Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing shaft packing

So the shaft packing I had was leaking really bad as in more than a drip. I think it had been doing it for a while, I just always thought it was coming from the ballast. So last year I removed it and replaced it with the required amount of wax rope, cut it the right length, and angles in the way it is supposed to be replaced. It still leaked the same as if I didnt even do it at all, and I had the brass nut even locked down tight. Dumb question... should I add more packing... few more strips than what is factory? Any others see this issue?Thanks for any insight! 

You could try the dripless type of rope. The most you can fit in there is three strips. Before trying that, I would triple check to make sure the leak is coming from the nut. If nothing changed from you changing something, it might not be your issue. Replacing the rope on my vdrive was not a real pleasant experience for me so I would check everything else before doing it again.

Make sure it is packed all the way down before tightening the nut.  (Someone posted of using a split piece of ballast hose to help push it down evenly)  if I remember correctly, I added a fourth wrap and it helped slow it down to a drip.  

3 hours ago, DylanR said:

So the shaft packing I had was leaking really bad as in more than a drip. I think it had been doing it for a while, I just always thought it was coming from the ballast. So last year I removed it and replaced it with the required amount of wax rope, cut it the right length, and angles in the way it is supposed to be replaced. It still leaked the same as if I didnt even do it at all, and I had the brass nut even locked down tight. Dumb question... should I add more packing... few more strips than what is factory? Any others see this issue?Thanks for any insight! 

What size packing did you use?  Did you use Syntef when installing the packing? And how tight did you go with the large nut? 

The last post on page 3 of this tutorial talks about it...some packing will swell slightly and you make a second adjustment on the water.

Edited by formulaben
  • 2 weeks later...

How many pieces did you pull out?  

I second checking that this leak is coming from the nut itself.  Might be coming from the tubing that connects to the shaft log. 

When re-tightening, you should be adjusting it initially just past hand tight, then make adjustments to set the drip rate.  But it shouldn't be flowing like it seems in your picture.

I repacked my shaft nut with the GFO stuff.  But after one season, I took it out and went with a dripless system from Glide Seals. 

It was pouring that way before and that way after I reinstalled new packing... it is def coming from the brass nut not anywhere else... I ordered whatever I was told. I can try maybe a bigger size... 

Since you got the new packing  from Bakes, it's probably the correct size, but verify any way. 

I wonder if a mis-aligned/bent/warped drive shaft would cause this....

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 5:05 PM, saxton15 said:

How many pieces did you pull out?  

I second checking that this leak is coming from the nut itself.  Might be coming from the tubing that connects to the shaft log. 

When re-tightening, you should be adjusting it initially just past hand tight, then make adjustments to set the drip rate.  But it shouldn't be flowing like it seems in your picture.

I repacked my shaft nut with the GFO stuff.  But after one season, I took it out and went with a dripless system from Glide Seals. 

How can I check the tubing? 

On 3/13/2019 at 5:33 PM, John I. said:

Since you got the new packing  from Bakes, it's probably the correct size, but verify any way. 

I wonder if a mis-aligned/bent/warped drive shaft would cause this....

How would I know if it is misaligned bent or warped? My boat has very minimal hours and has never been damaged in any way. 

Edited by DylanR
31 minutes ago, DylanR said:

How can I check the tubing? 

Run your finger around the tubing and see if its wet.  If you don't see water dripping from the nut itself, it might be coming from further down.  I think it's unlikely, but it is possible.