Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Malibu M6di motor

kayt425

You should try an 18” prop.  I put the 3311 from Acme 18 x 14 on my 2018 25 LSV raptor 440, full gas, 550 pnp’s in rear, 1k sac center floor, 4 - 5 people, wedge 2-3 from lift, speed 11.2, and it surfs 3200 - 3400 on port and 2900 - 3100 starboard.   Have run as high as 11.6 with very little change to rpms.

Top speed dropped from 38.3 to 34.5.  Cruise 3500 rpms speed is 22.4. Prop has almost 1.125” of clearance from hull so no prop burn issues.

Had the 3077 and sometimes it wouldn’t get past 10.6 running 4000 rpms.  

Currently haven’t found a limit with the Acme 3311.   Also tried the 3393 but rpms barely changed from the 3077 and top speed went down to 36.3.

On 8/16/2019 at 1:56 PM, store934 said:

I have the Raptor 440 in my 2018 25 and had been running the 3077 (17" x 15.5).  

I had the  2805 (17" x 17) as my spare and just put it on.  It gave me a little better cruising speed and still surfs fully loaded and will still plane easy fully loaded with lift (have not tried other wedge positions since we don’t wakeboard). I would assume the M6 would be close to the same. 

Here is what I am seeing with the 2805 and full pnp, three in the boat at 2200’ elevation.

No picture but 4K RPMs is 30 mph with full tank of gas and light crew.

The 3077 is a great prop but it is now going to be my spare / high elevation prop.  I am sticking with the 2805.

EFD7E909-847F-4B9A-8E4F-085B6C12BBBF.jpeg

39C908D7-939E-4655-88E5-24F9125F9AD6.jpeg

CD398A8D-6B66-4F0A-8A43-8D4E8237B68E.jpeg

I’ve been very pleased with the 2805 on my 2019 25 lsv. It’s done everything I’ve asked of it. It does create a howl between speeds of 25 and 30 which is a bit irritating. 

I had a 2014 23 lsv with the 450 corvette Marine Power.. nice motor never had a few issues with it nothing major. Bought a new 2019 23 LSV with the M6, really like how quite it is and like where everything is placed on the motor very easy to service. Supper quite. Seems to be tacking around 3500 with full blast and 1000 sumos in the rear, they are not filled all the way but pretty close, full tank of gas running around 10.5 MPH. I took out the back wood and carpet that covered up the tsunami pumps and put longer hoses on the tank to the bag. Works awesome. the 580's IMO were lacking. This boats loves weight, usually have a kid or soaking wet tub deflated up in the bow.... Running the 2401 prop getting 43 mph,, I may go to a 2277 just to get that little quicker out of the hole. Running the diamond Hull had a wake hull on my 2014... This diamond seems to handle going through wakes or waves way better than my old boat. Really satisfied with the new boat and motor combo..

On 4/3/2019 at 2:55 PM, chantel said:

The M6 was quieter than the PCM. Hard to tell in the video, but there is a difference. Power wise, they did feel similar. If it were me, I wouldn’t put the high altitude prop on the M6 at 2,500 feet. I think you’ll be stoked with the 2277. What elevation are you?

We haven’t gotten any M5s yet, so I can’t say for sure on that. 

A big bonus on the M6 is how easy it will be to work on. Closed cooling is standard, sea strainer is standard, both of which were upgrades on the PCM. It’s also SUPER easy to winterize. Convenience alone makes it worth the up charge! 

when you say super easy to winterize can you elaborate? I am curious if this is a 20 min procedure and you can do it on a boat lift?  i would love to be able to use my boat when the days are nice during the winter.

To winterize the M5/6, per the OM, Malibu says to remove the T handle plug, the transom plug and the 4 blue plugs. One below the shaft coupler, 1 per vicinity of cylinder banks and the one near the heat exchanger. I will be pulling my strainer as well and maybe the elbow below the exchanger to see if I can vacuum out any crud. You could probably do all of that by removing the warming tray, but pulling the rear panels will allow easier access.

Edited by wdr
sp

1 hour ago, smuurph84 said:

when you say super easy to winterize can you elaborate? I am curious if this is a 20 min procedure and you can do it on a boat lift?  i would love to be able to use my boat when the days are nice during the winter.

1 hour ago, wdr said:

To winterize the M5/6, per the OM, Malibu says to remove the T handle plug, the transom plug and the 4 blue plugs. One below the shaft coupler, 1 per vicinity of cylinder banks and the one near the heat exchanger. I will be pulling my strainer as well and maybe the elbow below the exchanger to see if I can vacuum out any crud. You could probably do all of that by removing the warming tray, but pulling the rear panels will allow easier access.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

man that does look really simple! couldn't take more than 15-20 min after a few times!  year round boating here i come!

thanks for the post. this new feature alone make me excited for an upgrade! ( i have 1 more year on the warrantee....  seems like it is going to take forever!)lol

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

Voltage reading below 15 unlike the 2019s.  Interesting to see that.  

My 2019 23LSV M6 has always shown ~14.2v. April build. I think earlier M6s were showing 15+v (the earlier 25lsvs) but in later 19 builds they seem to have 'addressed the issue' if you want to call it an issue.

6 hours ago, gregtay said:

My 2019 23LSV M6 has always shown ~14.2v. April build. I think earlier M6s were showing 15+v (the earlier 25lsvs) but in later 19 builds they seem to have 'addressed the issue' if you want to call it an issue.

True.  I am not calling it an issue (zero problems with mine thus far), just an observation from earlier.  And looking at other screenshots it does look lower on later builds.  

On 9/3/2019 at 7:00 AM, hethj7 said:

True.  I am not calling it an issue (zero problems with mine thus far), just an observation from earlier.  And looking at other screenshots it does look lower on later builds.  

My issue is the blower  gets LOUD .. haha  but that's b/c I start the boat before the blower is finished and typically turn it off b/c it gets louder.

• 4 weeks later...

Found this on page 110 of 2019 Owners Manual.    Looks like Velvet drive transmissions and V drive.  

Manual Pg 110 - Malibu Monsoon Engines are equipped with Velvet Drive transmissions.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:07 AM, gwozhog said:

Who makes the Vdrive  for the 2019 M6 engines? What does malibu officially call it? I cant find any info about it.

• 1 year later...

To answer the question about what the 2020 manual will say about the use of 87 octane in a 2020 w/ an M5Di here is an insert that came in the owners manual.

https://ibb.co/VDzPjwf

Sorry - couldn't figure out how to insert this into the post...

"Whenever Possible, use 93 octane gasoline!  Admittedly , there are locations where only lower grade fuel is available, but to ensure long-term, high performance, the use of 93 octane is strongly recommended.  In such instances where the highest-grade gas is not available, boaters may use 87, 89, 91 octane fuel in M-Series engines, but no lower grade.  In the LT-4 engine, do not use lower than 91 octane."

I'll use 91 because that's what is mostly available but I do find it confusing when a selling point of the M5/M6 is that "it was designed to work with Regular 87"

12 hours ago, ThrashMetash said:

To answer the question about what the 2020 manual will say about the use of 87 octane in a 2020 w/ an M5Di here is an insert that came in the owners manual.

https://ibb.co/VDzPjwf

Sorry - couldn't figure out how to insert this into the post...

"Whenever Possible, use 93 octane gasoline!  Admittedly , there are locations where only lower grade fuel is available, but to ensure long-term, high performance, the use of 93 octane is strongly recommended.  In such instances where the highest-grade gas is not available, boaters may use 87, 89, 91 octane fuel in M-Series engines, but no lower grade.  In the LT-4 engine, do not use lower than 91 octane."

I'll use 91 because that's what is mostly available but I do find it confusing when a selling point of the M5/M6 is that "it was designed to work with Regular 87"

The recommendation is because while it will run on 87 octane, it will pull timing to compensate for the lower octane so you will have less power.

I can say after 110 hours on my 2020 23 MXZ with the M6, I have gotten this code. It will stay active and not go to inactive.  Then I have to take it to the dealer and have them clear the code. I am told it is a fuel issue, I have told them it has always been ran on super on non-ethanol super.  But the only time the fault code comes on is when its at 1/4 tank of fuel or below. Once its on it will not go above 3k RPM's until I fill the gas tank completely full. Once I fill the tank up, the code is still there, but the engine will operate like normal. They have no answer for me, except to tell me it is an engine update. It is the end of the season, but I have dealt with this code since day one and when the boat had 1 hour on it. Code is a knock retard at limit code. 

IMG_6573.jpeg

Edited by dwc032

That code would normally indicate bad or low octane gas.  So I certainly understand where the dealer is coming from. The motor is trying to retard timing and you have hit the limit on how far the motor can go... so you get an error as the motor is protecting itself. My guess is that you have a contaminated gas tank or something like that. I'd say water, but water should sink to the bottom of the tank so fuel level wouldn't matter since it would get picked up before fuel.  If you have something that is floating above the fuel and when you get low you start sucking up something other than the good fuel. Just my guess. If started by draining the tank and starting with fresh fuel to eliminate "contaminated fuel" in the tank. Since you only have the issue when the tank is low it seems like the tank is going to be involved, either what is in the tank or tank plumbing. Doesn't sound like a motor issue.

2 hours ago, dwc032 said:

I can say after 110 hours on my 2020 23 MXZ with the M6, I have gotten this code. It will stay active and not go to inactive.  Then I have to take it to the dealer and have them clear the code. I am told it is a fuel issue, I have told them it has always been ran on super on non-ethanol super.  But the only time the fault code comes on is when its at 1/4 tank of fuel or below. Once its on it will not go above 3k RPM's until I fill the gas tank completely full. Once I fill the tank up, the code is still there, but the engine will operate like normal. They have no answer for me, except to tell me it is an engine update. It is the end of the season, but I have dealt with this code since day one and when the boat had 1 hour on it. Code is a knock retard at limit code. 

IMG_6573.jpeg

Be interested to see what your fuel pressure is doing at or below 1/4 tank and when the code comes on. My best guess is that fuel pressure is dropping for some reason. We have occasionally seen pinched fuel tank vent line going to EPA charcoal canister or water getting into that vent line causing issues like you are having.