bought the black one based on your post , paid 10 more so it would sort of “hide” in the coated truck bed, the yellow would have sort of been more attractive to steal , want to throw it in truck bed and forget it

this is the way to go Versus a jack with tandom

I think I’ll practice with it in the street in front of house , backing up on it and pulling up on it with wife driving , as it would be out on the road! 

On 3/6/2019 at 6:11 AM, hethj7 said:

This jack says it has a 3,000 lbs capacity.  Since our boats way more than that, would this one still be acceptable?  I know you wouldn't be lifting the whole thing so what capacity would be recommended to look at when getting a jack to change a trailer tire?  I currently have a bottle jack, but I like the ease of these.  Plus this one looks compact with having a storage case.

46 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

This jack says it has a 3,000 lbs capacity.  Since our boats way more than that, would this one still be acceptable?  I know you wouldn't be lifting the whole thing so what capacity would be recommended to look at when getting a jack to change a trailer tire?  I currently have a bottle jack, but I like the ease of these.  Plus this one looks compact with having a storage case.

Yes it will  , at least for my a20 it does and I expect even heavier boats, your not lifting whole weight 

On 3/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, wedge88 said:

I always carry this and a few blocks a scrap 2x6 when we head to lake.  Lifts my boat with ease and takes up little space.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-T91207A-Stubby-Hydraulic-Bottle-Jack-12-Ton/52597888

I'm sure my F250 jack would lift my boat but when we're heading to the lake, I've got a packed truck with two kids in booster seats so unloading the cab to get to the jack isn't a viable option.   I've had this bottle jack for about 8 years now and still works great.

Where the heck does ford keep the jack these days? 

Make sure you have a lug wrench to fit your trailer's lug nuts as well.  I've helped a few people on the side of the road that had a workable jack for their boat, but didn't take into account their boat had different size lugs than the tow vehicle.

Thanks everyone for the replys.  I’m glad to hear my F-250 jack should work.  I’m with @wedge88 and feel like I should pick up a dedicated jack so I don’t have to unload my girls out of the back seat when on long road trips.  Seems like the ramp type jacks might be the easiest to store and use, so I’ll probably just order one and test it in the driveway. 

I already have a lug wrench, so I’m good there.

8 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Thanks everyone for the replys.  I’m glad to hear my F-250 jack should work.  I’m with @wedge88 and feel like I should pick up a dedicated jack so I don’t have to unload my girls out of the back seat when on long road trips.  Seems like the ramp type jacks might be the easiest to store and use, so I’ll probably just order one and test it in the driveway. 

I already have a lug wrench, so I’m good there.

Or buy a Dodge. Open the front passenger door reach under the seat and pull it out.  :tease2:

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sparky450 said:

Or buy a Dodge. Open the front passenger door reach under the seat and pull it out.  :tease2:

Seems like a logical solution. Haha

I keep a dedicated bottle jack and some scrap pieces of 2x6 in the truck as well. I also bought a Kobalt impact that I keep in the truck.

The comment about the lug nuts is very valid, even a 4 way wont work with most new boats cause the custom rims have smaller holes and a 4 way will not fit inside the opening. My tandem has 18" "Gear Alloy" rims that require a special lug socket that is thin walled.

I use a piece of old 4" x 6" X 16" long wood with an angle cut on 1 end. With tandem trailer that's all I need. Pull up or back up the good wheel on it and ready to dismount bad one. No worries about someone stealing it out of back of truck. Why would they take a piece of scrap lumber. It has been tested and used along interstates more than once. Fastest way to get out of that scary position I know of.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

I keep a dedicated bottle jack and some scrap pieces of 2x6 in the truck as well. I also bought a Kobalt impact that I keep in the truck.

The comment about the lug nuts is very valid, even a 4 way wont work with most new boats cause the custom rims have smaller holes and a 4 way will not fit inside the opening. My tandem has 18" "Gear Alloy" rims that require a special lug socket that is thin walled.

I’m keep a DeWalt impact in my truck as well.  Agree, I don’t think a 4 way would work with my stock Malibu  14’s. 

The 3620 rapid jack is legit. I've used it on my 15' A22 trailer a couple times and it works great every time. Super fast and super easy.

It comes with a little sheet of rubber to put under it in case it slips, but I haven't had any problems without using it.

I also keep extra trailer lug studs in my truck. I pulled my boat out of the water after a weekend at the lake and the trailer had a flat tire. Then one of my lugs just snaps while putting on my spare tire. I had to drive 2 hours home while missing a lug nut on that tire. Luckily 4 lugs can get you home

17 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Where the heck does ford keep the jack these days? 

In my F250, between rear seat and back wall of cab.  I have a lever to fold the rear seat panel forward and have all kinds of room back there, but unfortunately it's hard to get to with car seats.  I call it my "EMERGENCY EMERGENCY STORAGE."  I keep extra wood blocks, large tow straps, bibs and coat (winter), extra hitch receiver but I keep a standard "EMERGENCY" kit in an industrial milk crate in the bed with jack, 4 way lug wrench, multimeter, sockets, straps, jumper cables etc in the bed.  I also have a 3-4' pvc 2" pipe to use as a breaker bar as I've been on the side of the road for trailer tires and they never seem to want to break lose.  

Edited by wedge88
12 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I use a piece of old 4" x 6" X 16" long wood with an angle cut on 1 end. With tandem trailer that's all I need. Pull up or back up the good wheel on it and ready to dismount bad one. No worries about someone stealing it out of back of truck. Why would they take a piece of scrap lumber. It has been tested and used along interstates more than once. Fastest way to get out of that scary position I know of.

This.  I keep several short 2x6 boards in the back of my truck for tire changes.  I bought a bad batch of tires for my flat utility trailer a few years ago.  One by one (luckily) they blew out while I had a load on the trailer.  The last one took me five minutes from blowout to back on the road, and I'm not exaggerating.  Break the nuts loose, pull the good tire up onto your board stack, change the tire, pull off the stack, and tighten the nuts.  Done.  I don't know of a better way to change a tire on a tandem.

Just stagger the ends of the boards to make a ramp.  Keep one more board than you think you will need to let you accommodate rough terrain or other issues. 

• Like 1