Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Advice 19' 23 LSV

DDSurfer

Hey guys, looking for input from anyone who has a 2019 for which prop to go with on the new order. I am at the last chance for edits stage and currently have the "Standard" 2249 selected. 

We are at sea level (Seattle/Eastern WA), 450 PCM upgrade, would be running the PNP 550's on top of MLS with an average crew size of 8-12 adults. 

I am thinking due to the engine upgrade we may not need as aggressive of a prop, my dad (maybe mom) will want to waterski a handful of times throughout the year, so need enough top end to pull a Pro-Am level (220lb) skier at 32-34MPH. (you should see the wall of spray he puts out, lol). 

I am not the guy planning to run alot of wedge, personally hate the super tall short waves, and this is gonna be such a massive improvement over our 05 sunsetter that I can't see myself needing a ton of extra push regardless. 

Thanks in advance for your input, much appreciated.

2 minutes ago, DDSurfer said:

Hey guys, looking for input from anyone who has a 2019 for which prop to go with on the new order. I am at the last chance for edits stage and currently have the "Standard" 2249 selected. 

We are at sea level (Seattle/Eastern WA), 450 PCM upgrade, would be running the PNP 550's on top of MLS with an average crew size of 8-12 adults. 

I am thinking due to the engine upgrade we may not need as aggressive of a prop, my dad (maybe mom) will want to waterski a handful of times throughout the year, so need enough top end to pull a Pro-Am level (220lb) skier at 32-34MPH. (you should see the wall of spray he puts out, lol). 

I am not the guy planning to run alot of wedge, personally hate the super tall short waves, and this is gonna be such a massive improvement over our 05 sunsetter that I can't see myself needing a ton of extra push regardless. 

Any reason you are not going with the Malibu M6DI? It should be available in the 23LSV now.

Whichever you go with I think the standard prop will work for you with that setup. Might want to go with the torque prop if you plan to upgrade ballast later.

Long story short on the engine selection, I used to work for the guy's at Bakes and NW inboards as my summer job in College (2016) and they were awesome in providing advice throughout the buying process since they work on Malibus/Axis(es?) a lot. I will elaborate later on after delivery about my (so far) excellent experience with Seattle Boat as well.

I initially was skeptical of the Malibu engines since it's the first year of production and my first purchase north of 4 figures in life, so highly risk averse in that regard. They said the PCM's are pretty close to bulletproof as far as water proven at this point, and the direct injected engines are next to impossible to do routine maintenance on yourself. Malibu is actually restricting service on those new engines to dealers only currently, something about pressure in the fuel lines (don't quote me on that, not an expert) being absurdly high to the point where it's dangerous to work on if you're not a Malibu trained tech. It just sounded like paying more for a potential headache down the line, so went with the tried and true. Also couldn't wrap my head around a 5.3L block being the standard in a boat that weighs 5000lbs dry, I know the old 5.7L 350 in my friend's VLX was the Achilles heel of his boat. Fuel efficiency does not matter at all in my view, it's a toy after all, not like its a daily driver. 

17 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Any reason you are not going with the Malibu M6DI? It should be available in the 23LSV now.

Whichever you go with I think the standard prop will work for you with that setup. Might want to go with the torque prop if you plan to upgrade ballast later.

$8k seems like a reason 😏

to the OP... guessing you went with the M5? We just finalized our order with Seattle Boat and went with the M5, I think it is going to be perfect for our lakes and Eastern Wa. I previously had the Monsoon 340 and never needed more power.

I heard there was a surplus of PCM450's and you could get a pretty good deal on those .. my dealer offered it at a pretty good price - way less than $8k.

Thanks for your advice guys, very valuable. I ended up going with the PCM 450HO, I bet the M5DI will be great for our elevation but for me I didn't want to have any questions about that. 

14 minutes ago, DDSurfer said:

@pauley71  you are correct about that, I got mine at cost from Malibu since they ran out of 409s. with the M5 being a $2500 "upgrade" made that choice much easier. 

I guess that would explain why my dealer and Malibu were pushing me so hard to go with the M5. 😳

11 hours ago, DDSurfer said:

Not quite the same engine,  but I have a 2018 with the 450 raptor and 2249 prop.  I’ll say the prop is more then enough for these boats.  In the summer I was able to run in Lake Tahoe with 12-13 people, full ballast and 550s in the rear.  Took a little to get going with that much weight, but the boat handed it.  75% of my boating is near sea level, so because of that I decided to purchase a 2277 this year.  I haven’t  tested it yet, but from what I hear, it’s the perfect prop for these boats.

With the 2249, full MLS and 550s, I’m typically right around 3500-3600 rpms while surfing.  My typical crew is just wife and two pre teen daughters.  The 2249 is just a little too much prop in my opinion. 

Im hoping the 2277 brings the rpms down around 3200-3300 while surfing.  

Edited by SCMike
  • Like 2

Hey guys, have the 18 23lsv, 450hp and instead of buying a second boat (response) to get some slalom in, wondering if I can prop it to run in the mid 40's (or more) and still surf with 6 people, MLB abd 750 PNP.   We are contemplating putting a boom on it to  get some footing in  if possible. Went to the 2277 and worked great all around, but not to excited on running wot for some footing fun, not sure what the next prop would be

8 hours ago, Redblack2014lsv said:

Hey guys, have the 18 23lsv, 450hp and instead of buying a second boat (response) to get some slalom in, wondering if I can prop it to run in the mid 40's (or more) and still surf with 6 people, MLB abd 750 PNP.   We are contemplating putting a boom on it to  get some footing in  if possible. Went to the 2277 and worked great all around, but not to excited on running wot for some footing fun, not sure what the next prop would be

What’s your top speed with the 450 and that prop?

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:12 AM, SCMike said:

Not quite the same engine,  but I have a 2018 with the 450 raptor and 2249 prop.  I’ll say the prop is more then enough for these boats.  In the summer I was able to run in Lake Tahoe with 12-13 people, full ballast and 550s in the rear.  Took a little to get going with that much weight, but the boat handed it.  75% of my boating is near sea level, so because of that I decided to purchase a 2277 this year.  I haven’t  tested it yet, but from what I hear, it’s the perfect prop for these boats.

With the 2249, full MLS and 550s, I’m typically right around 3500-3600 rpms while surfing.  My typical crew is just wife and two pre teen daughters.  The 2249 is just a little too much prop in my opinion. 

Im hoping the 2277 brings the rpms down around 3200-3300 while surfing.  

following  for loaded 2277 results

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:12 AM, SCMike said:

I've talked to Acme directly and they think that 2249 is a great prop for the new M5 engine.  That's the setup I have but we just took delivery Friday.  Hopefully we will have some additional real world experience to share in the next few weeks.  I'm not hearing anything about lack of self-maintenance on these engines.  You won't even have an option in 2020...you'll be in a Malibu engine if you want to buy a Malibu boat.  And there are plenty of people that are going to be doing their own maintenance.  Sounds like a dealer wanting your maintenance dollars.  :-)  We ran through the engine Friday night with the dealer, and everything seemed much easier to get to and work on (filters, impeller, plugs) than my old Monsoon 340.

According to the OM, about the only filter that you can't change is the fuel filter, which supposedly requires a special tool. It didn't look like a special tool would be required, but it will be a relatively cheap check or replace given its easy access on the starboard side of the block so I won't even bother to look into a DIY.

Currently, I am using my 25 LSV at around 400 ft elevation. But this summer I will be bringing my boat up to Lake Tahoe and leaving it up there. The elevation up there is 6,225 ft. What prop do you recommend for high altitude surfing and wakeboarding? I'm looking into the ACME 2247. Any advice?

Edited by CaptainCrunch10
On 3/1/2019 at 10:46 AM, DDSurfer said:

I have that same PCM motor (the 6.0 "ZR450" in PCM-speak, right?) in a T22.  I mostly operate at 4000'.  I run the 2279.  2249 is a backup but it sucks for cruising -- 4000 rpms is like 26 mph, whereas I can do about 27 at 3800 rpms with the 2279.  2277 is even taller and would probably work great at sea-level-ish.

5 hours ago, CaptainCrunch10 said:

Currently, I am using my 25 LSV at around 400 ft elevation. But this summer I will be bringing my boat up to Lake Tahoe and leaving it up there. The elevation up there is 6,225 ft. What prop do you recommend for high altitude surfing and wakeboarding? I'm looking into the ACME 2247. Any advice?

2247 or 2249 would be where I'd start at tahoe.  You definitely won't push the same weight as at sea level (unless you've got the supercharged motor?).

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

2247 or 2249 would be where I'd start at tahoe.  You definitely won't push the same weight as at sea level (unless you've got the supercharged motor?).

From his profile, it looks like he has a 2018 25lsv, which has the 17 inch prop.  The props above are both 15 inch. With that said, I don’t know what props work well on the 25lsv with the 17inch prop, I’m sure others can chime in.  @CaptainCrunch10, it will help if you give the crew a little more info.

What Motor?

What is your ballast set up?

What sports? Surf, wakeboard, tube, etc. 

1 hour ago, SCMike said:

From his profile, it looks like he has a 2018 25lsv, which has the 17 inch prop.  The props above are both 15 inch. With that said, I don’t know what props work well on the 25lsv with the 17inch prop, I’m sure others can chime in.  @CaptainCrunch10, it will help if you give the crew a little more info.

What Motor?

ahh you are right if it's 2:1.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

@Stevo any advice on what prop you are running on your 2018 25LSV? Looks like you guys are at the same elevation and I’d guess similar setups. 

I’m running the 3077 on my 17’ 25lsv with the 450. It’s been plenty of power at my local lakes <1000ft, as well as 6000ft up at Tahoe/donner lake

6B2B29EE-24E7-4E9F-9397-3CFA34324107.jpeg

17 hours ago, SCMike said:

What Motor?

My bad for the lack of information. It is a 2018 25 LSV with the 450 motor. Use it for mainly surfing and wakeboarding. I will be running stock ballast with 550 plug and plays once I get through the break in hours. 

Edited by CaptainCrunch10