Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Malibu 25LSV maiden voyage

Dfowkes

Putting together my parts list for dealer to install I'll post when I finish, additional fill and drain pumps for rear will need custom sacs with extra drain port for bag drain pumps and an addi6 for fill while still having two connected to Hard tanks. 

8 hours ago, Dfowkes said:

I will say that the fill time in my 2019 25LSV is definitely faster than my 2016 25LSV.  But it did not measure the fill time.  Don't get me started about the pumps and rear fill times other members and myself have suggested dual pumps or something else so that the all the ballast would be full at same time.  It's a simple math problem, size of the tank and the output for the pump.  I love the wave from both of 25LSV's and the wait is annoying but worth every second.  

I did not think the fill Time was that bad on stock. I climbed in the boat and hit fill. While I was waiting for my wife. By the time I made it out of the no wake zone I was full. About 75 yards at max. Maybe I need to try again. But I thought about 5-7 mins. Maybe new boat happiness intervened. @Dfowkes have you had a chance to try the 2805 yet? 

12 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I did not think the fill Time was that bad on stock. I climbed in the boat and hit fill. While I was waiting for my wife. By the time I made it out of the no wake zone I was full. About 75 yards at max. Maybe I need to try again. But I thought about 5-7 mins. Maybe new boat happiness intervened. @Dfowkes have you had a chance to try the 2805 yet? 

My G used essentially the same engine, just the PCM version, so I would expect similar performance.  They used 2:1 tranny and 17 X 17 prop.  The Malibu 25 LSV stock prop is 17 X 15, so I thought my top speed would be quite a bit slower, but it appears about the same.  At 2700 feet where I live, I was super pleased with the hole shot.  I have had a spare 17 X 16.5 that I never did put on the G23, so it might be something I try out, after I am done with the first 10 hours.  For now, I don't want to risk lugging it down.  

12 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Putting together my parts list for dealer to install I'll post when I finish, additional fill and drain pumps for rear will need custom sacs with extra drain port for bag drain pumps and an addi6 for fill while still having two connected to Hard tanks. 

Can't you add an extra ports aftermarket?  I think you can, but I have never done it.  Maybe @MLA will chime in, I think I heard of doing it from him and wonder if he has any comments about reliability.    Not having to get extra custom sacks would be a nice dollar saver.  

57 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Can't you add an extra ports aftermarket?  I think you can, but I have never done it.  Maybe @MLA will chime in, I think I heard of doing it from him and wonder if he has any comments about reliability.    Not having to get extra custom sacks would be a nice dollar saver.  

I have added ports to sacs. No reported failures as of yet. 

13 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

No my boat has only been wet with me that one time. Still only 3.6 hours.  Last weekend was my wife's birthday and this weekend we will be in Tahoe.  I need to get some hours before it starts warming up.  @Sparky450  How is the stereo build going?

33 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

No my boat has only been wet with me that one time. Still only 3.6 hours.  Last weekend was my wife's birthday and this weekend we will be in Tahoe.  I need to get some hours before it starts warming up.  @Sparky450  How is the stereo build going?

Hopefully, get it back this weekend. Even if we just missed the best weekend of the spring.   It will be worth the wait. Warm, dry weather will be here soon.

I have a question that I have been meaning to ask.  My home lake is fairly small, so turning around while surfing is something that has to be done.  While out on the lake during both my demo and since, when surfing on the port side, if I turn into the wave, turning the wheel all the way, the boat barely turns.   I once left myself what I thought was plenty of room, and ended up running out of real estate because the turning radius was so poor, and had to decrease to idle speed to turn around.  

Turning to the starboard while surfing port often washes out the wave, and there is a good chance I would lose my rider.  

I know that this is somewhat normal because of the surf gate, but it seems excessive to me.  I explained this to the mechanic when I did my purchase, and he adjusted the key in the rudder.  I was pretty sure that wouldn't do anything, and I was correct.  

Is this normal?  It is practically a safety concern that I can only turn about 10 degrees to the left.  It seems to turn entirely fine while not surfing.  

9 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I have a question that I have been meaning to ask.  My home lake is fairly small, so turning around while surfing is something that has to be done.  While out on the lake during both my demo and since, when surfing on the port side, if I turn into the wave, turning the wheel all the way, the boat barely turns.   I once left myself what I thought was plenty of room, and ended up running out of real estate because the turning radius was so poor, and had to decrease to idle speed to turn around.  

Turning to the starboard while surfing port often washes out the wave, and there is a good chance I would lose my rider.  

I know that this is somewhat normal because of the surf gate, but it seems excessive to me.  I explained this to the mechanic when I did my purchase, and he adjusted the key in the rudder.  I was pretty sure that wouldn't do anything, and I was correct.  

Is this normal?  It is practically a safety concern that I can only turn about 10 degrees to the left.  It seems to turn entirely fine while not surfing.  

We either turn towards the surfer slowly (like you) or throw the rope back to the surfer, retract the surf gate, and turn quickly away from the surfer, then re-extend the gate and resume surfing.

ahopkins22LSV

We surf on a very long narrow lake at times and we typically just drop at each end and just restart real quick. Throwing the rope the rider and turning without SG extended would work too but it’s just more simple for my driver and boat crew (who are half toddlers now) to just stop and restart real quick. We typically try a trick that is new so we fall the majority of the time anyway. 

27 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

It is very difficult to turn against the surf gate.  If you are using surf left then you should turn to the left and if surfing right turn to the right.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dfowkes said:

It is very difficult to turn against the surf gate.  If you are using surf left then you should turn to the left and if surfing right turn to the right.

This is going to be the biggest thing to get used to going from GSA to Surfgate… GSA has almost no impact to steering in either direction.  I experienced "I can't turn the boat" during our 23LSV demo. :-/  I wish Malibu would program in some logic so that if you turn full lock it retraced the SG just enough to help you maneuver.

Alright, for those with the 25, mine tracks straight but at around 25 or maybe closer to 27 MPH or so if I take my hand off the wheel it pulls hard to the left.  I suppose I could adjust the rudder, but don’t know why it only does it at higher speeds.   

I know turning was brought up before, but I am so how nimble this boat is at speed given its size.  

20 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Alright, for those with the 25, mine tracks straight but at around 25 or maybe closer to 27 MPH or so if I take my hand off the wheel it pulls hard to the left.  I suppose I could adjust the rudder, but don’t know why it only does it at higher speeds.   

I know turning was brought up before, but I am so how nimble this boat is at speed given its size.  

My 21 VLX did this. I always assumed this was natural of any boat to do this at high speeds. This was even mentioned in the Boaters safety course my wife took. This one of the reason not to take your hands off the wheel.

Dude. These boats drive so good.  My wife was concerned about a barge going to a 25.  Even she said it drives and handles awesome. 😁😎

Edited by Sparky450
This coming from an 07 21 LSV.😎
9 hours ago, Hemmy said:

My 21 VLX did this. I always assumed this was natural of any boat to do this at high speeds. This was even mentioned in the Boaters safety course my wife took. This one of the reason not to take your hands off the wheel.

I don’t remember my 23 grabbing as hard as the 25 does at speed.  I may be wrong though.  Drifting to one side maybe, but it wants to take a pretty hard left if I release the wheel.  

21 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I don’t remember my 23 grabbing as hard as the 25 does at speed.  I may be wrong though.  Drifting to one side maybe, but it wants to take a pretty hard left if I release the wheel.  

You can probably adjust some of it out with the rudder tab. Doubt you will get it all gone though.

22 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

You can probably adjust some of it out with the rudder tab. Doubt you will get it all gone though.

If you do adjust it, do it in credit card thickness increments as a little goes a long way IME. My '10 had about that much to port and tracked like a laser. This '19 has zero adjustment port or starboard and neutral steering surprisingly.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:23 AM, gregtay said:

This is going to be the biggest thing to get used to going from GSA to Surfgate… GSA has almost no impact to steering in either direction.  I experienced "I can't turn the boat" during our 23LSV demo. :-/  I wish Malibu would program in some logic so that if you turn full lock it retraced the SG just enough to help you maneuver.

Couple of things: You can push button for surf gate center above rotary knob, or center for surf gate on the command screen and the gate will retract,  also if you let off throttle and go to neutral the gate will automatically retract.  If you have ever used a suckgate on an older boat surf system you can almost not turn against the side that has the suckgate stuck to it. I like the sugestion that when you are running out of space and need to turn have the rider practice a trick.  If they fall you need to stop or if they pull it off even better stop to celebrate the trick.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

Couple of things: You can push button for surf gate center above rotary knob, or center for surf gate on the command screen and the gate will retract,  also if you let off throttle and go to neutral the gate will automatically retract.  If you have ever used a suckgate on an older boat surf system you can almost not turn against the side that has the suckgate stuck to it. I like the sugestion that when you are running out of space and need to turn have the rider practice a trick.  If they fall you need to stop or if they pull it off even better stop to celebrate the trick.

My daughters and wife are known to just stay in the pocket and carve, and carve and carve.  If it keeps them happy, then I am happy, so I won't complain.  But it is not unusual for the Mrs to run for 20 minutes without falling.  

35 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

My daughters and wife are known to just stay in the pocket and carve, and carve and carve.  If it keeps them happy, then I am happy, so I won't complain.  But it is not unusual for the Mrs to run for 20 minutes without falling.  

If you turn against the wave / with the gate, your rider should still be able to stay in.  the wave gets a little flatter and longer.  Give the "I'm turning around" signal (which rider should know means pay attention and don't get dropped) and if rider moves up and concentrates (mildly) on staying in the pocket, it's a nonissue.  At least on my short boat.

My 20-minutes-of-carving spouse is used to this procedure when we go to a smaller lake.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

If you turn against the wave / with the gate, your rider should still be able to stay in.  the wave gets a little flatter and longer.  Give the "I'm turning around" signal (which rider should know means pay attention and don't get dropped) and if rider moves up and concentrates (mildly) on staying in the pocket, it's a nonissue.  At least on my short boat.

My 20-minutes-of-carving spouse is used to this procedure when we go to a smaller lake.

Glad I am not the only one with a wife that goes 20 minutes straight.  She will be excited to notice the Malibu swim platform is lower in the water, and it will be easier to just ride onto the swimstep with dry hair.  

I've gotten used to the G23, and it seemed if you turned very hard away from the wave, it was tough to stay in it.  Good to know the surfgate boat might be better in that regard.