Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Icon 8s just not cutting it while surfing. No bass

Dwake

So i did some homework, and want to listen to the bigger speakers on water before I add up. But maybe someone on here had similiar experience.

2018 lsv, I got the factory wetsounds.  Sound awesome in cabin.  I used to do my own but this was good for me.  I listened to the icon 8s on tower in the yard.  Sounded sufficient for surfing.

so when I’m actually surfing got to turn them way up and I got no bass.  When partying in the water no problem.  So my question is.  Will adding a pair of rev10s with equivalent amp give me much more bass while surfing.  Obviously I got to here them in person 

46 minutes ago, Dwake said:

so when I’m actually surfing got to turn them way up

Where is the problem in this? As long as you are not driving the system into a clipping scenario, there is nothing wrong with having head unit level turned up, to get a high volume level from the speakers. I much prefer this then having the speakers and amp peak out at half head unit level. This leaves the system vulnerable for someone to accidentally crank it wide open. 

50 minutes ago, Dwake said:

I got no bass

Never will from a tower pod. Mid-bass, yes. Bass, no. 

51 minutes ago, Dwake said:

Will adding a pair of rev10s with equivalent amp give me much more bass while surfing.

You would actually be better off to swap the 8" coaxial for the 10" HLCD and installing a new amp, rather then add them into the mix. Just note though, even though the 10" will yield more mid-bass then the 8", you are moving from a small dome tweeter to a larger compression driver.  

50 minutes ago, MLA said:

Where is the problem in this? As long as you are not driving the system into a clipping scenario, there is nothing wrong with having head unit level turned up, to get a high volume level from the speakers. I much prefer this then having the speakers and amp peak out at half head unit level. This leaves the system vulnerable for someone to accidentally crank it wide open. 

Never will from a tower pod. Mid-bass, yes. Bass, no. 

You would actually be better off to swap the 8" coaxial for the 10" HLCD and installing a new amp, rather then add them into the mix. Just note though, even though the 10" will yield more mid-bass then the 8", you are moving from a small dome tweeter to a larger compression driver.  

Don’t mind the volume, just higher vol high tones not more bass.  I’ll have to play with the eq more to maybe.  Just a pain that I can’t tune them differently than the cabin

thanks for everyone’s input.  I’ll have to just ride behind a demo with the 10s. Should be able to, dealer here is cool.

im actually thinking about a pop up sub under the transom seats.  Look like plenty of room under them. But I doubt I’ll ever do it.  Should be cool though fill in that sound missing when at sandbar

• 1 month later...

If you really want to hear bass, invest in a 12” sub that will handle 1500 watts rms and turn it up. You can get it to the point that you feel the bass through the water...

I have 4 Rev 10s on the tower, they are loud, but they don’t play deep bass, small kick drum maybe...