Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory Wiring - Series or Parallel?

Sessionable

In my '14 23LSV, I'm planning some springtime stereo upgrades, but I don't have the boat near me during the winter.

For the 8 RF cabin speakers attached to the 4 channel RF amp, is each pair connected to its channel through series or parallel from the factory?

Most likely parallel. 

2 In parallel, with say 4ohms impediance will cut the load in half at the amp. So the amp will see 2ohms. Which of course will allow a higher output per channel.  Obviously that output will be divided in half. 

So if you had 100watts per channel at 2ohm load and you have two 4ohm speakers in parallel. Each speaker would receive 50 watts each. 

Edited by Ryan1776
4 minutes ago, MLA said:

Parallel actually doubles the load. 

Wait what? Parallel cuts the impedance in half. (In this instance of 2 speakers per channel)

“If more than 2 Speakers are connected in Parallel, so long as they are all the same impedance then the net impedance of the load is equal to the impedance of the one Speaker divided by the total number of Speakers.”

Two speakers at 4ohm 

2 speakers 

4/2=2ohm

Edited by Ryan1776
16 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Wait what? Parallel cuts the impedance in half. (In this instance of 2 speakers per channel)

“If more than 2 Speakers are connected in Parallel, so long as they are all the same impedance then the net impedance of the load is equal to the impedance of the one Speaker divided by the total number of Speakers.”

Two speakers at 4ohm 

2 speakers 

4/2=2ohm

While this is all true, its not what I stated. When impedance goes down at the amp, the amp "sees" it as a higher load. So a 2 ohm load is double the load of a 4 ohm. Series would create a lighter load. 

Ok so if it's a P400X4 the power ratings are listed at:

50 Watts x 4 @ 4-Ohm 
100 Watts x 4 @ 2-Ohm 
200 Watts x 2 @ 4-Ohm Bridged

So if there are 8 4-ohm speakers.. 2 in parallel per channel.. that's 100w @ 2-ohm per channel... or 50w per speaker...rms..actual is probably higher but do I have the theory right?

5 minutes ago, Sessionable said:

Ok so if it's a P400X4 the power ratings are listed at:

50 Watts x 4 @ 4-Ohm 
100 Watts x 4 @ 2-Ohm 
200 Watts x 2 @ 4-Ohm Bridged

So if there are 8 4-ohm speakers.. 2 in parallel per channel.. that's 100w @ 2-ohm per channel... or 50w per speaker...rms..actual is probably higher but do I have the theory right?

Yes