Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What goes where? (Storage Compartments)

eubanks

5 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

great thread.  I thought i thought about this stuff too much until i saw the diagram!

Where do you guys put your cover?!?  I assume everyone providing input trailers?  The cover and fenders are a huge space suck for those that rack store or tie up at restaurants and such.

Cover goes on the dock. I keep my boat at my parent's place on a hoist.

1 hour ago, eubanks said:

Ha!  I can overthink it with the best of them!  It’s actually interesting to me how differently people use the storage compartments and how few use the rear lockers. We’ve always kept wet vests back there. It will be fun having so much more storage in this boat. The biggest thing is find a place for the tube that isn’t keeping the rear PNP bags from filling. 

Replace the tube with zup boards and put them in the bimini.  Our tube hasn’t been out in two seasons now.  Kids love the zups.  

7B2D6031-79E1-4531-A42F-B3243B9F0609.jpeg

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 3
Just now, hethj7 said:

Replace the tube with zip boards and put them in the Bimini.  Our tube hasn’t been out in two seasons now.  Kids love the zups.  

7B2D6031-79E1-4531-A42F-B3243B9F0609.jpeg

Too funny, I was contemplating getting a 2nd ZUP this year because my kids are starting to get more time behind the boat than me... :whistle:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I rack store, cover goes in the back of whatever vehicle we drove down there. Fenders for me go in 3 or 5 with life vests. I keep a couple blow up Exile balls deflated in case I need more fenders or we are gonna tie up. 

I guess I should walk the cover back up to the truck....  #Lazy :whistle:

So just looked up the Exile balls.  Do they blow up with a pump?  How do they attach?  I don't believe you without photos...  :biggrin:

11 hours ago, hethj7 said:

We have 3 at times - one is actually the KC Wake the World board and it rotates between volunteers through the year.  We own two ourselves.  Grandparents love them as well!

I have been interested in getting my son (6 yrs old) and my daughter (4 yrs old) one.  Not sure if I am inept at looking for old threads but I can't find any info on the site.  It seems you guys are fans?  Do your kids stand on them, too?

5 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

So just looked up the Exile balls.  Do they blow up with a pump?  How do they attach?  I don't believe you without photos...  :biggrin:

I just blow them up with my mouth. I supposse you could use a pump if you have a tip smaller than your typical snap on boston valve tube fitting.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:58 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

I have been interested in getting my son (6 yrs old) and my daughter (4 yrs old) one.  Not sure if I am inept at looking for old threads but I can't find any info on the site.  It seems you guys are fans?  Do your kids stand on them, too?

I have a zup and my kids love them.  My oldest daughter stands in it all the time. 

My wife and kids also love when I jump on the zup and give them a comedy show. I bring out my old kneeboarding days and do 360’s jumps. Etc.  I’ll then stand up on it and try the same.  Always ends in some epic falls which causes the whole boat to erupt in laughter. 

On 2/28/2019 at 6:56 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

Yup, I’ve got a small hand pump I keep on the boat. Takes under 60 seconds. 

Edited by Pnwrider
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, eubanks said:

Boat Storage.jpg

In our 2018 A24 we have different storage areas than the 23LSV. 

1-2. N/A

3. Nothing really/maybe a wet life jacket on top of full ballast

4. Wet life jackets/wet square floaty things

5. Nothing really/maybe a wet surf rope on top of full ballast

6. Exile Buoys(we keep them inflated)/docking lines

6a. Behind captains chair-anchor(lost it last year)/unused ropes/extra docking lines

6b. On top of the seat just behind the captains chair-soft sided cooler for drinks/cold food

6c. On the floor just behind the captains chair-small bag with snacks in it

7-8. Dry towels/shoes/clothes/also keep square floaty things under all of that

9. Tools/cleaning supplies/spot light/first aid

10. Phone/wallets/sunglasses/sunscreen/keys/koozies 

11. Life jackets/oar/fire extinguisher 

12. N/A

Currently don't have a solution for a trash can in our boat. We usually just throw the trash in the side pocket of our soft sided coolers. 

I saw others mention a few things. Fishing stuff-we don't fish. Backpacks/purses-those are usually left in the car or at the house. Tubes/inflatable mat-we don't have any of that. Boards-always in a rack or in the bimini. Cover-we take ours off in the morning, roll it up and throw it on our dock and it sits there til we cover it in the evening.

Edited by CBray4

1/2 for me is going to be the docking ropes, soft brush, dish soap and sand spike to help keep crud out of the boat. The anchors will be underneath those trays on the deck on both sides for easy access. 4 will be the wb and surf ropes and any wet jackets. 3/5 for the various floaties that the pnp will have no trouble reducing. 6 will be extra water and drinks which we keep in the 24 ct stackable plastic soft drink racks. Those things have been invaluable for that and anything else we want to keep dry and off of the deck. 7/8/9 have normally been the extra jackets, first aid box(es), when the GB happens the BABz will go in there also. With the batteries being moved the extra towels and coats in dry bags will find their way in there as well along with the tool box. 11 will probably turn into the extra trash can holder. I put a new trash can in my '10 before I sold it and kept the old memory filled "stickered up can" to use on the '19. I saw straight away that the new trash can was going to be woefully inadequate! Not too encourage about the walk through partition being under the bow cushion, so I will probably make a vertical storage guide to hold it inside its cover for it in 11 as well. We will also keep a clothes basket or milk crate in there for the 'working towels" and the wife's purse/tool bag on top of it all.  I lost a lot of room in the glove box compared to my '10, so registration and any phone not in use is about all it will hold. 12 is going to turn into a 19/20 winter project to maximize storage space. I am thinking a top of sub woofer wall to wall HDPE shelf for some dryish storage of some sort.

Edited by wdr
sp
1 hour ago, CBray4 said:

In our 2018 A24 we have different storage areas than the 23LSV. 

1-2. N/A

3. Nothing really/maybe a wet life jacket on top of full ballast

4. Wet life jackets/wet square floaty things

5. Nothing really/maybe a wet surf rope on top of full ballast

6. Exile Buoys(we keep them inflated)/docking lines

6a. Behind captains chair-anchor(lost it last year)/unused ropes/extra docking lines

6b. On top of the seat just behind the captains chair-soft sided cooler for drinks/cold food

6c. On the floor just behind the captains chair-small bag with snacks in it

7-8. Dry towels/shoes/clothes/also keep square floaty things under all of that

9. Tools/cleaning supplies/spot light/first aid

10. Phone/wallets/sunglasses/sunscreen/keys/koozies 

11. Life jackets/oar/fire extinguisher 

12. N/A

Currently don't have a solution for a trash can in our boat. We usually just throw the trash in the side pocket of our soft sided coolers. 

I saw others mention a few things. Fishing stuff-we don't fish. Backpacks/purses-those are usually left in the car or at the house. Tubes/inflatable mat-we don't have any of that. Boards-always in a rack or in the bimini. Cover-we take ours off in the morning, roll it up and throw it on our dock and it sits there til we cover it in the evening.

In our 18 A24, I placed a small office style trash can behind the observer seat right next to the amps.  It worked out well this last summer.

Just now, Leatherneck33 said:

In our 18 A24, I placed a small office style trash can behind the observer seat right next to the amps.  It worked out well this last summer.

Good suggestion. I was thinking of cutting out the back of the stupid cubby near the cup holders and somehow putting a trash can under that. That cubby is useless on our boat. 

• Like 1

After you've gone camping in your boat with a dozen people and 80 extra gallons of gas for 4-5 days it seems like there is tons of room for a normal day at the lake.

On a normal day we put ropes in 4, anchor, bumpers, and cooler in six, shoes in the car, and everything else under the glovebox. Most of the rest of the compartments are full of ballast!

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2019 at 1:24 AM, SCMike said:

I have a zup and my kids love them.  My oldest daughter stands in it all the time. 

My wife and kids also love when I jump on the zup and give them a comedy show. I bring out my old kneeboarding days and do 360’s jumps. Etc.  I’ll then stand up on it and try the same.  Always ends in some epic falls which causes the whole boat to erupt in laughter. 

What Zups do the kids like? Mine are 3 and 4

Just want to thank the OP for this. Our new, post-shutdown LSV23 arrived at the dealer Thursday (5/13/20). This is a big help for a LSV newbie to organize. Gonna print copies. Reminds me of the stuff I need to buy!!  Thx

My titles are a bit different. For 2016 25 LSV.

1 - box anchor, anchor buddy, other extra lines, deflated babz

2 - Cooler & trash can

3 - Guest bags

4 - Shoe bag (like prison, put shoes in bag or stay on the dock, your choice)

5 - Lunch cooler bag for kids (thanks @Leatherneck33)

6 - Docking lines in tray to right of helm seat 

7 - kids life jackets

8,9 - life jackets and skis 

9,10 - bags on top of jackets and skis, for easy access when seats are flipped up 

11 - fenders (access from 10)

12 - spare parts, vacuum, air pump, fire extinguishers, towels, bags, blankets, rags bag for quick cleanups

13 - glovebox with a bunch of ziplock bags for food bars, tools, sunglasses, extra hat etc

14 - bling sauce & scrub brushes - saved my A$$ this past weekend when wife's wrap bled through 

15 - sand spike 

2016-Malibu_25LSV_studio-ABOVE_lowres 2.jpg

Edited by Raleigh
  • 1 year later...

@wdr

I like your idea about creating better storage behind the starboard bow seat above the sub.

did you do this project, if yes any pictures and comments on how it is working out.

Cheers,

I was originally going to but decided against it. It is normally just my wife and I so that little area there is big enough for smaller front entry/floor mat towels a scrub brush and a couple micro fibers to wipe down the windows or the hull for water spots. I did install a plastic box to keep the towels off the bottom and dry. That box is terrible leaky when you get water over the bow. My normal 850 Sumo up front and my wife’s “damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead” recover the rider driving style can fill the bow pretty quick. I was thinking of doing what @dalt1 did but passed.

• Haha 1
On 1/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, Junglecrew said:

@wdr

I like your idea about creating better storage behind the starboard bow seat above the sub.

did you do this project, if yes any pictures and comments on how it is working out.

Cheers,

I did it 2 years ago on my 18 and it is the perfect place for my anchors. I keep my box and collapsible grapple both in there. No dragging it through the boat from one of the other storage areas to drop from the bow.image.png.0790dca5655a4b00972e55cdccf93064.pngimage.png.54c3246b4a45baec6a74f0b67fa2500e.png

On 1/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, Junglecrew said:

@wdr

Cheers,

If you have the factory heater, you can't do this as the heater is above the sub box. I mounted my heater in front and below my sub box to accommodate this storage mod.image.png.96310ff8769087272e0af9f44dbb3b13.png

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, eubanks said:

Upgrading from a 2005 23LSV to a 2019 23LSV sure is bringing with it a ton of new storage options!  We've been trying to think about where to put everything to start off with a clean and organized boat.  I thought it would be interesting to see where you guys put what gear in the boat.  Here is my guess on paper where things might go:

1-2: Flip flops and shoes

3: Vests

4 (Warming tray): Ropes, handles, 1-2 vests

5: Tube, inflatable mat

6: Tool kit, first aid kit, spot light, box anchor, dock lines (obviously trash can and cooler here too).  What about right behind the driver's seat?

7: ???  Towels, boards, fishing poles (that's right!), fishing tackle

8: ???

9: Bumpers (use rarely), anchor?

10 (Glove box): Wallets, keys, tube plugs, fins, phones, cables, etc.

11: Bags, backpacks, purses, food

12: ??? Not very big so perhaps a couple of docking lines?

Boat Storage.jpg

1-2:  Pretty much useless for anything that you want to be dry.  We actually keep some biodegradable dish soap to cover the paradise pad and turn it into a slip and slide for the kids.  

3-5, PNP Ballast Bags

4.  Board Bags for taking boards from boat to car.  As stated by others, this area gets pretty wet too, so whatever you put here will be wet.

11.  This is a pass through compartment, so we store our life jackets (the kind the coast guard requires for emergencies, not the ones we use to surf) and I also put the anchor and anchor lines in there so it can be accessed from bow.  You just need to be careful of the amps when placing the anchor.

12.  Totally useless, never used it....might be good for sunblock or something.

10.  Manual, keys, sunglasses, knife, small tools....passenger's phones.  Electric pump for inflating paradise pad.

6.  We keep our paradise pad here when deflated.  We don't use the factory cooler or trash can, which makes this a great spot for the pad.  In the fore portion we keep surf and wake lines.  Fold up the seat and put towels and cooler there, quick access but also protected from getting wet.

7.  Vests we use, hand pump for paradise pad, bumpers, shore spike anchor.  Dock lines, spare dock lines.  

8.  See 7

9.  We put the boat cover and the poles underneath the seat here when boating.  Room for towels and other important to keep dry items behind the seats.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone figure out a good approach for dry food storage in area 6 located in the initial pic?  

We typically board the boat around 10AM and get off the lake around 7-8PM. With teenagers and kids onboard, our “pantry” is pretty popular. Looking for an easy drop and go storage approach. 

2022 23 LSV for reference. 

Edited by NMMalibuFamily