Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Malibu M6di motor

kayt425

Hey! That’s my video- I’m happy to answer any questions about the boat setups! Same prop, same ballast, same hull.

There are people way more scientific with the engine data than I am, but we had both engines in the shop and I wanted to see what they were like!

13 minutes ago, chantel said:

Hey! That’s my video- I’m happy to answer any questions about the boat setups! Same prop, same ballast, same hull.

There are people way more scientific with the engine data than I am, but we had both engines in the shop and I wanted to see what they were like!

Thanks for sharing.. very curious to find out any data on the M6 in the 23lsv since I have one on order (and ordered with zero information out there other than the early 25LSV deliveries.

From the video it sounds like you really didn't see a ton of differance between the two motors.  Malibu made a lot of claims about the M6 being quieter but maybe that is more a comparison of the old Raptor vs. the PCM motor.  I mostly care about the comparison of motors you demoed (PCM vs M6) since that was the choice I had to make.

I also wonder if the M6 really needs the high alt prop in a 23LSV at 2500 feet. I could see the M5 needing it to make up for the lower tq, but I would home the M6 has enough extra tq.  

5 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Thanks for sharing.. very curious to find out any data on the M6 in the 23lsv since I have one on order (and ordered with zero information out there other than the early 25LSV deliveries.

From the video it sounds like you really didn't see a ton of differance between the two motors.  Malibu made a lot of claims about the M6 being quieter but maybe that is more a comparison of the old Raptor vs. the PCM motor.  I mostly care about the comparison of motors you demoed (PCM vs M6) since that was the choice I had to make.

I also wonder if the M6 really needs the high alt prop in a 23LSV at 2500 feet. I could see the M5 needing it to make up for the lower tq, but I would home the M6 has enough extra tq.  

The M6 was quieter than the PCM. Hard to tell in the video, but there is a difference. Power wise, they did feel similar. If it were me, I wouldn’t put the high altitude prop on the M6 at 2,500 feet. I think you’ll be stoked with the 2277. What elevation are you?

We haven’t gotten any M5s yet, so I can’t say for sure on that. 

A big bonus on the M6 is how easy it will be to work on. Closed cooling is standard, sea strainer is standard, both of which were upgrades on the PCM. It’s also SUPER easy to winterize. Convenience alone makes it worth the up charge! 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, chantel said:

Keep up the good work , Watched your other youtube reviews and found them informative .  especially like the one on the screens and the 25 LSV. as we have never owned a Malibu before . Looking forward to see how the M6 Runs in the M235 at sea level as this wasn't available for demos when ordered .

2 minutes ago, LucasC said:

Keep up the good work , Watched your other youtube reviews and found them informative .  especially like the one on the screens and the 25 LSV. as we have never owned a Malibu before . Looking forward to see how the M6 Runs in the M235 at sea level as this wasn't available for demos when ordered .

Ohhhhhh! You ordered an M235? That’s so awesome. Let me know how you like that engine for that boat! I’ve only ever been in M235s with the supercharged so that would be good to know!

33 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

@chantel are you all putting premium 91/93 octane in the M6DI?

That's what we use - a non-ethanol 93 octane. But that's what we put in every boat.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Just wanted to give props to Malibu on how easy it is to winterize the M6.  3 plugs on motor and 1 on v-drive.   All are thumb screw type and can be pulled with no tools.  Literally less than a few minute process start to finish!

Did you pull the hose on the bottom of the heat exchanger?

I have since I don’t have that plug but I think most later builds should have the 4th plug in that hose so it is even easier.  That is what is shown in the manual.  Very little water left in there even when pulling the hose.  

This is the plug that didn’t get added on all builds.  If you don’t have it, just pull the hose.  I actually disconnected the hose at the tee that looks to takeoff and head for the shaft seal.  It is at a low point on the hose.  I hope to add the plug to make it even easier in the future.  In either case, it is better than the Raptor which I thought was way better than the previous 5.7 GM block.  

BTW, the 6 plugs mentioned in the manual include the midship and transom plug on the hull   

B270DF1A-5C6A-49D3-9C79-3C915D155A5D.jpeg

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 3

I kept looking for it on my M5 when I did the factory tour and figured it was a change to the engine. I was told to just pull the hose as well. You all might want to check to ensure that the hose from the block to the dripless shaft seal isn't kinked. In the only 3 outings that I have done since new I kept getting a god awful 1-2 second "dry cutlass bearing squeal". It sounded like it was coming from that area or the VD god forbid. After some more rooting around :Doh:under the VD access plate I see the shaft seal hose is underneath the raw water hose to the VD and it is kinked. I unkink it and immediately get a gallon and change of water dumped onto the shop floor. I am assuming that because the shaft seal was not being supplied water that it may have spun inside the housing a couple rotations causing the noise. At least that is what I am hoping. Going to confer with the dealership this morning about it. The shaft seals are "supposedly run dry safe" for a good number of hours, at least that is what is claimed and I am not leaking any water in the boat so hopefully no big deal.

Here is a better view my dealer provided.  Also for reference, the manual makes mention of blowing out the heater.  My dealer confirmed with Malibu that isn’t necessary and it is indeed part of the closed side of the system.  

5F25F272-0AB4-48DA-A0B7-CF33988A16DE.png

PCM has a nifty block with threaded holes for the engine plugs.  That way, you don't lose them, and you are also sure that you have put them back in the spring.   That would be a nice addition.  

Thanks for the diagram.  4 plugs, nice and easy.  

@hethj7 Does the rear panel behind the rear bench/wake bench seat lift up and out for easier access to the engine?  The 25 LSV they had at the Chicago boat show was able to do that.  I thought that was nice for being able to get to the engine without having to hang upside down over the metal rails around the engine when you have to service something.

5 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

@hethj7 Does the rear panel behind the rear bench/wake bench seat lift up and out for easier access to the engine?  The 25 LSV they had at the Chicago boat show was able to do that.  I thought that was nice for being able to get to the engine without having to hang upside down over the metal rails around the engine when you have to service something.

I will look closer but I don’t think so. I had the same thought as you but didn’t see any obvious way that it removes easily.  But, if you saw it like that at Chicago, it makes me want to look closer.  Got a pic by chance?

I don't have pictures.  When I was crawling around on the 25 at the show the dealer rep told me about it.  There is a lever/release underneath the top rail of that panel behind your wakeview bench.  It is right around where the pylon is.  Cup your hand underneath that rail is where it should be.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is an option.  In my opinion it would be a good option and nice to incorporate on other models in the future.

You also have to pull the wakeview bench out of the way to be able to get better access to the engine once it is removed.

Edited by Hemmy