Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring on Blue Sea Switch?

EOS

Could someone help me understand how to wire up my 1 2 both off switch?  Do I basically wire up everything to the common then wire the positive of battery A to 1 and battery B to 2?

So my boat has a pretty big stereo also, around 4k watts.  I'm wondering what's the best way to wire it up with the switch.  It has always been direct wired from one bank, can the switch handle it wired through the common?

16 minutes ago, EOS said:

Do I basically wire up everything to the common then wire the positive of battery A to 1 and battery B to 2?

This is the most ideal manor in which to wire this style switch

17 minutes ago, EOS said:

can the switch handle it wired through the common?

Use the switch brand/model to look up its specs. Just note, it will be DC amps,  so you'll need to calculate the potential draw. 

So after looking Blue Seas makes a standard 4 position switch with 350 continuous amps and a HD model at 500 amps.  I would assume I would need the grey HD model having everything including stereo hooked up to common.  The other problem I see is getting all the connections hooked up to the common, would a distribution block be a good idea then run some 0/2 gauge wire to it? I imagine this would involve another fuse to the distribution block?

No need to assume, you can make a very close estimate to the potential load passing through the switch. Too many lugs can be a issue, and a BUS bar or remote stud can reduce the number of cables.