Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 23 LSV GSA install questions

JohnnyJ

Hi All, 

first time posting, loving the site so far !!!

I was wondering if anyone had installed the gsa on a 04 23 LSV?  I’m planning on buying the kit soon but wanted make sure I wasn’t going to run into any major problems.  Also any hot tips would be greatly appreciated :).

thanks in advance. 

Ryan installed mine.  So I did not run into any major problems. My friends boat shop does install them also and have not heard any concerns on his side. 

Hot tips...

1. I feel a little list adds more lip (I add 300lbs in coffin on surfside)..
  2. When setting up your system for the first time set the tabs to be fully extended and play with wedge to adjust wave, then bring the tabs up one click at a time (my knob has a click between adjustments but I have Gen 1 system installed) and then play with wedge.. repeat until you find the best wave for you... 
  3. I played with above and ballast for a bit as well.. I have a 2010 but here is setup:
    1. All stock MLS full
    2. added 1100 to rear lockers and piggy backed them (I would opt for 910's but they were not available when I installed)
    3. added 300 under coffin seats
    4. I do not have a front tank and built a custom area to accommodate a 1100 fly high bag.
    5. I use wedge to dial wave and depends on size of crew.
    6. I surf from 11.6 to 12 mph  

I spent a lot of time looking at angels of the tabs during installation when in reality it probably didn't matter that much. You don't need much of the tab below the hull to get results. I would have put the actuators closer to the tabs if doing it again but after playing with the different mounting points on the tabs I got working perfect now. I guess what i'm saying is don't get too caught up in the math, just measure a few times before drilling holes and dont look back. Best upgrade you can make for surfing!

1 hour ago, jcon44 said:

I spent a lot of time looking at angels of the tabs during installation when in reality it probably didn't matter that much. You don't need much of the tab below the hull to get results. I would have put the actuators closer to the tabs if doing it again but after playing with the different mounting points on the tabs I got working perfect now. I guess what i'm saying is don't get too caught up in the math, just measure a few times before drilling holes and dont look back. Best upgrade you can make for surfing!

I agree with the angle comment. I think level with the hull would actually do the trick on the 23LSV hull... I found that our best wave(length and push) was with the dial at the minimum angle (up.) 

Also.. note that the angle in the instructions (and the online video) I had were wrong for the 23LSV (And it was impossible to install the tabs to the angles listed.) Ryan provided some new target angles (less aggressive) and they worked great.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.  I will admit that the OCD child in me comes out to play whenever any sort of measurement or angle is involved !!!  I will definitely call Ryan when I go to install.  Is there any difference between buying from GSA or Wakemakers ?

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Awesome, thanks for the advice.  I will admit that the OCD child in me comes out to play whenever any sort of measurement or angle is involved !!!  I will definitely call Ryan when I go to install.  Is there any difference between buying from GSA or Wakemakers ?

From my understanding.. GSA sells direct when they do the install (Ryan).. If they are not doing the install then Wakemakers is the outlet.

5 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

GSA was at a local boat show and I was able to buy directly from them and also got a boat show discount.  Might be worth calling them up and seeing what they can offer.  I was also able to order the stainless steel version that I don't think is available through Wakemakers yet.

Thanks I never even thought of that, we have a boat show here in Sacramento next week.  Hopefully they'll have a stall there and I can take advantage :) 

22 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Thanks I never even thought of that, we have a boat show here in Sacramento next week.  Hopefully they'll have a stall there and I can take advantage :) 

I would just call them.....Doubt seriously they will be at Sacramento show.  Great people to deal with!

47 minutes ago, dealjb said:

I would just call them.....Doubt seriously they will be at Sacramento show.  Great people to deal with!

Correct.. they usually just do the shows close to a Texas.