Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thruster

Dunski

My dealer at the last show said they had heard of someone modifying and adding a thruster, similar to the Nautiques.  I haven’t heard back from them with any more details.  Anyone try this or know someone who has?   I’d be very interested in adding this to our ‘18 23LSV

I would be interested in this too! I saw both a thruster at the boat show and sonme boats had added two additional small steerable rudders...

A thruster sounds much easier to add DIY :)

2 hours ago, cowwboy said:

It's the holland marine jet thruster JT-30 systems.

Which according to them is an option on the MXZ's. 

Ballpark of $10k from what I have been able to find online. 

https://www.hollandmarineparts.nl/jetthruster/jt-30

He did tell me about the bow thrusters now avialable.  Thought he said 8k but he was referring to a rear mounted thruster that was aftermarket, not incorporated in the bow.  

480A! But if 3kw then about 250A operation im guessing. Also that's a huge hole and hoses to add im wondering if it at all possible to do that after market? 

That's a huge pump where are they installing it and it which locker space do you loose? 

Edited by The Hulk

I Looked in to this , Best solution I came up with is this the side shift , Looks very much like the Nautiques steering assist but without the stainless cover which would be easy for any machine shop to make up ,  

https://shop.sideshift.com/collections/monohull-bow-stern-thruster-products/products/st340-ob-stern-thruster?_ga=2.21521395.914006724.1551600765-1948970853.1551600765

7 hours ago, LucasC said:

I Looked in to this , Best solution I came up with is this the side shift , Looks very much like the Nautiques steering assist but without the stainless cover which would be easy for any machine shop to make up ,  

https://shop.sideshift.com/collections/monohull-bow-stern-thruster-products/products/st340-ob-stern-thruster?_ga=2.21521395.914006724.1551600765-1948970853.1551600765

They have a new model for front of pontoons that folds down and back up

I've been thinking about this with a much smaller thruster on my V-Ride (importantly, without the Wedge, FAE, or Surf Gates). There are sealed approaching 1/2 HP thrusters available that could lend some semblance of steering while in reverse. These would only draw 25 amps, and with an esc that provides soft start should be suitable w/ 2 deep cell batteries.

https://www.robotshop.com/en/t200-thruster-no-esc.html

The biggest problem is that I'm slightly considering a FAE, which makes me rethink the plan to either 1 on each side or using the platform (which is limited because the platform is in the flow above idle speeds.)

This solution wouldn't be very powerful, would probably resemble an adult steering the boat at the platform swimming casually.

Thoughts?

t200-thruster-no-esc-desc3.jpg

On 3/4/2019 at 2:12 PM, smileysteve said:

I've been thinking about this with a much smaller thruster on my V-Ride (importantly, without the Wedge, FAE, or Surf Gates). There are sealed approaching 1/2 HP thrusters available that could lend some semblance of steering while in reverse. These would only draw 25 amps, and with an esc that provides soft start should be suitable w/ 2 deep cell batteries.

https://www.robotshop.com/en/t200-thruster-no-esc.html

The biggest problem is that I'm slightly considering a FAE, which makes me rethink the plan to either 1 on each side or using the platform (which is limited because the platform is in the flow above idle speeds.)

This solution wouldn't be very powerful, would probably resemble an adult steering the boat at the platform swimming casually.

Thoughts?

t200-thruster-no-esc-desc3.jpg

You will need a more powerful version, any specs on the Nautique style units? I thought they were a $1.5-2k unit for something similar, but require a pretty large hole in the rear. 

Would be handy for sure! 

29 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

...but require a pretty large hole in the rear. 

Would be handy for sure! 

Not that I'm an expert but all of the stern thrusters I've seen in this class are exterior mounted on the transom; bow on the other hand requires 2 big holes.

14 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Not that I'm an expert but all of the stern thrusters I've seen in this class are exterior mounted on the transom; bow on the other hand requires 2 big holes.

This style seems more powerful but looks like it would be a large hole

c_btq250_140-24.jpg

070620071401401756.jpg

On 3/5/2019 at 6:43 PM, formulaben said:

Ahh, makes sense.  Not sure any modern boats would have the clearance for that electric motor but who knows.

That model I linked above has the motor outside the boat, so all that goes through the hull is the wiring/mounting hardware.  It's still a 2" hole, but at least you're not trying to stuff a bunch of extra equipment in the engine area.

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, TomH said:

The guys over on PN were discussing this one - seems like a simpler option than some of the ones above.  https://www.yachtthruster.com/easydrive

We tried to buy one of these but was told I Had to go through a Malibu dealer and couldnt buy direct . unless boat was a Pre . 2019 . they sent us pictures of it installed on a  M235

m235 install.jpg

4 hours ago, Argonaut said:

This looks great! Group buy? :)

👍Im In .  There seems to be an option of hard wired Joystick or wireless remote