Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Malibu 25LSV maiden voyage

Dfowkes

It sits with a slight lean when not moving.  Tough to get a great photo but if you use the dock/lift rails on the slip behind me and then follow my top line, you can see it runs downhill to starboard side.  There is nearly nothing in the boat still.  Heaviest item is a slide anchor, and it is actually on the port side.  

@bbattiste247 seems to report similar results.  Does your wake clean up?  I went oit this evening and it took about 50-75% on the port stock ballast tank (no PNP bags are in yet) to sort of level the boat, but the wake still a little washed out on one side running 20MPH.  It was pretty even but not “Malibu clean and symmetrical” like I am used to. 

116D03AC-7BA7-41D8-82D0-9643847C0B3F.jpeg

Did you notice it the first time or two you had it out or has it gotten worse?

If it has gotten worse and the fact that you think it’s leaning while sitting still might lead me to believe there’s some sort of issue with the ballast not draining all the way. I can’t think of any other reason it wouldn’t be level in calm water with all the ballast empty and no one in the boat. 

Yeah, this doesn’t seem right.  My 17’ VLX and 18’ LSV run almost completely level.  That’s one of the reason I bought a Malibu.  

You might want to try filling both tanks up 100%, and then drain them both at the same time.  See if they both stop spewing water at the same time. 

Sounds good.  I will try to time the ballast emptying.  I did time fill since it was a topic of discussion.  About 4:30 to fill back tanks - with no PNP installed.  

And it has set like this since day one, so maybe something else is up. 

9 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Any other owners notice a significant lean to the drivers side on the 25LSV?  Mine always sits towards driver, more so than just the weight of the driver. Camera angle may be playing some games here but it is very noticeable when on the boat.  This is with all ballast empty and just the wife and I on the boat.  Fuel was at about 80%.  I assume the tank is somewhat symmetrical but maybe not?

4341BE45-7ECA-4F65-A325-E2C6ACD3F8A5.jpeg

My 2016 25LSV had a little lean towards driver side. But I’m much heavier than my wife. This is one of the reasons why I run lead in the boat. I put and extra 200lbs on port side to offset my weight. I plan on the doing the same in my 2019 25LSV. Especially with the 2 ice chests also being on driver side.  I’m still working on break in hours, 7 total now as of today.  

5 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Crazy.  I will play with it some more but am a bit concerned how much bias will have to be run to even our wakes for wakeboarding.  Is this the price for having a torquey 17” prop under there? Maybe.  More to come as we keep learning on this thing.  

We are super pleased with our wake. I could still add more than 350 lbs to the portside and even still, you'll have to move people around just like in any boat.

From everyone else’s experience it sounds like it’s all related to the prop torque. Full plug and play ballast would lessen that to some degree, but probably still require some additional lead. Especially by the time you get your coolers in there like Dfowkes said. 

Maybe someone else has mentioned it, but I haven’t seen it either. You’d think the 24 mxz would have the same issue though since they both run the 17” prop. Wondering if it’s the same way?

ahopkins22LSV

I demo’d a 2018 M235 at the factory a few years ago and they showed me the wakeboard wake just for fun and we had to adjust where we were sitting due to the prop torque. 17” prop moves a ton of water. Every boat I’ve ever been in runs listed with just me and my wife in it though. 

14 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Thanks for the responses!  I am sure once I sack it out and get a crew on board it won’t be as bad.  

still think there is an issue there. I would be getting it looked at …..

30 minutes ago, AussieSkier said:

still think there is an issue there. I would be getting it looked at …..

Other 25LSV owners are reporting similar results.   M235 is reported above as being similar.  It doesn’t seem isolated to my boat.  

I would love to hear from 24MXZ owners as well, but currently it seems “normal”. My dealer will likely be rocking a 25 soon, so I will ask him for a comparison as well.  

The 2019 25lsv I was on didn’t have this lean, but it have a lot of extra weight on the port side -  bow thruster, second sub and extra battery for thruster. Didn’t experience this when parked, empty at speed, loaded at speed  

I wonder how much a torquier prop could impact this. 

Do you recall what prop you have?

I didn’t think the thruster was an option on the 25?  Guess I am wrong there   

Anyways, I have the 3077 prop and actually have the second sub over there as well.  

On a brighter note - I am overall pretty happy with the stereo!  A few nitpicky complaints on the screen/interface but the sound is nice overall.

Okay, in fairness to camera angles - here is another photo taken back to back with the first.  It doesn’t look nearly as bad in this photo although it is still there.  

The next set is with just port locker filled at 75% and only me in the boat.  (Edit - just noticed center locker is at 25%   I am pretty sure it is filling when underway some as I never kicked it on.   It read zero when headed back to the docks, but water pumped out when I kicked the pump on)  

02630255-B249-46E5-A953-AC5EC58C67C1.jpeg

0F3E4F66-134D-4E50-821C-2EADFF9628C5.jpeg

29B22143-E749-414A-9202-76D983B5DDBC.jpeg

8AE00C18-239B-4AC6-96DC-3D46F429470E.jpeg

Edited by hethj7

Before I put lead weight in the portside, I filled the portside ballast tanks to even it out, and the boat would turn violently to the left if I let go of the wheel. Once I dumped the water in the tanks, it was fine.

On 4/8/2019 at 5:35 AM, cptotr said:

From everyone else’s experience it sounds like it’s all related to the prop torque. Full plug and play ballast would lessen that to some degree, but probably still require some additional lead. Especially by the time you get your coolers in there like Dfowkes said. 

Maybe someone else has mentioned it, but I haven’t seen it either. You’d think the 24 mxz would have the same issue though since they both run the 17” prop. Wondering if it’s the same way?

But didn't the OP say it was still doing it sitting at the dock? This would eliminate prop torque as the issue.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Chappy said:

But didn't the OP say it was still doing it sitting at the dock? This would eliminate prop torque as the issue.

My lean sitting at the dock is next to nothing. Look at the photo.   It is very slight - should it be perfectly level?  I don’t know.  I am overly sensitive to it with a new boat/model.  

The lean when moving seems to be from prop/engine torque, but I guess you don’t experience the same in the MXZ.   

My boat is currently empty - no people, no ballast, not even gear in it as I am just breaking it in. I suspect with just some passengers and gear on board, if it is the engine and prop torque, some weight will suppress it quite a bit.  I will assume a people free, gear free, ballast free 25LSV is not the conditions Malibu designed this beast to normally operate at :)   I hope to report back later that for a typical day on the water with a crew it is a non-issue.  I highly suspect that will be the case.  

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I still don’t think it’s right your boat is listing at speed like that. I’ve been in boats with 17” props and neither did that. 

With just one person? Even with my wife and daughter in our boat it lists at speed. I’ve never taken a picture of it because every boat I’ve ever been in does dating back to the 1983 Chris Craft we had. 

Here is a picture of me driving a 2018 21 VLx from the launch to an event site. Just me in the boat. I didn’t take it for the list but to try to get a picture of the two guys following me. I think the picture is making @hethj7‘s look worse than it is because I took the picture square to the lake but look at the angle of where the lake meets the sky, similarto his picture I feel. But maybe it is because the 25 is TALL and with the GX tower plus 4 rev 10’s you have a lot of weight up high and it lists a bit more? :dontknow:

99DF0E2E-CBC4-4F30-A72E-FC5070B2A353.thumb.jpeg.5080970c63353b507534a757392d793e.jpeg

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

Also, zoom in on that picture. The boat closest to me is a 2018 22 MXZ, by the spray of coming off the hull you can tell that is listed as well. The boat furthest back is a 2019 24 MXZ, a bit harder to see, but also looks like the spray is the same. All three boats were zero ballast, one driver and full fuel. 

• Like 2

It is a fact that the 2019 25 lsv lists to the starboard side a lot and I had to off set this with 350 additional pounds to the port side and only 100 pounds on the listing side. I have no explanation except torque of the prop or the new storage bin may add additional weight to that side.   

I have also noticed that when the bow tanks are full and the rear sacs are filling, the bow seems to nearly drown itself. I have to fill the rear tanks first, or I take on some water over the bow.

Edited by bbattiste247
  • Like 3