Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Malibu M6di motor

kayt425

Anyone on here have experience with the new M6DI motor?  My dealer loves it, just curious if anyone else out there has any real life experience with it. 

Most my boating is done at Lake Powell elevations and above.  I know it will be enough for a 23LSV.  Anyone have experience/opinion on th M6 in the new 25 LSV?  Does the 25 beg for the supercharger when loaded down?  My buddy with a 2019 G23 swears by the supercharged motor.

Shout out to Tanner over at Taylors Boats who has gone above and beyond.  Exceptional dealer and customer service.  

TIA

Edited by kayt425

I have experience with it in my truck, as it is a marinized L86.  Stout motor for sure; it is the LT1 from the Camaro and Vette with a different intake manifold.  I am surprised Malibu isn't trying the Corvette branding BS that they did with the LS1 and LS3.  

29 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I have experience with it in my truck, as it is a marinized L86.  Stout motor for sure; it is the LT1 from the Camaro and Vette with a different intake manifold.  I am surprised Malibu isn't trying the Corvette branding BS that they did with the LS1 and LS3.  

The Malibu motors use the factory intake manifold.

The LS1 and LS3 stuff came from the engine manufacturers, not Malibu IIRC.

My G23 had what is essentially the PCM version of the same motor (DI 6.2L).  Same 2:1 tranny ratio.   It performed terrific at Lake Powell.  Going much higher, the G needs the supercharged motor.  That is why Croft does all of their G23's with the supercharger.  The 25 weighs about the same as the G23, so I expect it to perform equally well at Powell.  I wish I could tell you for sure, but there is every reason to believe that below 4000 feet, the M6 will do fine with whatever you throw at it.  If you went with the 25, then I would only do the supercharged motor if you did a lot of boating at Jordanelle/Echo, IMHO.  

My dealer here propped down a G23 with the 6.2L DI motor and went to Jordanelle, and said it worked great.  But I suspect his top speed was reduced significantly, but it isn't like you do a lot of pleasure cruising at Jordanelle like you might at Powell.  So a spare prop would be a lot cheaper than a supercharged motor, and still allow you to go to Jordanelle if you wanted.  You should probably have a spare prop anyway, just make it a lower pitch for high altitude.  

• Like 1

Seems like the new entire drive line is set up to just be re propped for whatever your application would be, and yes , who goes boat riding at Jordanelle other than get a little bit away from others and if your bringing a huge crew to Powell to ride or surf heavy , just accept your higher rpms cruising fir one week 

Edited by granddaddy55

I have not driven too many new boats. I am coming from a 07 21LSV. It was a great feeling to literally jump out of the water. I have been reserved to comment because it is the high altitude torque prop and I am at sea level. I sure hope it performs the same with the 2805. We need more top end.

14 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

@Dfowkes Just picked up his 25 LSV with the M6 and has nothing but great things to say about it. Sounds like Malibu hit it out of the part with this motor, trans and prop setup.

Yes. M6DI has more than exceeded my expectations. Side note how do I reference my post of maiden voyage of 2019 25LSV? I came from supercharged motor 1.5 to 1 and new combo of M6DI and 2:1 with 17”. The new combo has better hole shot and planes much faster than my previous 2016 25LSV SC. Top end speed in my old boat was faster with less RPM’s. The top end speed is the only thing that is better when comparing my 2 boats. 

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

Yes. M6DI has more than exceeded my expectations. Side note how do I reference my post of maiden voyage of 2019 25LSV? I came from supercharged motor 1.5 to 1 and new combo of M6DI and 2:1 with 17”. The new combo has better hole shot and planes much faster than my previous 2016 25LSV SC. Top end speed in my old boat was faster with less RPM’s. The top end speed is the only thing that is better when comparing my 2 boats. 

Just copy and paste the link for the share button on a specific post or the main thread link from the address bar if you want to just link the thread.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:46 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

The Malibu motors use the factory intake manifold.

One would assume they used the L86 manifold.  It sits higher than the LT1 manifold but flows better.

What prop are you guys running on the M6di on the 25LSV?  My order (for my 23 LSV) is showing the prop as "15  x 1575 - 2277"  Does that sound right for an M6 on the 23?

prop.JPG

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

What prop are you guys running on the M6di on the 25LSV?  My order (for my 23 LSV) is showing the prop as "15  x 1575 - 2277"  Does that sound right for an M6 on the 23?

prop.JPG

We run a 17x14-2755 which is the high alt/torque prop. Our lakes are around 5k-6k feet. 

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

prop.JPG

That’s what I ran on my 2018 with the raptor 410 at sea level and loved it. That’s where I’d start however you’re in uncharted territory. 

3 hours ago, gregtay said:

prop.JPG

The 25 lsv has a 17” prop and 2:1 ratio. The 23 can only take a 15” prop. I would think 2277 isn’t a bad place to start. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 11:16 PM, boardjnky4 said:

Does the M6DI require 91/93 octane?

image.png.95bc89480cf60bb5f11e132f37963644.png

This is from the 2019 owners manual which discusses M5/6di engines.

• Like 2

Not the most useful comparison.  Zero data, just "it feels about the same" and then in the end she comments that the M6 she tested with has a high alt prop which sort of makes the entire comparison pointless :-/  

40 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

I like the video but it would be helpful if they compared or even mentioned the prop.  Did I miss where they said which prop was on each boat?

In the comment section of the video they mention: Elevation - ~2,500'. Prop on both boats - Acme 2249 - 15" X 14.25" - it's the high altitude/torque prop you can order from the Malibu factory.

That's my local dealer, Idaho Water Sports. Good group of folks!

Edited by IdahoAxis
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, IdahoAxis said:

In the comment section of the video they mention: Elevation - ~2,500'. Prop on both boats - Acme 2249 - 15" X 14.25" - it's the high altitude/torque prop you can order from the Malibu factory.

That's my local dealer, Idaho Water Sports. Good group of folks!

My 23 with the M6 is being built this week and will come with the 2277 so it will be interesting to compare.