Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Your Winter Repairs/Upgrades/Add-ons

hawaiianstyln

Curious to hear (and see - pics) your winter project upgrades, Add-ons or Repairs.  About another month before I hop in that drysuit.  Wouldn't mind seeing your list or pics of things you did, it might give me ideas before the season starts.

Me:

1. 5 battery project upgrade
  2. Repaired - milky oil Cracked Manifold riser
  3. While dealing with milky oil I decided to do an intake manifold gasket job
  4. Stereo JBL black box delete - now Bluetooth only
  5. DBelectrical 220 amp Alternator upgrade and wiring
  6. Replaced all old Wire Loom with new in engine compartment - cosmetic appearance
  7. wanting to add some more internal LED lighting within the next several weeks

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Nothing really on my boat but running some wiring for a compressor outlet. 

That's because you probably already have all the upgrades :) :)  We are trying to catchup to you amigo.

11 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

That's because you probably already have all the upgrades :) :)  We are trying to catchup to you amigo.

Nah, my boat is pretty stock.  Only things I've really added to it is an onboard charger and a Sirius module on the stock radio.

• Like 1

I'll play...

• Install Go Surf Assist
  • Replace rear PNP 500's with 1100s
  • Swap out old Alpine head unit with Wetsounds MC-1 and TR1
  • Install Fresh Air Exhaust
  • Install GatorStep on Bow and Rear Deck

A couple more weeks and I'll pull the boat back to the house to get started.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, browneye253 said:
  • Install GatorStep on Bow and Rear Deck

ahhhh, this is what I was going to do, rear deck and walk thru on the rear lockers.  10 years old it needs to be replaced!

2010 LSV

• 1235 to 2419 prop
  • Heater behind cooler with recirc pump. 3 ports, one at captain, one pull out by heater, one pullout in gunwale cup holder 
  • FAE
  • MC-1 and Sirius module 
  • Wetsounds  6x9 tower swap-all 4
  • 10" Wetsounds Sub with Polk P1000 amp
  • In process of changing all Rockford Inboat Speakers to something else. 

Was going with Polk db651 but I've only found ONE set that are actually silver. Everything else is gold. So I don't know what I'm going to go with now. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Was going with Polk db651 but I've only found ONE set that are actually silver. Everything else is gold. So I don't know what I'm going to go with now. 

I thought the Polk slim mounts were still black woofer.  That gold looks like crap I think

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-AUDIO-DB651s-6-5-6-1-2-INCH-2WAY-CAR-BOAT-MARINE-AUDIO-SLIM-MOUNT-SPEAKERS/323487627622?epid=97172553&hash=item4b515d7966:g:iDEAAOSwO2hbujr2:rk:20:pf:0

oops that link shows no availability on the product.  Either way I found some on Amazon that have the gray woofer instead of gold.

14 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

oops that link shows no availability on the product.  Either way I found some on Amazon that have the gray woofer instead of gold.

Yeah, you'd think so. Until you message them. I ordered some "silver" ones and they came gold. Good luck finding early production ones. I just got lucky on my first set.
I called Polk, 2010-2013 were silver. 2013-End of production were gold. 
I asked the guy why, he said he asked his dad, the engineer on it, "because we wanted to." Great too bad they're ugly, as you said. 
Didn't mean to hijack this at all! 

Edited by Ryan1776
  • Like 1

2011 Vride 21

1.  Modified bow seat base for under seat ballast sac. (No bow mls in vride)

2.  Integrated bow sac and coffin sac on reversible pumps.

3.  Added 500 lbs lead to supplement loss of bow bag weight when under seat.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ucllqt5

4.  GSA install and docking lights scheduled for March 18th!

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

2010 LSV

• 1235 to 2419 prop
  • Heater behind cooler with recirc pump. 3 ports, one at captain, one pull out by heater, one pullout in gunwale cup holder 
  • FAE
  • MC-1 and Sirius module 
  • Wetsounds  6x9 tower swap-all 4
  • 10" Wetsounds Sub with Polk P1000 amp
  • In process of changing all Rockford Inboat Speakers to something else. 

I think you will love that new prop. I switched from 1235 to 2419 last year.  Best upgrade I've done to the boat.  Night and day difference for heavy ballast with my base motor (5.7) at 3000ft.  Can't believe I lived without it!

Edited by bovhica
3 minutes ago, bovhica said:

I think you will love that new prop. I switched from 1235 to 2419 last year.  Best upgrade I've done to the boat.  Night and day difference for heavy ballast with my base motor (5.7) at 3000ft.  Can't believe I lived without it!

Thanks man! I sure hope so! How much top end did you lose? Not screaming too much at wakeboard speed? 
I have all MLS full (1350) and then approx 750 starboard side and 250 or so port side and I'm at WOT and it can barely make it to 11mph it's always full throttle. I know I need some more bow weight, but even adding another 400 bag didn't help much. 

Edited by Ryan1776
1 minute ago, Ryan1776 said:

Thanks man! I sure hope so! How much top end did you lose? Not screaming too much at wakeboard speed? 
I have all MLS full (1350) and then approx 750 starboard side and 250 or so port side and I'm at WOT and it can barely make it to 11mph it's always full throttle. I know I need some more bow weight, but even adding another 400 bag didn't help much. 

You will wonder why you didn't get this prop sooner!  Surf fully loaded 3400 lbs water ballast and average crew, floating wedge deployed, wake shaper and boat gets right up to 12 mph @ 3300 rpms.  11 mph was 3200 rpms.  About 100 to 200 more than 1235.  Wakeboard with rear hard tanks drained (400 lbs less, so 3000 total water ballast and wedge down) 20 mph was 3600 and 22 mph was 3700.  It took about 18 seconds to get to 20, but I'm at 3000 ft and had an average crew but average weight per person was over 200lbs.  I also noticed full economy much better when surfing.  Motor doesn't struggle as much and bow rise came down a bit.  Top end at 5000 rpm WOT no ballast I went from 40 mph to 37 mph at 3000ft.

@Ryan1776 ..... and yes, definitely need bow weight to see same type results.  I was running 500 center and 750 bag up front (I dont have bow tank).  I've added lead to get another 200 to 500 up front this year.  I just need to experiment with the best configuration.

Here is a thread I started when I made the switch if you are interested in more detail:

Edited by bovhica

Done:

FAE

Metal Carport for storage

Built amp rack, mounted amps and prewired everything, new amp for tower speakers

new starter

Still to do:

Install and finish wiring Amp rack

Install new tower and cabin speakers

Wire new zone control 

New transom decal

Install new pocket in old head unit location under arm rest

pull hard tanks and install wakemakers tank buster kits / bags

I better get busy 😂

Edited by dkscism
  • Like 2

Done:

Continuously wishing or summer. 

Need to do:

-Keep wishing for summer 

-Buy new boat... might be next winter...lol

-Install wetsounds 420 and tune stereo 

-Install GSA tabs:biggrin:

-Full spring wax and sealant

-Replace pnp bags(warranty)

• Like 3

Our season is starting already , my yard is green and spring annual planting already done 

Gator step the floor installed 

1235 to 2315

heater Y installed 

corrected power and ground wiring  flaws from last spring stereo install for sound and rgb 

Rebuilding/recovering the tranny step cushion-

wanted to get rid of bolster and piping fir longer wear snd no seem splitting at piping , had to source all of my factory vinyl fir 3 of 4 colors (using two colors for this project -have extra yards of all except grainy black )

also had to source the factory two piece foam to replace the partial 3 piece bolster and the partial two piece rest of cushion as one full cushion with no foam seems. we walk on it slot and could show that separation under the one piece vinyl snd I didn’t want to shave bolster snd still have 2 separate pieces 

this is still st upholsterer waiting on foam next week 

big shout out to Jerald Connoley snd James Zisk st Rambo Marine for patiently sourcing 3 times all of my changing needs in OEM material 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1

@granddaddy55 

Post pictures when interior is done!  I'd like to see how it turns out.

Wish our grass was green.  My yard was white this morning.😡

So you decided to go with the 2315?  I remember you asking about the 2419 that I installed in July.  If you are moving from the stock prop or even the 1235 (can't remember which prop you were running) you will love it for heavy ballast.  I considered both 2315 and 2419.... went with 2419, but I'm at elevation and wanted as much "low end" as I could get.  If I was at sea level, I'd probably have gone 2315 or 2313.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, bovhica said:

@granddaddy55 

Post pictures when interior is done!  I'd like to see how it turns out.

Wish our grass was green.  My yard was white this morning.😡

So you decided to go with the 2315?  I remember you asking about the 2419 that I installed in July.  If you are moving from the stock prop or even the 1235 (can't remember which prop you were running) you will love it for heavy ballast.  I considered both 2315 and 2419.... went with 2419, but I'm at elevation and wanted as much "low end" as I could get.  If I was at sea level, I'd probably have gone 2315 or 2313.

1235 to 2315 and someone gave me a spare 945 or 2419 equivalent 

I’ve installed a 4 port heater and circ pump.

Yet to do is install new head unit, measure and order bimini top, apply new domed registration #’s and Malibu logo. 

If anyone who installed fae wants to sell a set of turn downs in good condition please send me a pm. I’d be interested in buying a pair. 

• Like 2

Other than adding the Navionics maps and XM radio, I got my front Storage area expansion project done. Mowed yard today for 2nd time in February. Will be hitting water in a few weeks. Need to get paint sealant on but waiting to get boat back from dealer and warranty punch list items taken care of.image.thumb.png.7e4f6e378f497a9a19a3eaa01f6f8514.pngimage.thumb.png.d8ab9bd4dba154772b628cd87367ff9b.png

• Like 1

You, my friend, suck.  I wish I was mowing and boating.  Instead I have 1” think ice near my dock with 5” of snow forecasted for the weekend.  It has been an unusually brutal winter.  

8FAC2BFD-7186-483D-AB9D-2FE788579468.jpeg

I got an ACME 541 installed and have a pile of parts I need to get installed....trailer winch, 4 new Kicker speakers, new kicker amp, new head unit, Malibu trailer guide pads.

We got record snow this winter and record cold temps the next week.....May can't get here fast enough!

• Like 3