Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Malibu 25LSV maiden voyage

Dfowkes

9 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Glad I am not the only one with a wife that goes 20 minutes straight.  She will be excited to notice the Malibu swim platform is lower in the water, and it will be easier to just ride onto the swimstep with dry hair.  

I've gotten used to the G23, and it seemed if you turned very hard away from the wave, it was tough to stay in it.  Good to know the surfgate boat might be better in that regard.  

yeah now that I re-read what I wrote tho, I think turning to the gate might actually stand the wave up a little and make it shorter.  Either way, tuck in behind the platform, ride out the turn till the boat is going straight, then back to doing your own thing.

My dealer said they asked Malibu about the 15v and they said “it was good”! Guess we will see on warranty claims. My dealer also said for break in to go 20 hrs full rpm range to get the rings to seal fully, but with out ballast before I bring it in. Guys bagging it out on day one turns them into oil eaters he said. Gator step on the sides was a block checked when I ordered. 

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

yeah now that I re-read what I wrote tho, I think turning to the gate might actually stand the wave up a little and make it shorter.  Either way, tuck in behind the platform, ride out the turn till the boat is going straight, then back to doing your own thing.

Turn towards rider = shorter taller wave (This is the way we turn) btw... time this right and enjoy your double up... managed to time once but I did not land my catapult into the air lol

Turn away from rider = longer not as high wave (more difficult in my opinion to ride during turn)

However, the above really depends on how hard you have to turn... If it is a long turn then I will turn away from rider... if it is a short turn then I turn into rider

+++1 "Either way, tuck in behind the platform, ride out the turn till the boat is going straight, then back to doing your own thing."

Edited by kerpluxal
  • Like 2
On 3/20/2019 at 10:41 AM, MLA said:

I have added ports to sacs. No reported failures as of yet. 

I have to do this on a project that I am working on..... teach me!

what do you use to adhere/seal the new port to the bag? Rubber cement? 

On 3/25/2019 at 3:51 PM, wdr said:

My dealer said they asked Malibu about the 15v and they said “it was good”! Guess we will see on warranty claims. My dealer also said for break in to go 20 hrs full rpm range to get the rings to seal fully, but with out ballast before I bring it in. Guys bagging it out on day one turns them into oil eaters he said. Gator step on the sides was a block checked when I ordered. 

Batteries are not ever a warranty item.  I am pretty sure if I walked into my dealer and asked for new batteries any time in the next 5 years, they would laugh me out the door.    

This is exactly why I have a hard time believing in break in procedure at all.  I've said it before, but when even owner's manuals of various brands have varying recommendations, they all simply cannot be true.  

Edited by TallRedRider
43 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Batteries are not ever a warranty item.  I am pretty sure if I walked into my dealer and asked for new batteries any time in the next 5 years, they would laugh me out the door.    

This is exactly why I have a hard time believing in break in procedure at all.  I've said it before, but when even owner's manuals of various brands have varying recommendations, they all simply cannot be true.  

I am guessing that multiple boats with fried batteries, from multiple dealers in multiple states might raise a warranty question about the alternator cooking them. Got to wonder if the 15v will cause issues with other electrical items, but I am the village idiot when it comes to electrical stuff so just a guess on my part.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:51 PM, wdr said:

On my 15 axis I ran for 3 hrs before sacking it out. My 257 with H6, similar to M6, we just started using the boat, surfing etc. I dont recall the 257 dealer saying not to, also the dealer sent me a video of my boat throwing a wave from his drone.  Neither boat ever used oil. 

On 2/24/2019 at 7:44 AM, TallRedRider said:

Keen observation.  I noticed that too when I picked up my boat and we took it out for the demo.  They said that the M6 has the alternator set to a higher voltage.  I am not sure how I feel about that.  Mine was reading 15.3 while we were cruising around.  If you repeatedly feed a battery that was meant to be given 14+ volts a higher voltage, will it die a premature death?   I was going to start a whole new thread for the electrical gurus to chime in, but since @hethj7 mentioned it...

You bought a new 25. Good for you. 

• Like 1

“Guys bagging it out on day one turns them into oil eaters”. Just repeating what the dealer told me. I think if you follow the manufactuers guidlines for break in your gonna CYA. After that, it will either have issues or it wont unless your maintenance habits are poor to non existent. 

How would the dealer know if you sacked it out or not. I was told give it a couple hours then fill factory and surf if you want. Just not for a long time keep varying throttle. After 10. Go for it. 

Honestly, I think the rings should be seated by a couple hours of “reasonably varied rpm runs” so you could do pretty much anything and everything you normally would on the boat. BICBW After watching professionals run repeated dyno pulls up to 7k on the Youtube it makes you kind of wonder about the break in claims from whom ever. I’m not one to tempt fate and if something happened I would feel like crap even worse, if I deviated from the CFO witnessed guidance on break in and something happened, I would never live that one down.

With all the electronics in them, who knows if they chart ballast and RPM and hours.  I doubt it, but who knows.  

I agree 10 hours seems a bit excessive, but I did my 2016 by the book and am doing the same on my 2019.   What is even more odd is lots of language in the manual stating first service must/should be done by dealer so they can look for other issues before something major happens.  

Saw the take it to the dealer as well and they said ideally to do that so they can look for other potential issues. I think I found most of those potential issues in my bilge already😙. But, if they can find something that can save me another trip down to the dealer “before summer hits” I am all for it. The dealer is telling me 10 to break it in and to frequently check the oil and 20 hours before I bring it in for the first service. Seeing that half of that will be cruising more or less I thought it pretty reasonable. 

On 3/21/2019 at 7:02 AM, TallRedRider said:

I have a question that I have been meaning to ask.  My home lake is fairly small, so turning around while surfing is something that has to be done.  While out on the lake during both my demo and since, when surfing on the port side, if I turn into the wave, turning the wheel all the way, the boat barely turns.   I once left myself what I thought was plenty of room, and ended up running out of real estate because the turning radius was so poor, and had to decrease to idle speed to turn around.  

Turning to the starboard while surfing port often washes out the wave, and there is a good chance I would lose my rider.  

I know that this is somewhat normal because of the surf gate, but it seems excessive to me.  I explained this to the mechanic when I did my purchase, and he adjusted the key in the rudder.  I was pretty sure that wouldn't do anything, and I was correct.  

Is this normal?  It is practically a safety concern that I can only turn about 10 degrees to the left.  It seems to turn entirely fine while not surfing.  

I am on my third Malibu with surfgate and none of my boats have ever turned to the portside while surfgate is deployed. It is different when pulling a goofy rider; the boat actually turns fairly easily with a surfer on the starboard side. I am not a physics guy, but I think it has to do with prop wash. The prop pushes water to the portside and it must put some force on the rutter. The boat will turn slightly, but I have never tried to force it. This is normal, so if you need to turn to the left, do so gently or retract the gate and throw the handle to your rider and tell them to hold on.  

My current boat was at 11hrs when I got it so I went straight to surfing. I know many dealers who go surf brand new boats straight from the factory. I’m not against the break in period but I wouldn’t be too concerned about not following it completely. 

With turning I always try and turn into the rider. Better yet I just pick a line and go back and forth, easier than turning and better water. 

Any other owners notice a significant lean to the drivers side on the 25LSV?  Mine always sits towards driver, more so than just the weight of the driver. Camera angle may be playing some games here but it is very noticeable when on the boat.  This is with all ballast empty and just the wife and I on the boat.  Fuel was at about 80%.  I assume the tank is somewhat symmetrical but maybe not?

4341BE45-7ECA-4F65-A325-E2C6ACD3F8A5.jpeg

That does seem like a lot. I know my G23 had some lean, but didn’t seem to be that much. I had to keep an extra 200 lbs of lead in the observers compartment to balance it out. 17” prop creates quite a bit of torque. Only things I could possibly think of though is the ballasts not reading correctly and the starboard side wasn’t completely empty? Or possibly a tracking fin issue maybe??? Maybe bent or cocked slightly to one side creating drag and the lean?  

3 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Any other owners notice a significant lean to the drivers side on the 25LSV?  Mine always sits towards driver, more so than just the weight of the driver. Camera angle may be playing some games here but it is very noticeable when on the boat.  This is with all ballast empty and just the wife and I on the boat.  Fuel was at about 80%.  I assume the tank is somewhat symmetrical but maybe not?

4341BE45-7ECA-4F65-A325-E2C6ACD3F8A5.jpeg

I took mine out several times by myself for break in and it had a terrible lean to the starboard side. I balanced it by putting 350 lbs on the port side, but last week my son I were on the starboard side and another adult on port side and it still leaned to the drivers side. My dealer says Malibu does that cuz more people sit on the port side than the driver side. ???

• Like 2

I’m guessing that’s mostly torque and you may need to balance it with some lead on the port side. I demoed G25 last fall that did the same thing, and the dealer told me he has to put 500 lbs of lead on the port side to counteract the torque lean, but he hadn’t done it for that demo.

Edited by NWBU

Crazy.  I will play with it some more but am a bit concerned how much bias will have to be run to even our wakes for wakeboarding.  Is this the price for having a torquey 17” prop under there? Maybe.  More to come as we keep learning on this thing.  

Edited by hethj7

That's not right. even the wake is not symmetrical. shouldn't have any lean. it would only take the engine mounts to be out slightly to cause a weight issue like that...