Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Malibu M6di motor

kayt425

3 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I don't have pictures.  When I was crawling around on the 25 at the show the dealer rep told me about it.  There is a lever/release underneath the top rail of that panel behind your wakeview bench.  It is right around where the pylon is.  Cup your hand underneath that rail is where it should be.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is an option.  In my opinion it would be a good option and nice to incorporate on other models in the future.

You also have to pull the wakeview bench out of the way to be able to get better access to the engine once it is removed.

With the Wakeview seat, it most definetly does come out. Pull the Wakeview seat forward and the entire area under and behind the seat can be removed. I am not sure how it is done if Wakeview seat is not checked. There is also an access under the Wakeview seat like the one for the front drain plug. I think to access the v drive and trans.

• 1 month later...

Some initial numbers on my 23LSV M6di (just lightly loaded cruising numbers), slightly choppy water

Prop 2277

20MPH    3200 rpm

25MPH     3500 rpm

Topspeed is ~43-44 MPH

Hopefully I will have a chance to get some surf and wakeboard numbers this week.

15 hours ago, gregtay said:

Some initial numbers on my 23LSV M6di (just lightly loaded cruising numbers), slightly choppy water

Prop 2277

20MPH    3200 rpm

25MPH     3500 rpm

Topspeed is ~43-44 MPH

Hopefully I will have a chance to get some surf and wakeboard numbers this week.

Interesting to see. Would be cool if someone else pulled numbers for the old motor for comparison (too lazy to do myself :p ) 

4 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

Interesting to see. Would be cool if someone else pulled numbers for the old motor for comparison (too lazy to do myself :p ) 

Thinking about this more shouldn’t they be equal rpms (at least at cruise, not surfing)with the same prop as long as the prop isn’t slipping? The advantage would be using a different prop (not sure what people ran in the old motors.

38 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Thinking about this more shouldn’t they be equal rpms (at least at cruise, not surfing)with the same prop as long as the prop isn’t slipping? The advantage would be using a different prop (not sure what people ran in the old motors.

Theoretically I think you are right, so long as it has the same transmission ratio.  However, I think that there are too many variables in real world applications to get the same rpms.  It would probably be close though... I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

4 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Theoretically I think you are right, so long as it has the same transmission ratio.  However, I think that there are too many variables in real world applications to get the same rpms.  It would probably be close though... I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

Interestingly, I'm seeing 300-400 lower RPMs this year in similar surf configurations between my 2018 w/ 410 and 2277 prop, and 2019 w/ PCM 409 and same prop. The only real difference in setup is I'm running an extra 600-700 lbs of ballast in the 2019 now, with 580 PNPs and 300 lbs of lead. Last year I ran the rears w/ 475 PNPs at ~75% full, and no bow/walkway weight.

The PW3 settings are different than PW2 but I'm using more clicks of wedge (from Lift) than last year so the overall wedge impact is relatively comparable YOY.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, wdr said:

Maybe the 2:1 trans ration on the M6. Not sure what it is on the PCM or the Raptors. 1.76:1 on my M5.

It's 1.76:1 for both the 410 and 409 on the 23 LSV too. I don't know about the M6 trans ratio on the 23 LSV either.

45 minutes ago, NWBU said:

It's 1.76:1 for both the 410 and 409 on the 23 LSV too. I don't know about the M6 trans ratio on the 23 LSV either.

I believe it is 1.76:1 but I will try to verify.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Believe if you order a TXi in Oz it comes with the M5 already for 2019.  Hoping they bring those engines to the US boats for 2020.

Thanks.

We have been told in Oz the M5 / 6 motor does not fit in the VTX. I find this hard to believe.

1 hour ago, AussieSkier said:

Thanks.

We have been told in Oz the M5 / 6 motor does not fit in the VTX. I find this hard to believe.

1 hour ago, AussieSkier said:

Thanks.

Maybe... I know the M6 looks like a tight fit in a 23LSV

522D866B-BDA8-44F9-98C4-701AC65D5D13.thumb.jpeg.8a2e65d7c8be1e20f63e07e8e95bbe9c.jpeg

Doesn't look like it for the VTX. 410 or 450 only according to the Malibu spec and what's on Boatsales (the red one at Melbourne Malibu has a 450). The Ford block and/or something else must be shorter.

They already have to pack the 410/450 in pretty tight for 2018/19 VTXs, that's why they don't have rear flip-up seats like the 23/25 do.

19 hours ago, AussieSkier said:

Thanks.

That seems like a bit of a whiff if they can't fit the M5 into such a popular model with current packaging.  That motor in a VTX would be a sweet crossover combo by shedding a bunch of stern weight.

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, SkiSam said:

They already have to pack the 410/450 in pretty tight for 2018/19 VTXs, that's why they don't have rear flip-up seats like the 23/25 do.

There is actually a lot of space around the engine with the pcm/crusader 6.0 410. Way more than the raptor. And there just isn’t enough cockpick seating space for the wakevoee seating flip up seats regardless. Unless you are five years old you’d be sitting with your knees in your forehead. Even on the 22 you are bent knees if you are 6’. 

Im surprised the M5 isn’t offered in it either. It’s in the response so I can’t imagine it won’t fit in the vtx. 

I do know they planned a staged roll out of the new motors so it is possible it does fit but they won't make it an option till 2020 as part of the roll out plans.  

7 hours ago, UWSkier said:

That seems like a bit of a whiff if they can't fit the M5 into such a popular model with current packaging.  That motor in a VTX would be a sweet crossover combo by shedding a bunch of stern weight.

Agree

5 hours ago, gregtay said:

I do know they planned a staged roll out of the new motors so it is possible it does fit but they won't make it an option till 2020 as part of the roll out plans.  

That's what I am thinking, use up all the old motors in the VTX then adopt new later.

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, AussieSkier said:

Is this the case in the states? New VTX models with no M5 or 6?

Not that I’ve seen. They all have, including mine, the Crusader Challenger (division of PCM) GM Block 6.0l 410. Fantastic engine but I’m curious to see how the Malibu engines will do in it. 

My guess is that the VTX is still waiting to be updated to the 2 piece hull design style. It’s the last of the Malibu lineup to make that change. I’d assume it’s coming for 2020 but I don’t know that. They are probably waiting for that and then they will also switch to the Malibu engines. 

• Like 1