Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater lights question?

geogilbert

I have heard a huge amount of rave reviews for Liquid Lumens in the last couple years. I do have a neighbor with them, and they are RIDICULOUSLY bright. I’m going to try them this year, and see how I like them.

i have used both the Lumitec Seablaze X, and Abyss large starfish, on a few different boats, and both of those were top notch lights. I tried Roswell and Lifeform LED on one boat each..... and had trouble with both. The Roswells were also only about half as bright as any of the others I have tried.

On that transom, I would suggest a round light, rather then the wide rectangle. Better fit due to the radius of the transom. Ive experienced multiple failures and poor service from Abyss. The light in questions, was their RGB. Never had an issue with any of the Lifeform. I think the old round LF6 is gone and a new LF9 is in the works. They look to be working on a rectangle 20 LED light, but know nothing about beyond that. All of the lumitc seablaze lights are well built, but I would pass on any of them below the "X", unless your lake is crystal clear water. The Shadow Catser round lights are impressive. Their RGB is one of the only ones that can be integrated into an RGB controller thats also driving other interior RGB's. You may not be looking for RGB, but just shows the thought put into the lights. No real world experience with the new Roswell nightwave, but I dont like its design. Its a thru-stud design that requires unimpeded access to two studs through the transom. Some boats would be a no-go to install. Their early light offerings looked to the same as the asian import ebay and amazon lights. Ive been really impressed with the Liquid Lumen. They offer 3 levels of single color right now. 

The Skinnydip would in the price range of the Seablaze X, but the Skinnydip edges it on brightness. The Pipeline is their brightest single color. LL offers housing color options for a little more bling. 

28 minutes ago, MLA said:

. Ive been really impressed with the Liquid Lumen. They offer 3 levels of single color right now. 

The Skinnydip would in the price range of the Seablaze X, but the Skinnydip edges it on brightness. The Pipeline is their brightest single color. LL offers housing color options for a little more bling. 

It looks like they also offer an RGBW option as well.  $1595 MSRP, ouch!  

Liquid Lumens runs a 24 Volt upregulator to power their lights, so there is a unit that has to be installed with the lights about the size of a small amplifier.  I think most installs could find space for it, but it might be an issue for someone.  

48 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

It looks like they also offer an RGBW option as well.  $1595 MSRP, ouch!  

Liquid Lumens runs a 24 Volt upregulator to power their lights, so there is a unit that has to be installed with the lights about the size of a small amplifier.  I think most installs could find space for it, but it might be an issue for someone.  

Yes, but just one level/price point. Did not mean to exclude the RGB Other underwater RGB are $1200 for a pair and controller is additional. 

The step-up voltage converters are not too large, about like a small audio amp. They are ignition protected, so they can be safely placed in engine bay

ahopkins22LSV

I went with the OEM option. Are they the best on the market? Probably not, but MSRP is 770 ish so after your factored in discount they are fairly priced. Plus they are installed and done. I'm please with their output and we don't have the clearest lake in the world.

IMG_5822.thumb.JPG.3ca9ba87ed1cd29a39f997e4a7c85b1d.JPG

• Like 3

My OEM option were Shadowcasters and they kick @$$. This is up on the lift a little so they look a little brighter than when they are at depth.   What brand did your dealer install?  They look fine to me. 

CAKZpsq%TK61nhcTJLBUHA.jpg

Edited by Blenderhead
8 hours ago, gregtay said:

Anyone know what lights Malibu uses as the OEM lights?  @Blenderhead you mentioned your OEM lights are shadowcasters.. did you mean from the factory or from your dealer?

Good point.  Mine were done at the dealer.   I am curious now as well what comes off the Malibu production line.

• 1 year later...

On the topic of underwater lights...  If I plan to self-install a set on my 2020 23 MXZ, do I need anything special for wiring or connectors?  Assuming I can connect up to the control board somewhere for control via the 7" controls display?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 6:46 AM, RocNE said:

On the topic of underwater lights...  If I plan to self-install a set on my 2020 23 MXZ, do I need anything special for wiring or connectors?  Assuming I can connect up to the control board somewhere for control via the 7" controls display?

On my 19 vlx the wires are back there with a proprietary connector and capped.  Seems to be a 12 volt on and off.  In your display go to control settings and u must enable them. Then the underwater light will show up on the boat control display.   

I believe the techniq 12 light is the one you want...   I would just cut off the Malibu connector and use a water tight splice or connector to make it work.  U can zip tie it high in the transom. It won’t see water 

I ordered my factory lights after the purchase of my 2020 because I could not decide if I wanted to go with something brighter like Liquid or cheaper. I ended up getting the newer 2020 factory option. They are not the best, but I don't use them enough to spend over $1K.  If you really want bright then I would not do factory lights. 

I have the 2020 style factory options in blue... so certainly not the brightest and the blue doesn't help. But.. we are rarely on the lake past dark (long summer days this far north) and they still do what I want which is just add some fun light in the water. We have surfed at dusk with them and they add a little extra light but not like some of the photos you see out there of the high powered lights.  So really just depends on what you are looking for.  I liked the super easy factory install... drill hole, seal, plug them in to the existing harness. done.

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, upperstraits wakes said:

Does anyone know if installing the liquid lumens voids any of the warranty on the boat? 

I'm not sure if it does or does not.  Perhaps check the warranty documents that came with the boat.  

Is your boat still at the dealer and purple flake and black, by chance??

I have not ever heard of any manufacturer ever voiding any warranty after aftermarket accessories were installed. Now, thats not to say a warranty claim would be denied if the issue was related to the work that was done. Say, cracks in the gel propagating from behind your aftermarket lights. I doubt you would get that repair authorized. But thats no the same voiding a warranty.  

On 2/28/2019 at 10:25 PM, gregtay said:

Anyone know what lights Malibu uses as the OEM lights?  @Blenderhead you mentioned your OEM lights are shadowcasters.. did you mean from the factory or from your dealer?

Im pretty sure the factory lights are Attwoods. Never seen the shadow casters on a Malibu.  However, the RGB controller that they were using for that option was a shadowcaster

36 minutes ago, MLA said:

I have not ever heard of any manufacturer ever voiding any warranty after aftermarket accessories were installed. Now, thats not to say a warranty claim would be denied if the issue was related to the work that was done. Say, cracks in the gel propagating from behind your aftermarket lights. I doubt you would get that repair authorized. But thats no the same voiding a warranty.  

Makes sense. Do you think that would still be the case if they were installed by an authorized malibu dealer? I want to pull the trigger on the liquid lumens but am afraid of any warranty issues on a 2022 wakesetter.

8 minutes ago, upperstraits wakes said:

Makes sense. Do you think that would still be the case if they were installed by an authorized malibu dealer? I want to pull the trigger on the liquid lumens but am afraid of any warranty issues on a 2022 wakesetter.

I dont think the boat manufacture cares who did the work. If a flaw or issue shows up after the aftermarket work and is related to the aftermarket work, id expect the boat manufacture to say no, you fix it. Even if the authorized boat dealer installed the same lights as used OEM, its still aftermarket, so go for it, get the lights you want. Who ever installs them, would be doing it the same way it would be dont at the factory. 

Make sure the original boat wiring harness is not cut, spliced, or modified during the install.  When installing liquid lumens in a new boat, I use weather pack connectors to plug into the factory underwater light connector and then make my own harness to go to the switched power on the control box.  I use crimped eyelets for the power cable to the battery switch and for the ground cable to the battery terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 2:44 PM, Slayer said:

I'm not sure if it does or does not.  Perhaps check the warranty documents that came with the boat.  

Is your boat still at the dealer and purple flake and black, by chance??

Yeah that is my boat haha! 

It is black, purple and gun metal metallic silver. 

Just now, upperstraits wakes said:

Yeah that is my boat haha! 

It is black, purple and gun metal metallic silver. 

Awesome!! Congrats!!  I saw it Shane and I were looking at my 25 and thought it was sick!!  Great choice in color scheme.

Just now, Slayer said:

Awesome!! Congrats!!  I saw it Shane and I were looking at my 25 and thought it was sick!!  Great choice in color scheme.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I was surprised by the way the purple looked as it was a bit different then what the renderings show. 

Shane is the man.

What 25 lsv is yours?