Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

buffing and introducing new scratches

hawaiianstyln

was about to start buffing some light surfaces scratches last night with new Chem Guys variety pack pads using Menzerna 400.  I understand how to properly use a buffer/pads/compound but last night as I was at 800 RPM on the medium cut chem guys pad using Menzerna 400, I noticed that I was introducing new swirls and scratches.  I made sure my surface was clean and the pads where brand new.  What gives?  Seemed like it started when I got near the rub rail or the pull out cleat.  I suppose I could have lifted a dirty object off the cleat or the rub rail to cause this?  Unfortunately I don't think a picture will show well for what I'm seeing.  Maybe I'm missing a step and maybe I don't really know what I'm doing. :lol:

Just now, hawaiianstyln said:

was about to start buffing some light surfaces scratches last night with new Chem Guys variety pack pads using Menzerna 400.  I understand how to properly use a buffer/pads/compound but last night as I was at 800 RPM on the medium cut chem guys pad using Menzerna 400, I noticed that I was introducing new swirls and scratches.  I made sure my surface was clean and the pads where brand new.  What gives?  Seemed like it started when I got near the rub rail or the pull out cleat.  I suppose I could have lifted a dirty object off the cleat or the rub rail to cause this?  Unfortunately I don't think a picture will show well for what I'm seeing.  Maybe I'm missing a step and maybe I don't really know what I'm doing. :lol:

I did that too years ago, it was on low speed also and I saw it right away.  Picked up a speck of something from somewhere that might as well have been a diamond, I couldn't believe what had just happened.  I cleaned everything up, put different compound and a new pad on, and went to 6k rpm to heat the gel and take the scratches out.  I dumped the old compound out and across my hand and could feel pieces of grit in it, so I think it was my compound.

• Like 1

I don't know too much about Menzerna 400 but on google it stated as a heavy cut compound. It could have too much grit in it for what you want. Maybe try something finer to take those out. Hopefully they're more minor scratches compared to what you were trying to take out.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I did that too years ago, it was on low speed also and I saw it right away.  Picked up a speck of something from somewhere that might as well have been a diamond, I couldn't believe what had just happened.  I cleaned everything up, put different compound and a new pad on, and went to 6k rpm to heat the gel and take the scratches out.  I dumped the old compound out and across my hand and could feel pieces of grit in it, so I think it was my compound.

AND, it's a crappy feeling when you do this.  Makes you timid to clean the pad, the area, and try it again.  :(

• Like 1
Just now, hawaiianstyln said:

AND, it's a crappy feeling when you do this.  Makes you timid to clean the pad, the area, and try it again.  :(

Or start googling "vinyl boat wraps"

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ethanfischer said:

I don't know too much about Menzerna 400 but on google it stated as a heavy cut compound. It could have too much grit in it for what you want. Maybe try something finer to take those out. Hopefully they're more minor scratches compared to what you were trying to take out.

suppose I can speed up the buffer and try some 3M Finess-it II that I have.  I will report back on that and try tonight. 

my process last night did involve having a nice bourbon before I started.  Maybe that should be the last step. :Doh:

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Menzerna 400 rocks. At slow speeds, it's likely that its grit is generating some roughness. Let the polisher speed up. The compound breaks down as you polish, and finishes off really nicely.

yah I've heard some GREAT things about Menzerna 400 which is why I bought it.  Good point on speeding it up.

1 minute ago, hawaiianstyln said:

yah I've heard some GREAT things about Menzerna 400 which is why I bought it.  Good point on speeding it up.

You still might want to end up using a finer polish after the Menzerna 400.

• Like 2