Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boom recommendations for 2001 Response LX?

waterskater

Gonna get the grandkids going this year!   Thot I would start with the boom.   Your experiences and equipment? 

Edited by waterskater

Barefoot International is the most common one, and they're pretty burly.  I run a Bemman boom, and I like them being a little simpler, lighter, and prefer the built in height adjuster on the clamp. Customer service is probably better with Barefoot International, though.

Either way, You'll probably want a contour boom to get behind the windshield, and an extension to get out of the spray on Bu's.  BI's boom handle can also be nice for kids/smaller hands.  Beyond that, keep a 5-foot or shorter handle/section around for the intermediate step between the boom and long-line.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, TomH said:

Barefoot International is the most common one, and they're pretty burly.  I run a Bemman boom, and I like them being a little simpler, lighter, and prefer the built in height adjuster on the clamp. Customer service is probably better with Barefoot International, though.

Either way, You'll probably want a contour boom to get behind the windshield, and an extension to get out of the spray on Bu's.  BI's boom handle can also be nice for kids/smaller hands.  Beyond that, keep a 5-foot or shorter handle/section around for the intermediate step between the boom and long-line.

I have the Bemman/ECI boom too and found it easier to adjust than the Barefoot International.  However, the ECI boom does not have an optional extension, and they don't make them.  So for that reason I'd recommend the BI boom.

12 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I have the Bemman/ECI boom too and found it easier to adjust than the Barefoot International.  However, the ECI boom does not have an optional extension, and they don't make them.  So for that reason I'd recommend the BI boom.

Bemman does have extensions (see bottom of this page  https://www.bemmanscustomdesign.com/barefoot-booms)  but it may require a little bit of adjustment to the boom angle, or a slightly longer cable which isn't so straight-forward on a swaged cable with no easy adjustment.

16 minutes ago, TomH said:

Bemman does have extensions (see bottom of this page  https://www.bemmanscustomdesign.com/barefoot-booms)  but it may require a little bit of adjustment to the boom angle, or a slightly longer cable which isn't so straight-forward on a swaged cable with no easy adjustment.

Thank you, I didn't know they did that!  That said...$236 for a 2' extension?!?  :shocked:

2 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Thank you, I didn't know they did that!  That said...$236 for a 2' extension?!?  :shocked:

Could be worse.... Could be $436.00 so look at it as saving $200.00. 

I'm not sure I could have used our boom on the my old RLXi without the extension due to boat spray.

Yep, I'm lucky that I don't need an extension on my boat.  Realistically, buying new, you'll be out similar money with either one (unless you go tower boom which puts you up even higher) when combining with an extension. 

I'm a craigslist dirtbag though, so I managed to get mine in mint used shape for ~$150.  While they don't get listed individually too often, I look for folks selling boats that list a boom as an inclusion, and buy it off them before they get the boat sold.  I've found a few this way, and is how several of my friends have gotten theirs on the cheaper end.

56 minutes ago, TomH said:

Yep, I'm lucky that I don't need an extension on my boat.  Realistically, buying new, you'll be out similar money with either one (unless you go tower boom which puts you up even higher) when combining with an extension. 

I'm a craigslist dirtbag though, so I managed to get mine in mint used shape for ~$150.  While they don't get listed individually too often, I look for folks selling boats that list a boom as an inclusion, and buy it off them before they get the boat sold.  I've found a few this way, and is how several of my friends have gotten theirs on the cheaper end.

Me too, I got mine off this site from a member actually, around $200 with a carrying bag.

I can tumble up no problem at 40ish on the short line without spray, but when teaching people to short line at a slower speed there is definitely a spray to fight with.  Straight off the boom it's not an issue at all.