Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PCM/Crusader 6.0l 409 - What Octane?

ahopkins22LSV

PCM/Crusader 6.0l 409 - What Octane?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. 87 or 89 Octane?

ahopkins22LSV

For those of us who have or had the PCM/Crusader 6.0l 409, what octane did you/do you use? I ran 89 all last summer because that’s what I swear I read in the owners manual, although I just reread it and is specifically states that unless you have the supercharged engine, the engines are calibrated to run on 87 octane. No mention of 89 anywhere in the manual. Malibu’s 2019 owners manual defers to the PCM manual btw. It only takes about what to use in the Malibu monsoon engines. 

I’m questioning this as we just joined Costco and I was planning on getting all of the boat fuel there. They don’t carry 89 though. I know I could use an octane booster but if I don’t need to then why spend the money? So what does TMC say?

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

Not a mechanic, but if you were to run 87, which is lawn mower gas in my world wouldn’t the lack of octane cause the computer to pull timing and lose power? I questioned myself about the 89 vice 91/93 octane in my 350 and after not experiencing any perceived  performance or maintenance  issues, I just stuck with the 89. The owners manual says for the new M5 ideally 91/93, but that you can run the 89.

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, wdr said:

May not be the case, but I have found typos in both my ‘10 and the new ‘19 OM’s.

The online and and printed manual both say 87. And no the computer won’t pull timing if the engine is calibrated for it. But I just was surprised to read 87 so I figured I’d ask. 

I have run 87 octane in my PCM 409 for 3 years and never had an issue. I have 2 gas stations that I fill up at, one is 87 which is what I get 90% of the time and the other is 89 .Both are ethenol free tho PCM says ethenol is fine, I just don't like using ethenol fuel in my boats or any of my small engines like generators, mower, etc, if I have the option since if it sits without stabilizer, you have issues.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, skurfer said:

PCM response. The LSA engine has optimal performance on 93 octane. It is acceptable to use 91. Anything less than this will cause a lack of power and the engine will protect itself by retarding timing.

Hope this helps. We will get the website straight soon.

Did you ask about the 409 or 450 though? I don't think any of us were questioning the LSA. Appreciate you looking into it though.

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Did you ask about the 409 or 450 though? I don't think any of us were questioning the LSA. Appreciate you looking into it though.

right I mean that certainly contradicts the owner's manual for my 450 (admittedly not a "this year's" engine).

• Like 1

looking at the pcm website, my guess is that we are both right.  They don't list a 450 variant of the 6.0 anymore.  Just the ZR4 (which I think used to be the ZR6**) "409," which can definitely run regular gas.

**I wonder what caused the base 6.0 to lose two ZRs?

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

looking at the pcm website, my guess is that we are both right.  They don't list a 450 variant of the 6.0 anymore.  Just the ZR4 (which I think used to be the ZR6**) "409," which can definitely run regular gas.

**I wonder what caused the base 6.0 to lose two ZRs?

Two less ZRs must all 87 instead of 89 octane to be used. :shocked: I'm planning on going with 87 at this point. I mean I :rtfm: ... 

ahopkins22LSV

I under stand that but the pcm manual online is almost word for word identical. Only leaving out the 450. And my actual manual at home leaves out the 450 as well. Looks to be the same as the online pcm manual. 

195DF1FB-A14D-4B15-9C71-F6DAE97F1F65.thumb.png.136a5e43a24aa44807a8828d9402393c.png

2243E3D1-4E0F-4139-AEA9-D860A30AF19C.thumb.jpeg.53ff0b093d9ec265ec8ee40505fe8f4d.jpeg

D37276A9-55C3-40E8-BD39-0B383D6FF9B4.thumb.jpeg.af7339b85589aacc2bc9a62ea0c73217.jpeg

I’m sure it’s much the same with different branding. You never know though. I didn’t do a “diff” on it, but I think it’s worth noting that the there could be differences in the PCM vs Crusader. Just don’t want someone to get wrong info.

ahopkins22LSV
8 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I’m sure it’s much the same with different branding. You never know though. I didn’t do a “diff” on it, but I think it’s worth noting that the there could be differences in the PCM vs Crusader. Just don’t want someone to get wrong info.

I agree, that’s why I looked t up. From what I see it’s the same for the 409 and supercharged engines and it only differed from the PCM 6.2l H6 450 and the Crusader 6.0l 450. 

11 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

If you look at the crusader manual on the 2016s (which I'm familiar with because my boat is a 16), it looks like they down-spec'd some of the cooler pcm features on the 350 (specifically the belt driven water pump with the super easy to change impeller) vs the pcm ex343.