Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

24 MXZ or G23

cptotr

I’ve been looking to get a new boat and have basically narrowed it down to two boats.  A slightly used G23 or a new 24 MXZ. I originally thought I wanted to get a 25 lsv, but after looking at them, I'm thinking now that I’d be happiest with the mxz.  I have a 2015 G23 now and have really loved the boat, but it’s just time to get something new.  It’s probably going to cost me another $30,000 or so to sell my G23 and buy a new 24 mxz.  That basically puts me in the same range as a used 2017 or 2018 G23.  I do seem to always be looking for the next thing, so resale is a big concern of mine.  The G has held its value exceptionally well.  I haven’t followed the prices of the mxz enough to know though.  Just from a quick glance it doesn’t seem to be as easy of a sell as the 23 lsv has historically been, but I don’t know that either.  Has anyone had any experience selling their 24 mxz?  Anyone have any other thoughts on the comparison of these two boats?

What didn’t you like about the 25lsv?

This is just a guess, but I think the 25LSV is going to be a strong boat on the used market in a few years. Recent trends are definitely moving up to larger boats, so I think the reasons that the 23LSV is so popular now, will be the reasons that the 25LSV will be sought after in the coming years (it seems to already be gaining major traction).

I’m sure another G would sell easy as well. But I think in the Malibu line, a 25LSV is a very smart buy.

once again.... just an educated guess.

A couple reasons on the 25lsv.  Main one is the walk through.  It never meant anything to me on all my prior boats, but after having it on the G it was something that I really enjoyed having.  Not that I couldn’t be happy without it, but I would like it given the chance.  I also like the bigger bow of the mxz.  I don’t really use it, but the kids seem to a lot.  I will say that I don’t love the look of Malibu’s pickle fork design all that much though.  I would probably prefer the look of the lsv bow.  I like how the G has more of a blunt tip bow to achieve the same effect of the pickle fork.  Malibu’s is just too pointed and aggressive looking in my opinion.  Not all that important though.  I also feel like I’m already stretching the limits of covrerage on my lift.  I know it’s only another 7”, but still hate to take anymore sun on the back than I have to when the angle is just right.  

I think you’re probably right on the the 25 lsv resale though.  Good point.

Love my 24 MXZ, you will not be disappointed if you go that direction.  I like the walkthrough as well and the size of the bow space is awesome, both kids and adults spend a lot of time up there. Note- I have seen a lot of comments on this site about how no one uses the bow in their boat. I have noticed that the bow in my 24 MXZ gets a lot more use than the bow of my VLX did.  My guess is this is because of the increased space and arm rests make it much more comfortable for an adult to be up there. If you have any questions feel free to DM me.

44 minutes ago, Chappy said:

Love my 24 MXZ, you will not be disappointed if you go that direction.  I like the walkthrough as well and the size of the bow space is awesome, both kids and adults spend a lot of time up there. Note- I have seen a lot of comments on this site about how no one uses the bow in their boat. I have noticed that the bow in my 24 MXZ gets a lot more use than the bow of my VLX did.  My guess is this is because of the increased space and arm rests make it much more comfortable for an adult to be up there. If you have any questions feel free to DM me.

I never used the bow of my vlx as it was just too small.  Now with the MXZ, two people can very comfortably sit up there and has been a popular spot with the wives when we go out with another couple as I usually drive.  Also, it should be noted that its a great spot to get some sun.  We usually lay out on the transom, but my wife has been liking laying up in the front where she is a little more hidden.  Leads to fewer tan lines...just sayin.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

I never used the bow of my vlx as it was just too small.  Now with the MXZ, two people can very comfortably sit up there and has been a popular spot with the wives when we go out with another couple as I usually drive.  Also, it should be noted that its a great spot to get some sun.  We usually lay out on the transom, but my wife has been liking laying up in the front where she is a little more hidden.  Leads to fewer tan lines...just sayin.

Did you upgrade to a new MXZ recently? I can attest to not using the VLX bow for anything but ballast. Used my buddies G23 bow in AZ a lot more because, well, it was just so much bigger.

3 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

Did you upgrade to a new MXZ recently? I can attest to not using the VLX bow for anything but ballast. Used my buddies G23 bow in AZ a lot more because, well, it was just so much bigger.

Yessir

• Like 1

Mxz larger bow and roughly similar cabin as your g, 

Im a traditional bow person so the 23/25 are what I prefer, however the walkthrough on the mx is tempting.. I'm convinced they will not add it to the 23 or the 25 or it will pretty much kill the MX line.. 

Either way the wave will be a treat compared to your 1st gen G

You could also look for a used M235

Edited by The Hulk

I’m with you on the look of the traditional bow. Definitely what I prefer from that aspect. However, like the other guys mentioned, you just don’t realize how much it gets used until it’s a more viable option. We had a T23 before and nobody ever went up there. Just felt cramped and small. Now it gets used quite a bit. I’d really feel like I had to compromise if I were to go away from that and the walkthrough. Not saying I wouldn’t, but it’d just be hard to go back to not having them. 

Do you really feel like the wave would be that much better on a new mxz vs a 1st gen G? I want to believe that, just asking if anyone knows first hand. 

Also, has anyone had very good luck selling their mxz after 1-2 years? Just seems to me that they depreciate a bit faster than the lsv. 

I surf next to 2 g 23s about every weekend we get to surf and they are newer ones.. several people on here have mentioned that in 2016 nautique change the hull and made a world of difference.. you have a 2015.. I can't say how big a difference it is but everybody seems to think the new Hull is much better from what I read.. 

I'm in a 25 lsv there's no comparison on wavelength to a g23.. when we roll side by side I'm at least twice as far back.. they look over with envy.. they look like they are full on the brakes and riding so close. Seeing this the past 2 summers you wouldn't catch me buying a g23 ever.. even though I do love their walk-through and finishing touches and so much about them.. 

the 25 lsv is probably one of the longest waves in the Malibu lineup and best waves all around next step would be the 24mx and the m235 in my opinion.. 

I don't know if the 25 lsv bow is bigger than the T23s or not seems like it is.. if I were you I would seriously consider checking out at 25 lsv .save you some money over the 24mx and you would take a lot less hit on resale in my opinion a lot of people are going to be after these 25s.

As mentioned several times for the price and wave and size the 25 is the hands down best wake boat for the money out there right now for what you get it's simply not that much more than a 23 lsv. And coming from your g you would appreciate the extra room but the overall boat size doesn't feel that much bigger it's longer and a little bit lower while your G is taller and shorter.. I've only driven a g a couple times but the 25 lsv it's a much better handling boat that drives more like a sports car it's kind of eerie a large boat can drive this nimble.

I'm not a fan of the MXZ because I think they are overpriced compared to the lsvs... Expensive walkthrough!!!!

I still strongly feel that a lot of people buying the boats in our neck of the woods prefer traditional bows. I don't see too many 30 or even young 40 year olds buying hundred k plus boats.. it seems to be mostly people in their mid 40s to 50s, and I rarely see them driving pickle forks.. this may just be the lakes around here but all the pickle forks I do see seem to be owned by the younger crowd. I don't have any data to back this up but I feel in this neck of the woods a traditional bow would be much easier resale if only considering the average age of those who can afford such toys. Look at the T22/23 line it took off and now more T series traditional bows. I'd be curious to know how the % of TB vs forks is. 

Even looking at nautique, Supra, tige and several or most of the other brands have gone more to a hybrid/widened traditional bow but not the full fork design. makes me believe pickle forks are slowly becoming a thing of the past..

I have heard the 24mx wave is awesome so I'm guessing it's pretty similar or close to the 25 lsv. Regardless that's going to blow your g out of the water 4 wave length and pocket size

• Like 2

I don’t like the overall aesthetics of Malibu’s pickle fork either. I think if they would change it up some it might entice a few more buyers. I think that’s probably why I like the G so much more in that regard  

Either way. Quite the sales pitch for the 25. Maybe I shouldn’t abandon that boat quite so fast. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cptotr said:

I’m with you on the look of the traditional bow. Definitely what I prefer from that aspect. However, like the other guys mentioned, you just don’t realize how much it gets used until it’s a more viable option. We had a T23 before and nobody ever went up there. Just felt cramped and small. Now it gets used quite a bit. I’d really feel like I had to compromise if I were to go away from that and the walkthrough. Not saying I wouldn’t, but it’d just be hard to go back to not having them. 

Do you really feel like the wave would be that much better on a new mxz vs a 1st gen G? I want to believe that, just asking if anyone knows first hand. 

Also, has anyone had very good luck selling their mxz after 1-2 years? Just seems to me that they depreciate a bit faster than the lsv. 

Surfed wolfmans 17 24Mxz snd the 13 G, mxz was better but I think the 13 G wave and all the spray was a better wave thsn the 17’s g 23 snd g 25 I surfed sane day .  The 18 G23 i surfed was not as good as the 13, I surfed an entire season on a 13G

The 17 Mxz with plug and play was as good maybe better as the 13 G with s big crew 

the 17 mxz was hands down better than the G23 and g25 if same year 

got to watch the Taylor girls surf that mxz, the wave and their surfing was amazing 

best transfers-hands down g series with NSS, full wave formation with push in just under 4 seconds , you can almost dance in that transfer it’s do smooth and fast, your immediately surfing with maneuvers in 5 or 6 seconds 

Edited by granddaddy55

Doing any wakeboarding?  I have heard not great things about the newer Gs with respect to wakeboarding.  I think both boats should be really comparable.  I went with new on mine for warranty and building exactly what I wanted.  The discounts on used werent enough to justify not going new.  I only spent about $8k more to get a new boat with 0 hours over a used boat with 100 hours and then got only and all the features I wanted.  

@05hammerheadWhat would that be?  the ‘18 boat at a contest did start to overheat when loaded with riders and ballast for the pro division after being used literally all day non stop, but the wake was awesome sauce , stupid poppy 

Edited by granddaddy55
2 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

@05hammerheadWhat would that be?  the ‘18 boat at a contest did start to overheat when loaded with riders and ballast for the pro division after being used literally all day non stop, but the wake was awesome sauce , stupid poppy 

Its more about the wake shape.  They changed the hull shape to make it surf better which then screwed with the wake they had perfected for wakeboarding.  Im sure there are 100 variables to consider when comparing wakes; speed, weight, line length etc so maybe Im off base.  What I do know is a few of the pros I talked to when they changed the hull told me they wanted to keep their older boats vs the new hull design.

22 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Its more about the wake shape.  They changed the hull shape to make it surf better which then screwed with the wake they had perfected for wakeboarding.  Im sure there are 100 variables to consider when comparing wakes; speed, weight, line length etc so maybe Im off base.  What I do know is a few of the pros I talked to when they changed the hull told me they wanted to keep their older boats vs the new hull design.

Interesting back and forth here. (Not looking seriously for a hand full of years due to college loan repayment,) but Id had a mental bias towards the G23 because it was the biggest, best shaped wakeboard wake I had ever experienced, and the 23lsv, 247lsv, a24 wakes were only about 90% of the *pre 2016* G23. Good to hear feedback that the 25lsv stepped it up and the new g23s took a step back. 

Maybe some time this summer we can meet up and shred together. It would be a good getaway for a day with the new baby boy coming ANY DAY. Would be interesting first behind a MXZ too. Im guessing ice out april 1st with all this late season insulating snow.. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Ok I get it as the first gen G fir surf is better than the current versions 

12 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Ok I get it as the first gen G fir surf is better than the current versions 

Thats not what I gathered from this convo, nor the feedback I have gathered from friends. 

The OLD G23: Better wakeboard wake, Worse surf wave

The Newer G23: Better surf wake, Worse wakeboard wake

• Like 1
17 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I still strongly feel that a lot of people buying the boats in our neck of the woods prefer traditional bows. I don't see too many 30 or even young 40 year olds buying hundred k plus boats.. it seems to be mostly people in their mid 40s to 50s, and I rarely see them driving pickle forks.. this may just be the lakes around here but all the pickle forks I do see seem to be owned by the younger crowd. I don't have any data to back this up but I feel in this neck of the woods a traditional bow would be much easier resale if only considering the average age of those who can afford such toys. Look at the T22/23 line it took off and now more T series traditional bows. I'd be curious to know how the % of TB vs forks is. 

This is me.  Mid 30's and would much prefer the pickle fork as well as my friends in the same age bracket.  I didn't draw the age correlation - but i think you are correct. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

Thats not what I gathered from this convo, nor the feedback I have gathered from friends. 

The OLD G23: Better wakeboard wake, Worse surf wave

The Newer G23: Better surf wake, Worse wakeboard wake

You ever surf both gens, I have , a season in the 13, snd 17 23 snd 25 once on same day in a surfest same weekend as the 17 mxz, 

an 18 at surf Comps 3 times last year

wakeboard wake in 13 was pretty good but only one ride ever, but riding the 18 a couple times last year in rough water was hard to tell but it sent me high just like the 13 did 

Edited by granddaddy55
On 2/24/2019 at 6:41 PM, cptotr said:

I’ve been looking to get a new boat and have basically narrowed it down to two boats.  A slightly used G23 or a new 24 MXZ. I originally thought I wanted to get a 25 lsv, but after looking at them, I'm thinking now that I’d be happiest with the mxz.  I have a 2015 G23 now and have really loved the boat, but it’s just time to get something new.  It’s probably going to cost me another $30,000 or so to sell my G23 and buy a new 24 mxz.  That basically puts me in the same range as a used 2017 or 2018 G23.  I do seem to always be looking for the next thing, so resale is a big concern of mine.  The G has held its value exceptionally well.  I haven’t followed the prices of the mxz enough to know though.  Just from a quick glance it doesn’t seem to be as easy of a sell as the 23 lsv has historically been, but I don’t know that either.  Has anyone had any experience selling their 24 mxz?  Anyone have any other thoughts on the comparison of these two boats?

U should demo a 24mx nd 25lsv before making a decision, it's a lot of $ regardless and depends on what u like to do and the functionality that u need. 

I'd spend some time sitting in a 24 and 25 at the dealer to get a Better feel

I’d love to demo, but doesn’t hardly seem possible.  In order to have one by the season, I almost need to pull the trigger relatively soon. Is there really any difference between the on water performance between these two boats? I know they’re both going to be awesome, but any real reason to consider either one over the other for just wake/wave quality? I know from the boat show I prefer the mxz inside and the overall look of the 25 lsv from the outside. I really don’t care as much for the look of the mxz, but like what you gain from it. However, the price, performance, potentially better resale in 1-2 years, and fresh hull design on the lsv are making it harder to pull the trigger on the mxz. 

Hard call.. I totally get the walkthrough thing for sure. Id pull trigger on a new 25 in a heartbeat if there was a walkthrough. We use our sunpad all the time, but a walkthrough just seems so darn practical.

Maybe get a quote for both builds and see what the difference is. 

I was happy to see they increased the vertical height of surf Gates on the new 25 so if your more heavily slammed in the rear u don't sink top of Gates below water. Not sure if that's similar on the mx? . 

One thing I would do on a new 25 build is the newer rear seat steps where u can flip down back part of two rear seats and they have a teak step. The back of the seat has a nice aluminum plate with teak on it. Not sure if u have seen or considered these but a must have without a walkthrough IMO. 

We are in and out all the time and thus far all the Vinyl has held up fine, granted we typically step in a throwable cushion or try to that's why I would love the new seat back steps as it would be a firmer always there solution. Either way coming from a G23 it's not going to be as friendly unless u go mxz.  Mx and still probably not as nice as the G. On my u still have to step on vinyl seat first right? 

I was skeptical on the new 25 bold lines however after being at a few shows It really has grown a lot on me. My guess is that will carry into the new redesigns of other models in some way. 

Mxz does have storage or I think now it's only a  ladder in very front bow if that matters. if u dock anywhere with a very short dock and tail hanging off the back the mx might be easier to board and unboard from the bow being squared off bow closer to side of docks. 

Maaaan what a tough decision! I'd be driving to the closest boat show or dealer to just sit in them both and daydream for a while.

Either way I'd price both builds 

Good luck.. 

Edited by The Hulk

Couple items to consider between a new 25 lsv and 24 mxz. The cabin space between the two is nearly identical. Demoed the new 25 last fall and took a bunch of measurements of it and my 24 mxz in the garage because after demoing the 25 cabin just did not feel that much bigger. Found that the cabin length is within and inch or two and width is identical if not slightly wider for the mxz. So the old trade off of cabin vs bow space really is not there anymore with these two new models. 

@The Hulk the surf gates are the same size between the 25 lsv and 24 mxz.  Also I don’t believe the flip down rear seats are an option on the new 25.  

I too prefer traditional bow (still do). But after owning a 24 mxz for a year (previous boat was 2016 25 lsv) the family and I really liked the functionality of the mxz.  A couple of small examples beyond the obvious like the walkthrough is bow anchor storage (lead bags for bow weight) and the transom seat hinge from the top (vs outside on the 25) which allows you to retrieve and stowe jackets without opening the main sundeck pads.

Of course the little things don’t matter unless the wake and waves are great - and they are for both boats. 

Really wanted to like the new 25 more when it was released but after spending a couple days with it decided to stick with the 24 mxz.  Either one is really a great choice.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, lerch said:

@The Hulk Also I don’t believe the flip down rear seats are an option on the new 25.  

Say it ain't so!... I would find this hard to believe? Nearly all boats except the 25? Thats a Big Fail if true...