Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Malibu M6di motor

kayt425

On 6/4/2019 at 9:34 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

There is actually a lot of space around the engine with the pcm/crusader 6.0 410. Way more than the raptor. And there just isn’t enough cockpick seating space for the wakevoee seating flip up seats regardless. Unless you are five years old you’d be sitting with your knees in your forehead. Even on the 22 you are bent knees if you are 6’. 

Im surprised the M5 isn’t offered in it either. It’s in the response so I can’t imagine it won’t fit in the vtx. 

By flip-up I meant the transom seating. Bad wording. 

IIRC under those seats is just a panel instead of the actual buckets for storage. 
Not sure why I worded it how I did. Whoops

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, SkiSam said:

By flip-up I meant the transom seating. Bad wording. 

IIRC under those seats is just a panel instead of the actual buckets for storage. 
Not sure why I worded it how I did. Whoops

The storage buckets are an option. We have them on our 2019. I’ll get a picture tomorrow. 

• 4 weeks later...

We have a 2019 25 lsv with the M6Di engine and it far from fuel efficient. I need to put in about 60 gallons after just three sessions on the water and we usually start and stay within a few hundred yards of the marina. I am not unhappy though because it can carry a ton of weight and never struggles, plus it is quiet and reliable. I am very pleased with this engine, but I just cringe a little when I am putting in $250 or more each week during the summer.   

23 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

We have a 2019 25 lsv with the M6Di engine and it far from fuel efficient. I need to put in about 60 gallons after just three sessions on the water and we usually start and stay within a few hundred yards of the marina. I am not unhappy though because it can carry a ton of weight and never struggles, plus it is quiet and reliable. I am very pleased with this engine, but I just cringe a little when I am putting in $250 or more each week during the summer.   

So, basically a full day with each getting 3 rides ?

Steve B. 

You are probly getting pretty good fuel "mileage". That is a big boat. Especially for surfing.  20 gallons in a session( 4 or 5 hr 'day' with swim breaks?)??

Edited by carguy79ta
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

You are probly getting pretty good fuel "mileage". That is a big boat. Especially for surfing.  20 gallons in a session( 4 or 5 hr 'day' with swim breaks?)??

Yes, exactly!

I need to find someone friendly in NorCal and I can bring a fuel flow gauge to the conversation so we can all have data on the GPH for an M6DI and M5DI. You can wait until you fill up to calculate GPH, or get live data from a display:
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110/?tab=comments#comment-887

Maybe I can convince my local dealer to let me capture some data from a demo boat. BTW: during a fillup today, another family boat was within .02 (two hundredths!) of a gallon accurate using the ScanGauge while the Malibu dash said there was 0% fuel remaining.

9 hours ago, mikeo said:

I need to find someone friendly in NorCal and I can bring a fuel flow gauge to the conversation so we can all have data on the GPH for an M6DI and M5DI. You can wait until you fill up to calculate GPH, or get live data from a display:
https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110/?tab=comments#comment-887

Maybe I can convince my local dealer to let me capture some data from a demo boat. BTW: during a fillup today, another family boat was within .02 (two hundredths!) of a gallon accurate using the ScanGauge while the Malibu dash said there was 0% fuel remaining.

I’m in Chico. You are welcome to come up and use my boat for data and surf. 

On 7/5/2019 at 11:42 PM, mikeo said:

I am in Stockton. Specifically Paradise Point. I make my way to B&W every now and then. I am game. And I am very pleased with fuel consumption. I am coming from an 07 21 LSV. My fuel consumption is about the same if not less than that 07 that was a much smaller boat. Last weekend I surfed and wakeboarded heavy. 93.8 hrs to 102.4. Hours. So 9.6 hrs and 44.9 gallons of fuel. 4.677 gallons per hour.😁😁. And I am comfortable this is the norm.

• 3 weeks later...

23LSV w/ M6 in surf config (everything + PnP at 100%) turns around 3400 rpm with the 2277z I’m very happy with the combo. Plenty of power in reserve. 

FEACF5F3-5B75-4467-B700-E6F8609ABD66.thumb.jpeg.7a482eaeee2d962882bde4a7aa77983b.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gregtay said:

23LSV w/ M6 in surf config (everything + PnP at 100%) turns around 3400 rpm with the 2277z I’m very happy with the combo. Plenty of power in reserve. 

FEACF5F3-5B75-4467-B700-E6F8609ABD66.thumb.jpeg.7a482eaeee2d962882bde4a7aa77983b.jpeg

What is you speed at 4000rpm - no ballast no wedge?

18 hours ago, greg2222 said:

What is you speed at 4000rpm - no ballast no wedge?

This is with 8 people, full fuel, Bimini deployed with 4 surfboard on the racks... so could be a little faster if it was clean and fewer people.

80ACCA95-2301-4A65-BB0A-8C88D39218B9.thumb.jpeg.06dff2fbe51501b279a25ecc29bd7b5a.jpeg

So it’s very good result, I have 24mxz with PCM 450 and 17x17 prop and very happy now with the prop and boat performance. At 4000rpm I have 33mph with 6 people on the board and full fuel tank but full ballast and PNP I’m getting 28mph + at 4000rpm . Surfing all full at 3300rpm.

the reason I’m asking because I’m looking for best prop set up for the boat. I did check 17x14.,17x19.5 ,17x15,5 . So far only one work for me is 17x17. I’m surprised that 23 foot boat with 15” prop doing that good.

5ED1AC31-5328-4E3C-8364-A631BEBBF3B6.jpeg

Does a 17” prop make that much of a difference?  That seems like great results for a 24’ boat. If there any negative to a 17” prop (or than needing a more aggressive shaft angle and more clearance on the trailer?

19 m235  M6Di .    17x17 prop .  3600rpm surf @11mph with full ballast and 6 people.    top speed 42mph .  Very quiet and fuel efficient .   prop acme 2805 .   at sea level 

6 hours ago, gregtay said:

Does a 17” prop make that much of a difference?  That seems like great results for a 24’ boat. If there any negative to a 17” prop (or than needing a more aggressive shaft angle and more clearance on the trailer?

Yeah, it makes a big difference.

You’re turning 3400 rpm surfing, which sounds good until you consider that fact that you’re wedge is set at “ramp” the least aggressive setting. 

With the 17” prop we’re turning the same 3400 rpm but with a much more aggressive wedge setting (and a significantly more aggressive tranny ratio and heavier boat too). 

Engine RPM is much more a function of gearing (prop and tranny ratio) than the motor that’s doing the work  

9BAE00F9-5F27-4912-92B1-A44EEDD707EE.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

You’re turning 3400 rpm surfing, which sounds good until you consider that fact that you’re wedge is set at “ramp” the least aggressive setting. 

With the 17” prop we’re turning the same 3400 rpm but with a much more aggressive wedge setting (and a significantly more aggressive tranny ratio and heavier boat too). 

Engine RPM is much more a function of gearing (prop and tranny ratio) than the motor that’s doing the work  

I’m running Ramp because I didn’t have any additional bow weight and this setup gives me the long wave I want... my prop has nothing to do with my wedge position.  I can put in more wedge clicks but I get too much bow raise. The set up I have gives me the wave I want when just two people on the boat and no addition lead. My boat is not limited by the motor/prop, I can run full wedge with same additional peeps on the bow and up front or with a few lead bags. This combo planes out and moves along with full ballast.

i am glad to see the 23 move to the 17” prop this year, it would like a lot of positives. But my question is are you giving anything up? (If not, why doesn’t every boat come with a 17”?)

5 hours ago, gregtay said:

I’m running Ramp because I didn’t have any additional bow weight and this setup gives me the long wave I want... my prop has nothing to do with my wedge position.  I can put in more wedge clicks but I get too much bow raise. The set up I have gives me the wave I want when just two people on the boat and no addition lead. My boat is not limited by the motor/prop, I can run full wedge with same additional peeps on the bow and up front or with a few lead bags. This combo planes out and moves along with full ballast.

i am glad to see the 23 move to the 17” prop this year, it would like a lot of positives. But my question is are you giving anything up? (If not, why doesn’t every boat come with a 17”?)

Whoa, wait a minute... to get more length I need less wedge?  Thank you, Captain Obvious!! :Tease3:

Jokes aside... I think you misunderstood my post (or decided to read past the point and make it about your wave). I wasn’t criticizing your wedge position, simply stating it’s the main reason you’re only turning 3400 with a 15” prop. Move it up 3-4 clicks and see what happens to your RPM  

You asked if 17” prop makes a difference. That’s the question I was addressing, and the answer is YES as my pic proves. You can run MORE weight and MORE wedge with a MORE aggressive 2:1 transmission and still only see 3400 on the tach. 

Bottom line, 17” prop means less prop slip (ie prop grabs more water with each turn) which means the engine doesn’t have to work as hard to achieve the same speed which means less $ at the pump (all else equal)  

You watch... 2020 23 LSV will run lower RPM than your boat. Doesn’t mean you should upgrade or feel bad about it. It’s just math. 

What are the downsides to a 17” prop..?? Just money. The running gear costs more to manufacture which is one of the reasons the bigger boats jump so much in price. Go price 15” vs 17” props... then apply that premium to the shaft, strut, vdrive, transmission, etc. 

Why not put 17” props on all boats?  That’s like asking why don’t ALL trucks need an a Allison transmission. Answer is simple... Because it’s not necessary to achieve desired performance thus would be a waste of money. But make no mistake, the physics are the same... a 21 VLX would have lower RPM with a 17 than a 15. The reason it’s not on there is because it would blow that boat’s price out of the water, and the boat demonstrates acceptable performance without it. Plus a 17” would probably cause noticeable pitch on a boat that light. 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Whoa, wait a minute... to get more length I need less wedge?  Thank you, Captain Obvious!! :Tease3:

Jokes aside... I think you misunderstood my post (or decided to read past the point and make it about your wave). I wasn’t criticizing your wedge position, simply stating it’s the main reason you’re only turning 3400 with a 15” prop. Move it up 3-4 clicks and see what happens to your RPM  

You asked if 17” prop makes a difference. That’s the question I was addressing, and the answer is YES as my pic proves. You can run MORE weight and MORE wedge with a MORE aggressive 2:1 transmission and still only see 3400 on the tach. 

Bottom line, 17” prop means less prop slip (ie prop grabs more water with each turn) which means the engine doesn’t have to work as hard to achieve the same speed which means less $ at the pump (all else equal)  

You watch... 2020 23 LSV will run lower RPM than your boat. Doesn’t mean you should upgrade or feel bad about it. It’s just math. 

What are the downsides to a 17” prop..?? Just money. The running gear costs more to manufacture which is one of the reasons the bigger boats jump so much in price. Go price 15” vs 17” props... then apply that premium to the shaft, strut, vdrive, transmission, etc. 

Why not put 17” props on all boats?  That’s like asking why don’t ALL trucks need an a Allison transmission. Answer is simple... Because it’s not necessary to achieve desired performance thus would be a waste of money. But make no mistake, the physics are the same... a 21 VLX would have lower RPM with a 17 than a 15. The reason it’s not on there is because it would blow that boat’s price out of the water, and the boat demonstrates acceptable performance without it. Plus a 17” would probably cause noticeable pitch on a boat that light. 

Got it, thx for the edu. Makes sense. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 8:13 AM, IXFE said:

Which prop are you running, and this is on a 25 lsv with the M6 correct?

3 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Which prop are you running, and this is on a 25 lsv with the M6 correct?

I have the Raptor 440 in my 2018 25 and had been running the 3077 (17" x 15.5).  

I had the  2805 (17" x 17) as my spare and just put it on.  It gave me a little better cruising speed and still surfs fully loaded and will still plane easy fully loaded with lift (have not tried other wedge positions since we don’t wakeboard). I would assume the M6 would be close to the same. 

Here is what I am seeing with the 2805 and full pnp, three in the boat at 2200’ elevation.

No picture but 4K RPMs is 30 mph with full tank of gas and light crew.

The 3077 is a great prop but it is now going to be my spare / high elevation prop.  I am sticking with the 2805.

EFD7E909-847F-4B9A-8E4F-085B6C12BBBF.jpeg

39C908D7-939E-4655-88E5-24F9125F9AD6.jpeg

CD398A8D-6B66-4F0A-8A43-8D4E8237B68E.jpeg

Edited by store934