Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mod needed to keep boat on but can't put in gear

The Hulk

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Still tho... can you post a diagram of how it's wired with a 1-2-ALL-OFF switch?  I've never been able to work out how that could work with the blue seas acr.

yea when i get boat back i will. i'm wondering if they replaced with same switch or different though. will find out. without drawing this out just thinking quickly in my head i would think you could do similar to below

keep switch on BAT 1 and then the ACR is just between the BAT 1 and BAT 2, then when ACR kicks on your in combined charging, but in this way if you want to actually combine leaving ACR out of equation you can switch to combine. 

Edited by The Hulk
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

yea when i get boat back i will. i'm wondering if they replaced with same switch or different though. will find out. without drawing this out just thinking quickly in my head i would think you could do similar to below

keep switch on BAT 1 and then the ACR is just between the BAT 1 and BAT 2, then when ACR kicks on your in combined charging, but in this way if you want to actually combine leaving ACR out of equation you can switch to combine. 

Can you also post why a 1-2-all-off switch is even needed/useful with an ACR?  I mean if you really want the option to deplete your starter battery to power the stereo I guess it make sense.  Otherwise there is really no reason for it and it just mucks up the division of loads that wiring one batt to the stereo and one batt to the engine accomplishes.  The switches were around long before ACRs and seem to be hanging around for no good reason.

5 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Can you also post why a 1-2-all-off switch is even needed/useful with an ACR?  I mean if you really want the option to deplete your starter battery to power the stereo I guess it make sense.  Otherwise there is really no reason for it and it just mucks up the division of loads that wiring one batt to the stereo and one batt to the engine accomplishes.  The switches were around long before ACRs and seem to be hanging around for no good reason.

agreed its NOT a good way to do it, but someone may want to jam out a bit longer at the risk of being stranded! but better to be safe and pay the few bucks for safer style switch. 

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/170/Battery_Management_Wiring_Schematics_for_Typical_Applications

Edited by The Hulk
6 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

With an ON-OFF-COMBINE switch there are advantages:

disconnecting batteries from loads (i.e. the "off" part of the switch) has value, as does the "on" part.  It also allows you to put particular loads on a given battery at the switch such that when the switch is turned off, the potentially parasitic loads are also disconnected (this is the part I don't understand with a 1-2-ALL-OFF switch, since there's only a common post for input and output loads).

I love how Hulk threads evolve over time. “My motor blew up” three pages later, “what, you guys don’t run wot from the launch ramp?” 

Now this thread which should just be renamed “how not to wire your batteries”

Edited by Pnwrider
  • Like 3
On 3/1/2019 at 8:08 AM, oldjeep said:

OK - help me out on this, I have to be misunderstanding what you are saying.  So you are removing your battery from the circuit and then starting and running completely off the jump pack?  How do you then get the battery hooked back up?  Running without a "real" battery is a great way to fry all your electronics, as the battery is a buffer against voltage spikes.

This is likely a dumb question, but what about flipping the perko switches from one battery to the other?  Would that have the same result?  I generally run only one battery and use the other as my backup.  Music while parked etc.  If it gets too low, I flip to battery 2, start the motor then flip back to battery 1 to charge it back up. Is that bad?

56 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

This is likely a dumb question, but what about flipping the perko switches from one battery to the other?  Would that have the same result?  I generally run only one battery and use the other as my backup.  Music while parked etc.  If it gets too low, I flip to battery 2, start the motor then flip back to battery 1 to charge it back up. Is that bad?

That's what an ACR does - without the switch or the human error that can happen when using the switch.

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

That's what an ACR does - without the switch or the human error that can happen when using the switch.

So you put that in place of the perko?  Will it drain both batteries?

That would depend on the loads placed on the batteries.  If only one has a load then only that one will drain.  When the alternator (engine on) is charging one battery then the ACR circuit closes and the other battery will be charged too.  That is what an ACR does.  If you drain your stereo battery at the sand bar, your starter battery will still be fully charged - and you don't have to move any switches to make sure that happens.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Perko switches are make before break. So you are never disconnected during a switch unless you put it in off. 

On 3/5/2019 at 1:47 PM, oldjeep said:

Perko switches are make before break. So you are never disconnected during a switch unless you put it in off. 

And you should never switch to off while running. 

• Like 2
On 3/5/2019 at 1:47 PM, oldjeep said:

13 hours ago, dalt1 said:

And you should never switch to off while running. 

All though I have done it when my 18 would not shut off no matter what I tried to do. I forgot about pulling the lanyard kill first. Could have probably done that.