Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What goes where? (Storage Compartments)

eubanks

Upgrading from a 2005 23LSV to a 2019 23LSV sure is bringing with it a ton of new storage options!  We've been trying to think about where to put everything to start off with a clean and organized boat.  I thought it would be interesting to see where you guys put what gear in the boat.  Here is my guess on paper where things might go:

1-2: Flip flops and shoes

3: Vests

4 (Warming tray): Ropes, handles, 1-2 vests

5: Tube, inflatable mat

6: Tool kit, first aid kit, spot light, box anchor, dock lines (obviously trash can and cooler here too).  What about right behind the driver's seat?

7: ???  Towels, boards, fishing poles (that's right!), fishing tackle

8: ???

9: Bumpers (use rarely), anchor?

10 (Glove box): Wallets, keys, tube plugs, fins, phones, cables, etc.

11: Bags, backpacks, purses, food

12: ??? Not very big so perhaps a couple of docking lines?

Boat Storage.jpg

Edited by eubanks

1 - Boot Spooge

2 - Extra lengths of line for the ski ropes

3 - Bow bag when not used and folded up

4 - Nothing really

5 - Tube bag when we have it with us.

6 - Trash Can, All the life vests

7 - Boards and Skis

8 - Bumpers, Tool-Box, Anchor, First Aid Kit, Emergency Jump-Start

9 - Batteries

10 - Stuff everyone keeps forgetting to take home with them

11 - Towels, Throw Cushion, Fire Extinguisher

12 - Sun Block, Wet Wipes, Spare hats and glasses

I'll add one, in the pockets along and behind the driver's seat - Dock Lines, Binoculars, Flash Light

I leave all my ropes attached to the tower and in the bimini storage pockets.  Though that might not work for those that aren't storing at the lake.

Edited by Slurpee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, TallRedRider said:

I thought towels should go in the warming tray above the motor without question.  

I like that idea.  Warm and easily accessible before bringing your wet self in the boat.

14 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I thought towels should go in the warming tray above the motor without question.  

We did that for a while.  They get wet.  Also, the kids don't think they need a towel till we're up on plain and cruising and the wind cools them off.  Then it's a pain to open up those rear sun deck panels and get them out.  Lost a couple in the slipstream once.  So now we have them where we do.  Plus the waste heat from the amps warm them up reasonably well. :)

Edited by Slurpee

That warming tray does great keeping wet suits and rash shirts , wet wetsuits and tops,  and jackets warm to put on wet for second or later sess. if it’s cool enough it gives you 30 seconds to a minute where that wet stuff isn’t chilly putting it back on, I leave the wet suit and jacket in there if I put on wet clothes  so each goes on wet/warm for each layer

i usually  change to dry clothes for each sess snd put on the warm/wet life jacket, I’m only chilly without wet suit when I first get in, not from the start of putting on my wet clothes 

cant justify the cost of two good dry suits for me snd wife with our short winter and that tray really helps 

Edited by granddaddy55
14 hours ago, eubanks said:

1-2: Flip flops and shoes - Sounds good, (I don't have those compartments)

3: Ballast bag

4 (Warming tray): Ropes & handles and dock lines

5: Ballast bag, 2 bumpers that I almost never use because I don't tie up to other boats

6: Tub with divers knife, mask, snorkel, extra drain plugs, some other random small stuff. Vests we actually use

7: Paddle, boat brush, 2 bags of life jackets

8: extra ballast bags and pump. I don't really use this anymore with my 18, so I might move that stuff somewhere else.

9: Box anchor and sand spike

10 (Glove box): Wallets, keys, tube plugs, fins, phones, cables, operator manual.

11: Spare prop with tools, bucket with cleaning supplies, lead bags (200lbs), throw cushion, wind screen. 4 TMC towels sit on top of the cleaning supply bucket. If we have bags, we usually tuck them in here as well, or just set them behind the drivers seat if the crew is small.

12. I don't have that

We rarely have shoes in the boat. Typically they are left on the dock. If we do have them, I slip them under the middle rear seat

Boat Storage.jpg

1-2: n/a

3: ballast bags

4 (Warming tray): Ropes, handles, 1-2 vests

5: ballast bags

6: life jackets, water saddles, deflated bumpers, and water toys for the kids.  The area right  behind the driver is used for small soft bag coolers (usually for food)

7: tube, slalom ski, water saddles

8: same as 7

9: anchor, first aid kit, skier down flag, trash can

10 (Glove box): Wallets, keys, tube plugs, fins, phones, cables, etc.

11: Bags, backpacks, purses, fishing gear, toolbox, 200lbs of lead

12: n/a

Shoes go under the wake view seat

We use a yeti style cooler for drinks that sits in the walkway to the helm.  Also works great for standing on to get surfboards off the top of the bimini. 

Edited by Leatherneck33
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

We did that for a while.  They get wet.  Also, the kids don't think they need a towel till we're up on plain and cruising and the wind cools them off.  Then it's a pain to open up those rear sun deck panels and get them out.  Lost a couple in the slipstream once.  So now we have them where we do.  Plus the waste heat from the amps warm them up reasonably well. :)

+1 Had towels there once went to dry off found soaking wet towels. I store my tow ropes there now.

37 minutes ago, Leatherneck33 said:

Shoes go under the wake view seat

We use a yeti style cooler for drinks that sits in the walkway to the helm.  Also works great for standing on to get surfboards off the top of the bimini. 

I didn't think about that.  We throw the sandles and shoes in the tray below the middle rear bench seat above the tranny.  We also use a Yeti Roadie coolerin the walkthru to the helm.  After slipping on it once I put a gatorstep pad on top of it.

1 Sandbar trash can

2 ropes, and Sandbar trash can

6+7 tons of life jackets

4 squirt guns 

8 cleaning supplies bucket

Shoes leave em on dock unless going out to eat, I hate shoes on boat always in way! Pointless! Ha

1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

I didn't think about that.  We throw the sandles and shoes in the tray below the middle rear bench seat above the tranny.  We also use a Yeti Roadie coolerin the walkthru to the helm.  After slipping on it once I put a gatorstep pad on top of it.

Same on the cooler, I had a custom gatorstep top put on the cooler that matches the boat.

This is interesting.

Seat 9 is such a pain. I hide stuff under there that is rarely needed (I.e., tool box, throw cushion, water tight container with important papers/maps). I'm guessing the folks that put anchors in there rarely use them. That would be a huge PIA for me, plus I seem to get a little standing water in that area that I have to wipe out.

Seat 6 - we rarely keep the factory cooler in the boat unless we are on vacation, so that's where I keep the small box anchor and extra jackets. Ropes, air pump, and black balls live forward of that where it's easy to grab by raising the wake view seat directly behind driver.

Seat 2 - baby box anchor with anchor buddy. 

Seat 1 - kids toys 

We love our RTIC soft side 40 and it lives on the seat directly behind the driver. Pic of cooler and cooler invader following. LOL

image.jpeg

Edited by G Spot

@G Spot Great pic!  Interesting thought on the standard cooler. Anybody else use it?  I figured it would be nice to take home each trip and have it loaded up ready to go from the house. I always hated transferring stuff from our cooler into the permanent cooler in our 2005. 

The biggest thing I’ve got to figure out is where to relocate life jackets from 3 and tubes from 5. I had bags plumbed into my old boat and they would hardly fill with all the weight sitting on top of them.  Guess I don’t like the idea of putting wet stuff anywhere but the rear compartments, but maybe 6 and 7 will work  

@eubanks Thanks. Rodrigo took that pic last time he was in my boat. Fun surprise.

We don't really keep anything in 3 or 5. If it's dry jackets I'd make space in 6 or 11 if you don't plan to use them. I usually slide the adult wet jackets under the wakebench seat.

You'll figure it out. Making it your own is half the fun!

Gary

21 minutes ago, eubanks said:

@G Spot Great pic!  Interesting thought on the standard cooler. Anybody else use it?  I figured it would be nice to take home each trip and have it loaded up ready to go from the house. I always hated transferring stuff from our cooler into the permanent cooler in our 2005. 

The biggest thing I’ve got to figure out is where to relocate life jackets from 3 and tubes from 5. I had bags plumbed into my old boat and they would hardly fill with all the weight sitting on top of them.  Guess I don’t like the idea of putting wet stuff anywhere but the rear compartments, but maybe 6 and 7 will work  

I use the cooler, the only thing about it I don’t like is no drain plug. Would be easy enough to put one in and maybe I’ll add that to my to do list now that I think about it! 

I keep my tube under 7. I keep dry jackets in 3 and wet jackets in 5 or vice versa depending on what gets thrown where. With The depth under 7, 8, 9, etc you might be surprised how much stuff you can fit in there. On my 03 we always felt cramped and routinely had backpacks all over the floor or stuffed to the ceiling of the observer compartment. My 18 never seems to run out of space.

• Like 2

@G Spot Great idea on box anchor in two!  Anyone know if a small box anchor would fit there?  Do you still drag it up to the bow to tie off or just tie off to the transom?

This is where the MXZ series gets points - that from locker where you can stash an anchor.  

4 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

@G Spot Great idea on box anchor in two!  Anyone know if a small box anchor would fit there?  Do you still drag it up to the bow to tie off or just tie off to the transom?

This is where the MXZ series gets points - that from locker where you can stash an anchor.  

No, it’s too big unfortunately and probably too heavy for that plastic.  Luckily on my home lake the baby is usually enough given the shallow, muddy bottom. 

We frequently just anchor from the back. 

great thread.  I thought i thought about this stuff too much until i saw the diagram!

Where do you guys put your cover?!?  I assume everyone providing input trailers?  The cover and fenders are a huge space suck for those that rack store or tie up at restaurants and such.

Ha!  I can overthink it with the best of them!  It’s actually interesting to me how differently people use the storage compartments and how few use the rear lockers. We’ve always kept wet vests back there. It will be fun having so much more storage in this boat. The biggest thing is find a place for the tube that isn’t keeping the rear PNP bags from filling. 

5 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Where do you guys put your cover?!?  I assume everyone providing input trailers?  The cover and fenders are a huge space suck for those that rack store or tie up at restaurants and such.

I rack store, cover goes in the back of whatever vehicle we drove down there. Fenders for me go in 3 or 5 with life vests. I keep a couple blow up Exile balls deflated in case I need more fenders or we are gonna tie up. 

15 hours ago, G Spot said:

No, it’s too big unfortunately and probably too heavy for that plastic.  Luckily on my home lake the baby is usually enough given the shallow, muddy bottom. 

We frequently just anchor from the back. 

My Box Anchor in 12 but had to modify to make that happen. All done now.image.thumb.png.81a317b81dcb87f0d59e48d1c37cb046.pngimage.thumb.png.94780120333690d6846daae0fcff9f8b.png

6 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

I rack store, cover goes in the back of whatever vehicle we drove down there. Fenders for me go in 3 or 5 with life vests. I keep a couple blow up Exile balls deflated in case I need more fenders or we are gonna tie up. 

Agreed.  Cover stays in the back of the truck or at the dock and fenders have been replaced by exile balls.