Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Your Winter Repairs/Upgrades/Add-ons

hawaiianstyln

2018 23LSV

Upgrades:

1. 2249 to 2277 

2. added docking lights

3. added onboard charger

4. added 2 HRD overhead surfracks 

5. Adding GPS - Navtronics & GPS puck

6. adding malibu surfpipe

7. purchased 300# of lead weight 

8. ordered evolution cover - eta on delivery is May 

Repairs:

1. fixing a few small gel coat blems from delivery

2. replacing some gatorstep that is peeling up.

3. new combing pads for walkthough.  The fabric is coming unglued 

maintenance:

1. annual service complete.

geez it’s been a pretty busy winter!

Edited by SCMike
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, bovhica said:

@granddaddy55 

Post pictures when interior is done!  I'd like to see how it turns out.

Wish our grass was green.  My yard was white this morning.😡

So you decided to go with the 2315?  I remember you asking about the 2419 that I installed in July.  If you are moving from the stock prop or even the 1235 (can't remember which prop you were running) you will love it for heavy ballast.  I considered both 2315 and 2419.... went with 2419, but I'm at elevation and wanted as much "low end" as I could get.  If I was at sea level, I'd probably have gone 2315 or 2313.

With 1900-2100 rear 400 center plus 300 lead in side and rear of cabin, 750-850 bow bag plus 400 lead in bow plus wedge with two people in cabin and no rider it took a while to get up but no way I do that with 1235, 

it seems  as though I could slam it with people, ballast, wedge and lead it should get to surf speed no issues from testing it, couldn’t do that with the 1235

seems as though it’s sippin gas but I haven’t filled up yet

i just didn’t want to be at 4000 rpms to cruise 26-29 mph when cruising , so I started with this and will step up from there ,  the wake it made was sick snd I’m sure I can hurt myself on that without it being any bigger from the capabilities of a dinner plate prop like the 2419 or OJ945

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV

Not much other then wishing spring would come. 10-12” of ice on our lake right now and the extended forecast only has a handful of days above freezing. 

I am planning on ordering the full front deck kit for gatorstep for around our bow and a bow bag and pump. 

ahopkins22LSV

Going quick and cheap this year to make sure we want the bag vs lead. I have little to no free time this year either as I discussed in my other thread. If we decide to keep it vs lead I’ll probably plumb it in next fall/winter. A lot of our time on our boat is spent not surfing so it’s not like I will he filling that bow bag every time out or even once if every 4 times out. 

Edit: plus, if the wife hates the pump over the side I can offer the solution of plumbing the bag in to a switch on the dash in trade for time with the boat :crazy:

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

With 1900-2100 rear 400 center plus 300 lead in side and rear of cabin, 750-850 bow bag plus 400 lead in bow plus wedge with two people in cabin and no rider it took a while to get up but no way I do that with 1235, 

it seems  as though I could slam it with people, ballast, wedge and lead it should get to surf speed no issues from testing it, couldn’t do that with the 1235

seems as though it’s sippin gas but I haven’t filled up yet

i just didn’t want to be at 4000 rpms to cruise 26-29 mph when cruising , so I started with this and will step up from there ,  the wake it made was sick snd I’m sure I can hurt myself on that without it being any bigger from the capabilities of a dinner plate prop like the 2419 or OJ945

I definitely traded off cruising rpms for low end.  We don't cruise very far or often so it really wasn't much of a consideration for us.

We are saving on fuel surfing the 2419 vs 1235, curious as to fuel consumption difference wakeboarding.  We just dont wakeboard often enough to calculate.  Sounds like you think the 2315 may be less efficient than the 1235?  Although you are heavier so its probably a trade off and not really apples to apples.

If you want someone to take that 945 off your hands, I might know a guy!😉

Edited by bovhica
54 minutes ago, bovhica said:

I definitely traded off cruising rpms for low end.  We don't cruise very far or often so it really wasn't much of a consideration for us.

We are saving on fuel surfing the 2419 vs 1235, curious as to fuel consumption difference wakeboarding.  We just dont wakeboard often enough to calculate.  Sounds like you think the 2315 may be less efficient than the 1235?  Although you are heavier so its probably a trade off and not really apples to apples.

If you want someone to take that 945 off your hands, I might know a guy!😉

No , I think the 2315 is sipping gas so far for one test day for prop and one actual surf day , just haven’t filled up yet, 

i guarantee if I was doing the load my 1235 could get on plane with the long get up struggle it had, this one would do it instantly and probably save some gas there too.  As we tried heavier and heavier riding with theb1235, fuel economy got way worse on what was an economical prop fir listed surfing and reasonable ballast and weight like stock plus 700 lead and wedge, once we went behind that fuel went way up.  

Problem is I didn’t buy 2315 to do same load Wakeboarding so will eat up a lot of that with it’s ecpanded capabilities as I already tested to point that it struggled to get up even with major nose weight as described in earlier post 

I think for our normal surfing listed with that almost emptying of opposite rear sac will actually be as good maybe better at same speed and load (4.5-6 per hour with 1235 ) and wave fir some reason seemed cleaner though I was surfing not driving so not sure there .   

The 2315 I could load the boat with people and lead , full ballast , wedge and barge it instead of list and I’m sure it will get to surf speed, 1235 couldn’t do that !

Wish we could have a "test day".  Our grass was white yesterday morning.  I have to put on a jacket, grab a brew, turn on the radio and just sit in my boat in the garage and wait for spring.....lol.

Glad you are getting more out of the new prop!  Let me know if you decide you don't want that 945.  I have a 1235 to trade so you have matching 1235s.🤣

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, bovhica said:

Wish we could have a "test day".  Our grass was white yesterday morning.  I have to put on a jacket, grab a brew, turn on the radio and just sit in my boat in the garage and wait for spring.....lol.

Glad you are getting more out of the new prop!  Let me know if you decide you don't want that 945.  I have a 1235 to trade so you have matching 1235s.🤣

😂😂😂😂😂😂

did you make boat noises or just clean up , should have been doing your boat bling interior scrub and condition that took me 2 solid days

I just finished my mods early this week.  Lol at the boat noises....I spit out coffee through my nose when I read that.....so thanks for that! 

Boat is still a mess so I've got that to occupy my time when I get home from a long weekend in Vegas.  Flying out in an hour!  Hopefully March goes by fast!

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 1

Several items I purchased during the winter and still sitting in the boxes.  (Actually Black Friday purchases)

OJ 945 Prop

Bow Bag and Pump

2019 Phase 5 Hammerhead Ghost LTD.

I still have my ballast bag monitoring setup in the works.  Hoping to get it wrapped up by the first couple outings which should be late March/early April.  Waiting on the LCD enclosure I drew up to come back from 3D printing for 1st fitment test.  It should ship tomorrow.   More details on this can be seen here for the ones who missed it:

• Like 2

Got a list of items to install that I purchased around the Black Friday time frame:

1) Wakemakers vent kit for rear plug and play

2) Gator Step all around the top deck

3) 3m film for the front runs of trailer and possibly a piece on the transom to prevent scratches from boards

4) Domed Numbers registration numbers

5) Loctite a few bolts that I have noticed like to work loose

6) Install 50# of leadwake bags behind each bow speaker

7) Finish installing the extended bimini I picked up from the dealer back in late November 

8) Detail boat to get ready  for the season. Hopefully it gets warm enough soon!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jwl019 said:

6) Install 50# of leadwake bags behind each bow speaker

where did you get the lead bags?  I need two bags for my bow as well

1 minute ago, hawaiianstyln said:

where did you get the lead bags?  I need two bags for my bow as well

https://www.leadwake.com/collections/frontpage

Ordered 300# total during the Black Friday sale. Wasn't a huge discount, but was going to buy some anyway for the bow.

I figure 50# behind each bow speaker (100# total) will help a lot.  The other 200#, I will play with to see where I need them. Possibly 50-100# behind the sub and watchers seat compartment should do me.  I want to put it somewhere and leave it basically.

I need to do the same and about the same weight you bought.  Expensive for shipping with that much weight?

11 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I need to do the same and about the same weight you bought.  Expensive for shipping with that much weight?

I wondered the same thing. Just check, shipping is free. 

• Like 1

In the process of upgrading subwoofer and amp for sub and cabin speakers to exile ,  gator step on front bow rear deck and walk through and considering tinting windows. Hoping weather breaks in the next few weeks.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jwl019 said:

https://www.leadwake.com/collections/frontpage

Ordered 300# total during the Black Friday sale. Wasn't a huge discount, but was going to buy some anyway for the bow.

I figure 50# behind each bow speaker (100# total) will help a lot.  The other 200#, I will play with to see where I need them. Possibly 50-100# behind the sub and watchers seat compartment should do me.  I want to put it somewhere and leave it basically.

This is exactly what I did.  50# behind each speaker, 50# behind the sub and 50# as far forward as I could get it in the observers compartment.  I have another 100# (300# total) that I will experiment with and move around where I see fit.  Haven’t gotten it out on the water yet, but excited to see how it works out. 

I pulled all my decals on the side of boat to do a solid cut/polish/wax which I've been neglecting. I plan on getting the 2015 "WAKESETER" decals.  I will prolly run it nekkid for the summer.  Boat goes to the stereo shop on Friday to replace a bad Exile javelin and get all tuned up again. I replaced my ARC 300.4 with an Exile 30.2 to match my javelin. I also replaced 2 sets of my stock RF 6.5's with exiles. Will prolly do the other two sets while boat is in shop.  I'm also really hoping to install my bow pump. It's been sitting in a box since Christmas 2017. So much to do, so little time. 

1.Powder coating the tower, windshield and misc trim.

2. Tinting windshield

3. Complete new Exile sound system, tower speakers & batteries

4. DIY surf system

5. Add on rear ballast bags & pumps

6. Overhead surf racks

7. New Gatorstep flooring

7. LED lighting throughout

8. New motor mounts

Ok that list might take me to next year, but I think I can get most of it done this year.  We will see.

• Like 1
On 3/2/2019 at 12:01 AM, SCMike said:

This is exactly what I did.  50# behind each speaker, 50# behind the sub and 50# as far forward as I could get it in the observers compartment.  I have another 100# (300# total) that I will experiment with and move around where I see fit.  Haven’t gotten it out on the water yet, but excited to see how it works out. 

This is genius.  You guys just unscrew the bow speakers and cram a 50# lead wake bag in there?  No concerns on it pulling wires out or it sliding around in there?  I hate bow bags so usually put weight in the walkway.  But this idea is great to get more weight up there permanently.