Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu M5Di specs

ctvandy23

ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Didnt read all of the posts. Um, just surprised no ones demo'd boats with these engines ? Specs look nice though. 

Steve B.

Quite hard to demo a boat with 8-10” of ice on the lake. On the early model 2019’s the new malibu engines weren’t implemented yet. The M6 was launched with the 25 and then M235. Just now are orders being taken with the M5. 

On 2/24/2019 at 12:05 AM, Peebalz said:

I wish. I just meant that there will be a lot of new engines in the water over the next month.  There a lot of folks on here spraying in March.

Ton of them running over in OZ since July.

12 hours ago, csleaver said:

According to GM, the L96 produces 360 HP at 5400 RPM and 380 LB-FT of torque at 4200 RPM, so I think the 409 is simply referring to an arbitrary model designation, and nothing more.

Calibrations for the marine engines are much different than the calibrations that GM provides. You can't go off of the GM numbers.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Just curious, what makes "CARB" numbers better than PCM's numbers?

http://pcmengines.com/engines/hyperformance-six-nautique/

CARB numbers may not be "better" than PCM numbers, but since CARB testing procedures are the same regardless who the builder is, it gives a more level playing field.  You can use their test numbers to compare apples to apples instead of using the possibly very optimistic results from a particular builder, like PCM.

8 hours ago, eubanks said:

On the prop, my 2019 came with the 2249.  My dealers swears it's the right one for my application.

Whats your application? Stock MLS only or with the extra 550/580 pnp? Based on my dealers advice, I have the 2773 coming on mine for my application.😁

2 hours ago, wdr said:

Whats your application? Stock MLS only or with the extra 550/580 pnp? Based on my dealers advice, I have the 2773 coming on mine for my application.😁

Dang!  13” pitch?!  Hope you don’t plan on going above 18mph. 😂

4 hours ago, eubanks said:

Dang!  13” pitch?!  Hope you don’t plan on going above 18mph. 😂

We normally only surf, rarely board and have a very short run to our normal hang outs. I had to take the dealers advice for the best prop with the M5. I was concerned about that when I was steered in that direction. I think on delivery day I will have to discuss an alternative arrangement to this prop if it is just going to be too much. I am not a “got to have 10k in ballast wave snob” because we aren’t pro boarders. Guess we will see with results to follow. Spray day today!

Edited by wdr
Sp
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, wdr said:

We normally only surf, rarely board and have a very short run to our normal hang outs. I had to take the dealers advice for the best prop with the M5. I was concerned about that when I was steered in that direction. I think on delivery day I will have to discuss an alternative arrangement to this prop if it is just going to be too much. I am not a “got to have 10k in ballast wave snob” because we aren’t pro boarders. Guess we will see with results to follow. Spray day today!

Congrats!  Very exciting!  I am hopeful the 2249 is a good fit but I guess we will see as well.

Answer from Acme about my prop inquiry for the M5.  I figured they had done some testing on this engine and would have a more refined opinion but perhaps not quite yet.

"Thanks for reaching out to us!  I’ve got a few questions for you to help me narrow down what the best prop option would be for you.  With the PNP ballast included, how much total ballast is that?  Around 4,000 lbs?  When you bought the boat, what were your other prop options?  The M5Di engine… just verifying that is the 5.7L 410 hp engine? 1.76:1 gear?  Is there a chance you can measure the tip clearance?  (from the tip of the propeller to the bottom of the hull).  This will help us determine if you have the opportunity to move from a 15” prop to a 15.5” or 16”.  We will definitely have a few options for you.  I’m sure the 2249 is a great prop for that boat, but with the additional ballast and not caring too much about top-end speed, we may have something that will be better."

Almost as important, I will visually confirm the final drive ratios on Friday when I do the tour. I was told no pictures in all caps with the tour confirmation email. IIRC , others have posted their pics on here. I guess thats kind of like the “pirates code” , merely a guideline. 😁

14 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Answer from Acme about my prop inquiry for the M5.  I figured they had done some testing on this engine and would have a more refined opinion but perhaps not quite yet.

"Thanks for reaching out to us!  I’ve got a few questions for you to help me narrow down what the best prop option would be for you.  With the PNP ballast included, how much total ballast is that?  Around 4,000 lbs?  When you bought the boat, what were your other prop options?  The M5Di engine… just verifying that is the 5.7L 410 hp engine? 1.76:1 gear?  Is there a chance you can measure the tip clearance?  (from the tip of the propeller to the bottom of the hull).  This will help us determine if you have the opportunity to move from a 15” prop to a 15.5” or 16”.  We will definitely have a few options for you.  I’m sure the 2249 is a great prop for that boat, but with the additional ballast and not caring too much about top-end speed, we may have something that will be better."

?

• Like 2

Just back from the plant tour and it was impressive to say the least. It was especially impressive the number of additions to the plant that have occurred since they moved production to TN. The number cranked out is 22 a day and 24 max. The tour lasts as long as you have questions. Ours was 1 1/2 hours long and hit the whole process from laying the hull to final asssembly. I got to hang on the M5 on a stand so I had full access to it. The final drive ratios are 1.76:1 for trans and VD. A very finished piece in, for lack of a better color description a dark graphite color for the pan, block, heads and manifolds. It is going to be extremely easy to work on if you are a DIY guy like me. There wasn’t a boat there with a prop on it to check the hull to tip gap. Mine sprayed the 27 they cure for a full 24 then get rigged. Mine was no joke already rigged this morning before I got there at 9 and was heading out the door to do a water test in Watts Bar Lake when we left at 1030. An NDA has to be signed by my wife and I so sorry, no picks. They had every model on the line in some level of assembly. Questions, ask away.

Edited by wdr
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, wdr said:

You guys need to quit ordering boats in Azure Blue, holy _rap! 😊

Hey in my defense I was one of the first to order it :blush:

I was that impressed with the tour as well. When I was there two years ago access to the engine plant was denied. I’m not even sure if it was public then to be honest. From what I’ve seen, it’s extremely impressive as well.