Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Shopping

Pnut35040

I am doing some research to purchase a new (to me) boat next boating season. i have been currently looking at Moomba and malibu.  I have started leaning more toward malibu. My Price tag limit is 60K.  I am assuming i can get a good used 2011 or something boat for that.    Questions are this.  With going older what upgrades will be needed to surf.  All beginner surfers here too.   I currently have a 21' bow rider. Can carry 10 people (Packed) want to carry same number but with a little more room.  Whats a good lenght in that price range.   

We are going to need some more information.  Which area of the country do you live?  Are you planning to tow or keep on lift?  Storage unit/Garage measurements?  Tow vehicle?  Do you plan to do other things besides surf?  You mention Moomba and Malibu but I would also throw Axis into the mix (since it's more comparable to Moomba).  You could get into a used 2016 T22 or A22 for around 60K and the boat would be ready to go for surfing and it would still include 2 years of warranty.  I think you could probably get into 2013/2014 Malibu's but it will depend on how they are optioned.  If you live in a high elevation, you are going to want a big motor which eats into that budget number.

I would start by doing a Google search of boats and check out onlyinboards to see what models fall within your budget.

Alabama, Tow, Will be stored outside till i can build a garage for it.  Dodge ram 2500.   My son wake boards a little, other than surfing we tube a little, but mostly ride park and swim.  i have look on only inboards everyday getting ideas.  i was just trying to get some other input, because i am clueless about these kind of boats

Axis should be a contender for sure.  And a year from now I would assume some Surfgate equipped Malibu’s (2013, maybe some 2014s) will be around that 60 mark.  

I would definitely lean Newer Axis with a warranty as a starting point.  

Here is a boat located in Dallas at Waterski America.   Surf Gate and Power Wedge.  

https://www.waterskiamerica.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=6589216&p=3&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

I would not consider an Axis unless it was newer and had the power wedge...  That makes it a 2018 or newer if I recall correctly.  

32 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

Here is a boat located in Dallas at Waterski America.   Surf Gate and Power Wedge.  

https://www.waterskiamerica.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=6589216&p=3&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

I would not consider an Axis unless it was newer and had the power wedge...  That makes it a 2018 or newer if I recall correctly.  

This is the ticket if you can swing a little extra money.  The 23LSV will give you all the space you need and a great wakeboard and surf wave.  The one at WSA has low hours and as a bonus it is yellow... which is awesome!

Thanks,

I haven't Really looked at Axis to be Honest, Have seen a few reports where their Interior isn't up to par. I will put it on my list of boats to look at when i really start getting deeper into this.

What is the difference in a T-22 & an A-22?

Not Many T in my area for sale

Thanks

Edited by Pnut35040
6 minutes ago, Pnut35040 said:

Thanks,

I haven't Really looked at Axis to be Honest, Have seen a few reports where their Interior isn't up to par. I will put it on my list of boats to look at when i really start getting deeper into this.

What is the difference in a T-22 & an A-22?

Not Many T in my area for sale

Thanks

T is traditional bow.  A model is pickle fork type bow.  T will have more room behind helm.  A will have much larger bow seating but less room in rear.

If it were me and I was working on the 60K budget, power wedge and surf gate would be my must haves for wakeboard and surf.  My boat has neither so if I were in the market to purchase again, knowing what I know now, these 2 options would be deal breakers if the boat didnt have both.  That would eliminate 2017 and older axis boats for me.  I would also consider the GSA aftermarket system and power wedge if I was looking at pre 13 malibu's.  System runs $4000, installed yourself so you could figure that number into your budget when deciding.  I would also look at 2010 or later Bu for the g3 tower.  Just my 2 cents and personal preferences.

Dumb Question here.   Per looking those 2 things up online.  The Power Wedge looks like it pushes bow down? Which means you need less bow weight? i just cant understand what the surf gate does.  I am just trying to figure all this out before deciding what boat

So next question is, If i cant find a boat with these accessories, What will that do to me with beginner surfing?

The power wedge is in the middle of stern and it forced the whole stern down.  The surf gates are on the left and right side of the stern and force the boat to list to one side or the other. 

For beginner surfing you can use a combination of ballast bags, weights, and removal surfgates.  You have the ability to make a great wave with these items but they they are a lot more leg work to set up when compared to pushing a button on the dash

17 minutes ago, obaro15 said:

The power wedge is in the middle of stern and it forced the whole stern down.  The surf gates are on the left and right side of the stern and force the boat to list to one side or the other. 

For beginner surfing you can use a combination of ballast bags, weights, and removal surfgates.  You have the ability to make a great wave with these items but they they are a lot more leg work to set up when compared to pushing a button on the dash

Surf gates don't list the boat.  They provide delayed water convergence to clean up surf side wave so you don't have to list and can use equal weight.  Suck gates can be used, I was only pointing out that if I were spending 60K, I'd want an automated surf system and power wedge.  If it was a GSA boat, I may even consider floating wedge because GSA has setting range that can influence height and length of wave like the power wedge.  This is coming from someone who bought a non surfgates boat with floating wedge.  I'm installing GSA this month for convenience and ability to tune wave from the helm.

Edited by bovhica
25 minutes ago, bovhica said:

Surf gates don't list the boat.  They provide delayed water convergence to clean up surf side wave so you don't have to list and can use equal weight.  Suck gates can be used, I was only pointing out that if I were spending 60K, I'd want an automated surf system and power wedge.  If it was a GSA boat, I may even consider floating wedge because GSA has setting range that can influence height and length of wave like the power wedge.  This is coming from someone who bought a non surfgates boat with floating wedge.  I'm installing GSA this month for convenience and ability to tune wave from the helm.

Bovhica.   Thanks for the input. I absolutely don't want to spend 60 k on a boat then have to add another 4k into it when i could find one that has the options in it i already need. 

21 minutes ago, Pnut35040 said:

Bovhica.   Thanks for the input. I absolutely don't want to spend 60 k on a boat then have to add another 4k into it when i could find one that has the options in it i already need. 

That's the mistake I was trying to help you avoid.  Now if you were to spend 50 to 55 on a boat without surfgate, you could have GSA installed.  Just giving you some options to think about.  Everyone is going to have their own personal preferences.  Keep in mind that these options are my deal breakers....yours may differ. Good luck and let us know when you decide!

I had a 2015 A22 and easily put 9 peeps in it. Were all family..no probs tho. The pickle fork bow helps. Also plan on having 750s or 950s in the rear locker. And the bow sac. With all of the above, puts out a great wave.  We also had a 540 walkway pump over the side sac we used when only a crew of 3 or so. Prolly not required,but I have always wanted the biggest wave I can generate. If I did it again,I would run the 950s and maybe 200 lead in the bow along with the bow sac.

I would also add that just about any ‘Bu or Axis could surf well. If you want the “push button” approach, get one with Surf Gate (there is a good video on how and why it works on the googles) as well as the Power Wedge ( same as above, google it... keep in mind there are slight differences between the PW I, II, and III, and there are several posts here that outline some of those, but for $60k you will probably be Looking at a boat with the PW I) 

if you want to “monkey” with it, there are tons of options on the 2010-2012 range (both ‘Bu and axis) that you could get away with pretty much any ballast, surf, stereo upgrade you want. Add some Wake Makers bags, and after market surf “Gate”, and have your self a good time. 

Edited by rakr